Stone's 2003 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stone's 2003

-Jar-
02-22-2004, 08:49 AM
thanks Stone.. LOTS of stuff on here I've never heard before. It's amazing how much the 80's are back, plus.. tons of "folky" stuff too.. I can kind of understand why the 80's are back because, well, there's always a 20 year cycle to things.. in the 90's a lot of the post-rock bands looked back at the prog and kraut-rock of the 70's.. now bands are looking back to the quirky-ness of many 80's bands. The folk thing though, that's kind of out of left field. Lots of accoustic intruments in these songs. I used to think I had my finger on the pulse of what was going on in the alternative music world, now I'm your typical clueless thirtysomething listening mostly to the music of my younger days..

Also got some WHEAT from Audiobill.. thanks!

-jar

Slosh
02-22-2004, 09:01 AM
...is finding some good music on a Stonecomp. I haven't had the time to really get to know it all that well yet but over all I do like what I'm hearing (except for the stupidass rubber ducky in the Four Tet song - ruins it for me).

I need to dig through my stack of comps and see if there's any other Constantines tracks hidden away ;)

Jim Clark
02-22-2004, 10:56 AM
...is finding some good music on a Stonecomp. I haven't had the time to really get to know it all that well yet but over all I do like what I'm hearing (except for the stupidass rubber ducky in the Four Tet song - ruins it for me).

I need to dig through my stack of comps and see if there's any other Constantines tracks hidden away ;)

That rubber ducky squeek cracks me up every single time! I love it.

There are some really great toons of Stone's comp. The Black Eyes, "Deformative" track has been getting lots of repeats lately. And I'm looking forward to the album release from TV ON The Radio.

jc

JDaniel
02-22-2004, 07:59 PM
And I'm with Slosh - never met a Stone comp that didn't leave me smiling.

The standouts for me so far (need to give it a serious start to finish listen, instead of a when I'm in the car listen) are:

Constantines - Great opening track

British Sea Power

Wrens (I like this band more everytime I hear something from them.)

The Broken Family Band

Starlight Mints

and Joe Strummer

The one disappointment was Frog Eyes. I'd not heard them before, and recently read some intriguing reviews. This one didn't do it for me on 1st spin. I'll give it another chance.

Thanks Stone for another fine kompilation.

JD

Stone
02-22-2004, 08:19 PM

I believe Drainage is a place to look.

BTW, thanks for the kind words, guys. I know that comp has quite a range of styles, so I really expected some mixed reactions to it.

nobody
02-23-2004, 05:09 AM
Quite a bit of good stuff on there. I was pretty fond of that track by Iron & Wine. Is it a good representation of the album? I ask because covers can sometimes be deceptive.

jasn
02-23-2004, 05:48 AM
Thanks from me too Stone. Excellent mix, with a few challenges to boot. I'll be playing this quite a bit.

Ex Lion Tamer
02-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Got mine on Friday, but didn't have a chance to give it a spin until this morning...first three songs are just fine, and I just heard and can now place Stone's "Best seventeen year old ever" line...always nice to solve a mystery.

Wouldn't you know it..copie #2 was in this morning's mail. I guess you did send it originally Stone, whether you remember or not. That's alright, "Behind the Curtain" got to tag along with copie #2. :cool:

If anybody out there reading this didn't get a copy, and would like to know what the fuss is about, lemme know and I'll pop my extra copy in the mail.

Thanks Stone.

Audio Girl
02-23-2004, 09:39 AM
ELT,

I'd love to have a copy, if you don't mind. Anything that I can send your way? By the way, Mark, I just purchased a used/refurbished Linn Ittok LV II tonearm for my LP12 and it made a HUGE difference. When I purchased the new turntable last year, they threw in a used Linn Basik arm which was okay but I know now didn't do the table justice. Purchased the Ittok from my local audio store where I purchased the TT, and they had refurbished it to as new condition. Has taken listening to vinyl to a whole new level (I didn't realize that tonearms could make such a difference). I had planned on purchasing a new Akito II in the future but my salesman said that he thought the Ittok was a better tonearm...almost up to Ekos standards, but not quite. And significantly cheaper than an Akito II or Ekos.

MH

Swish
02-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Gee, where have I heard that before? Anyhoot, yes, it's one fine comp with lots of stuff I've never heard, along with a few familiar, but excellent, tunes from the Wrens, The Shins, British Sea Power and The Starlight Mints. I've spun it about 6 or 7 times and am not tiring of it.

Swish

Ex Lion Tamer
02-24-2004, 05:59 AM
I'll get it out to you in a couple days Mary. It's really a great comp, a little more singer/songwriter than you or I may be used to from Stone, but one great song after another.

Glad your vinyl rig is bringing you such enjoyment. An arm can make a HUGE difference, especially if you use an equivalently good cartridge.

My vinyl withdrawl is getting out of hand. My TT has been out of commission since October, and I'm going nuts. My motor has been at the manufacturer for three months now. Looks like I'm going to invest in an aftermarket DC motor (Origin Live), which is pricey, but it's supposed to be a big upgrade. Apparently highly recommended for Linn too, the table for which the motor was originally designed. I'll keep you posted.

Mark

audiobill
02-24-2004, 08:03 AM
I believe Drainage is a place to look.

BTW, thanks for the kind words, guys. I know that comp has quite a range of styles, so I really expected some mixed reactions to it.

Hey, Stone.

I just received your generous package this morning. Can't wait to give your comp a spin!!

Based upon all of the listener feedback, I'm in for a real treat. Of course, I knew that since this is a Stone Comp.

Several things to look forward to when I get home from work.
Thanks-a-ton,
Bill aka audiobill