Monitor for DVD-A's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Monitor for DVD-A's

Rich-n-Texas
06-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Probably already asked and answered, but...

I don't want to turn on my TV everytime I set up a DVD-A, the special features (i.e. concert footage, interviews...etc.) or Mp3's that have a text based song listing. My DVD changer has an S-video out as well as a composite out (Component out is connected to the TV), so my questions are... will I be able to connect an inexpensive LCD monitor to the S-vid or Composite out jack, will there be any resolution issues with a 15" LCD, and are there any cabling considerations to keep in mind? I'm assuming there's a setting in the DVD changer's setup menu to direct the video out to another display device.

PeruvianSkies
06-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Rich,

Great question and this is also one reason I DO NOT have a dedicated 'listening room' because things like concert DVD's and DVD-A's still require visual representation and therefore I need a TV to do so, so I figure why not make my listening room the same as my viewing room with the best equipment combined rather than make two rooms.

The other thing that is annoying with DVD-A is the lack of any standards, meaning the format really is all over the place when it comes to the menus and different audio, plus the navigation on some DVD-A's is like a maze of confusion.

Rich-n-Texas
06-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Rich,

Great question and this is also one reason I DO NOT have a dedicated 'listening room' because things like concert DVD's and DVD-A's still require visual representation and therefore I need a TV to do so, so I figure why not make my listening room the same as my viewing room with the best equipment combined rather than make two rooms.
With my DLP TV (hoping pixelthis doesn't see this) I don't want to burn the bulb just to set up the DVD-A.

The other thing that is annoying with DVD-A is the lack of any standards, meaning the format really is all over the place when it comes to the menus and different audio, plus the navigation on some DVD-A's is like a maze of confusion.
Yeah, you're not kidding! With the two Genesis DVD-A's all I really have to do is just hit enter for audio format and then enter again after the disc loads to play the DVD, but with the Elton John and Queensryche DVD's I have to go through all sorts of gyrations before I can hear the music. The DT DVD is another story all together. A small, inexpensive LCD monitor that would fit in the audio cabinet would be just fine for what I need it to do.

GMichael
06-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Probably already asked and answered, but...

I don't want to turn on my TV everytime I set up a DVD-A, the special features (i.e. concert footage, interviews...etc.) or Mp3's that have a text based song listing. My DVD changer has an S-video out as well as a composite out (Component out is connected to the TV), so my questions are... will I be able to connect an inexpensive LCD monitor to the S-vid or Composite out jack, will there be any resolution issues with a 15" LCD, and are there any cabling considerations to keep in mind? I'm assuming there's a setting in the DVD changer's setup menu to direct the video out to another display device.

Tex,

I have a similar issue with not wanting to turn on my projector for these things. I have no trouble running a secondary cable to a smaller monitor in the room. The monitor I'm using is very old so I'm using a coax cable. Don't see why an S-video cable would have any trouble if your monitor will accept it.
S-vid would be better than Composite.
Don't see anything wrong with using a 15" LCD as long as you are close enough to view it.

Rich-n-Texas
06-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Tex,

I have a similar issue with not wanting to turn on my projector for these things. I have no trouble running a secondary cable to a smaller monitor in the room. The monitor I'm using is very old so I'm using a coax cable. Don't see why an S-video cable would have any trouble if your monitor will accept it.
S-vid would be better than Composite.
Don't see anything wrong with using a 15" LCD as long as you are close enough to view it.
"Very old monitor" = old CRT computer monitor? LCD monitors I've looked at so far are VGA or RGB. I haven't seen one w/S-video in, and I wasn't able to find anything like an S-video to VGA cable at Parts Express. Can you describe this coax cable you're using?

You make a good point about monitor size. A 15" may not be large enough for my old eyes when viewing from 8 - 10' away.

bobsticks
06-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Hey Rich,
You may want to consult the manual for your player as many with S-Vid have auto defaults that, while making it possible to view on the desired smaller LCD, may not allow you to switch between the monitors without unplugging one. I suppose a switching unit is an option but may ultimately prove to be a bigger pain in the rear than just turning on the main unit. Good luck.

Cheers

PeruvianSkies
06-26-2007, 10:20 PM
If there was a way to have your receiver come with a small 3X3 mini LCD on the front panel, that if you connect your video cables through, you can see your display and can have the option of turning it on and off. I know that the Parasound Halo surround processor comes with a front display like this that is 5X5, quite nice, but very costly unit!

Rich-n-Texas
06-27-2007, 04:18 AM
Hey Rich,
You may want to consult the manual for your player as many with S-Vid have auto defaults that, while making it possible to view on the desired smaller LCD, may not allow you to switch between the monitors without unplugging one. I suppose a switching unit is an option but may ultimately prove to be a bigger pain in the rear than just turning on the main unit. Good luck.

Cheers
Thanks Bobsticks. I was too lazy to go through the changer's setup last night; my manual is more like a maze so I try to avoid it at all costs, but it's very possible that I can only output to one connection at a time. And like you said, a switcher wouldn't be worth the hassle. Hopefully GM'll give me more details about his setup.

Rich-n-Texas
06-27-2007, 11:12 AM
I was talking to an engineer here at work who has recently done some IP testing on a Digital Audio/Video chip and he tells me that what I propose won't work. He said the only way to accomplish this would be by using the HDMI out of the the DVD player, through an HDMI - DVI adaptor cable then into a DVI capable monitor. So, since that Oppo DV-981 player, which does have HDMI isn't in my near-term plans, I guess I'll have to live with my current arrangement. The engineer looked at me like I was being silly when I told him I'm trying to save on DLP bulb usage anyway.

Edit: I did just find a Dell monitor with built-in DVI/S-Video/composite jacks, but the wide-screen LCD is $400.00, so that's out.

GMichael
06-28-2007, 09:43 AM
"Very old monitor" = old CRT computer monitor? LCD monitors I've looked at so far are VGA or RGB. I haven't seen one w/S-video in, and I wasn't able to find anything like an S-video to VGA cable at Parts Express. Can you describe this coax cable you're using?

You make a good point about monitor size. A 15" may not be large enough for my old eyes when viewing from 8 - 10' away.

Old monitor = old 25" Sanyo CRT TV set. It only accepts the old coax cables from a cable company. My DVD let's me output through these as well as a multitude of newer style cables.
From 20 feet away it's hard to see well. But does a fine job of what I use it for. Calibrating the receiver can be done on the fly without turning off the program I am watching. There's no need to use the projector when listening to one of the music channels, but it's still nice to see who's on. Some things just don't need to be 106". 15" seems tight unless you'll be sitting closer.
What outputs do you have available?

bobsticks
06-28-2007, 09:53 AM
If there was a way to have your receiver come with a small 3X3 mini LCD on the front panel, that if you connect your video cables through, you can see your display and can have the option of turning it on and off. I know that the Parasound Halo surround processor comes with a front display like this that is 5X5, quite nice, but very costly unit!

The Rotel 1098 is just such a beast but, as you say, it is a bit pricey.

Rich-n-Texas
06-28-2007, 10:01 AM
When I thought about it a little more it came to me that you may have meant a CRT TV. I have an old 19" panasonic that I'm not using anymore, so that could potentially work. The available outputs at the DVD changer are S-Video and composite, the TV, like yours only accepts coax in, but I've got an RF modulator that will give me the conversion from S-Vid to coax. Finding a spot for the TV might be a problem, and like bobsticks says the DVD changer may only output to one display device at a time, but since I already have everything I need, I'll give it a shot. :thumbsup:

AR members: Feel free to dog GMichael in the event he doesn't answer your questions within a reasonable timeframe (2 - 3 hrs). He looses his place sometimes as a result of being bitten by a bear named Boo Boo a couple of years ago. :yesnod:

GMichael
06-28-2007, 10:35 AM
When I thought about it a little more it came to me that you may have meant a CRT TV. I have an old 19" panasonic that I'm not using anymore, so that could potentially work. The available outputs at the DVD changer are S-Video and composite, the TV, like yours only accepts coax in, but I've got an RF modulator that will give me the conversion from S-Vid to coax. Finding a spot for the TV might be a problem, and like bobsticks says the DVD changer may only output to one display device at a time, but since I already have everything I need, I'll give it a shot. :thumbsup:

AR members: Feel free to dog GMichael in the event he doesn't answer your questions within a reasonable timeframe (2 - 3 hrs). He looses his place sometimes as a result of being bitten by a bear named Boo Boo a couple of years ago. :yesnod:

Good luck with your project. My DVD-R can output on component to the projector and coax to the TV at the same time. But that may be because it also plays VHS. The VHS section has it's own inputs and outputs. It's a JVC DR-MX1S. http://dvr.about.com/b/a/218780.htm

I loose my place due to many reasons. Some are self inflicked over many decades. Others are due to.... due to..... uhm.... What was I saying?

Here's where I put mine.

Rich-n-Texas
06-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Maybe that swivel wall-mount stand I bought will hold the old TV. Then I could do similar to what you did: mount it up & out of the way.

GMichael
06-28-2007, 11:59 AM

Brilliant! You just reminded me of another option. If Tex runs his component cables into his receiver, he could then use it as the switching unit bobsticks brought up. He could then run two sets of component cables out. One to his TV and another to his monitor. And if his monitor won't take component, I'm sure he'll have many more options available.

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2007, 05:51 AM
There are three sets of component video jacks on the backpanel. One set is labelled DVD, the next set is labelled DTV/CBL, and the third set is labelled Monitor Out. So it looks like it's a two in - one out A-B switch type of thing which is the opposite of what you describe. I also have two sets of Composite labelled the same as the Comp in's, and composite VCR in-out along with a composite Video Monitor out in that section. Unfortunately I don't think my receiver has the ability to route Component In to Composite Video Monitor out.

GMichael
06-29-2007, 06:43 AM
There are three sets of component video jacks on the backpanel. One set is labelled DVD, the next set is labelled DTV/CBL, and the third set is labelled Monitor Out. So it looks like it's a two in - one out A-B switch type of thing which is the opposite of what you describe. I also have two sets of Composite labelled the same as the Comp in's, and composite VCR in-out along with a composite Video Monitor out in that section. Unfortunately I don't think my receiver has the ability to route Component In to Composite Video Monitor out.

Bummer. Did you check your DVD to see if you can use the S-vid to an RF mod?

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Bummer. Did you check your DVD to see if you can use the S-vid to an RF mod?
Yes, it will convert S-Video to RF, so that's a good starting point. Getting access to the DVD changer isn't too difficult but not so with the receiver, so I try to avoid yanking that out of the cabinet as much as possible. Thanks for the suggestions.

GMichael
06-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Yes, it will convert S-Video to RF, so that's a good starting point. Getting access to the DVD changer isn't too difficult but not so with the receiver, so I try to avoid yanking that out of the cabinet as much as possible. Thanks for the suggestions.

Good luck. Don't forget to post pics when you're done.

Rich-n-Texas
06-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I won't be able to use my swivel wall mount shelf because it's not deep enough, but the little Panny 1988 vintage TV is out of the way, so it'll work for the time being. Apparently the DVD changer will make A & V content available on Component and Composite (don't know about S-Vid cause the RF modulator has no provision for it) because I was able to view the Genesis DVD-A setup options at both the DLP & CRT, so that's good.

:thumbsup: and thanks for the help y'all!

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/th_DVDMonitor1.jpg (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/DVDMonitor1.jpg)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/th_DVDMonitor2.jpg (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/DVDMonitor2.jpg)

Now I'm off to change my sig! :biggrin5:

bobsticks
06-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Congrats on solving the problem Rich. Why do I suspect that next comes a nice little LCD monitor?

Rich-n-Texas
06-30-2007, 03:38 PM
When I'm ready to upgrade to a more advanced DVD/SACD player I'll be able to use the HDMI out to a DVI LCD which will fit nicely inside the audio cabinet.

Rich-n-Texas
07-01-2007, 07:52 AM
No it won't Rich. :out:

I'm old, leave me alone!

Quagmire
07-28-2007, 07:59 AM
This need for a video display to navigate DVD-A menus is one of the reasons (among many) why, when this Hi Rez audio format war between DVD-A and SACD began, I always supported SACD. For those of us who truly enjoy music only listening without the need for video entertainment, SACD was the obvious choice. I've always felt that if the SACD camp had introduced these discs from the beginning as predominently Hybrid and Multichannel, there wouldn't even have been a "war": It would have been over before it began, and we who love music would have been left with a better quality music format (Sans Video Display) that received widespread backing from record companies and was not relegated as a niche market for only a select few. Not that I'm bitter about it or anything!

Q