Does Optical Digital Audio Input = Toslink? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does Optical Digital Audio Input = Toslink?

Thom Kent
06-25-2007, 12:27 PM
I have a Zenith XBS344 DVD/VCR Receiver Home Theater that I purchased 4 to 5 years ago. I plan on buying a Westinghouse LTV-40w1 HDC LCD TV/DVD Combo. The only way to configure the audio output of the Westinghouse to 5.1 is to use the SPDIF RCA Coaxial jack. The Zenith has an Optical Digital Audio Input that appears to be a Toslink jack. Zenith Tech Support says that it is NOT a Toslink connection. I realize that I would have to purchase a Coaxial to Toslink Converter (plus compatiable cables). My concern is what is the difference between a Optical Digital Audio Input and a Toslink Input?

kexodusc
06-25-2007, 01:19 PM
I have a Zenith XBS344 DVD/VCR Receiver Home Theater that I purchased 4 to 5 years ago. I plan on buying a Westinghouse LTV-40w1 HDC LCD TV/DVD Combo. The only way to configure the audio output of the Westinghouse to 5.1 is to use the SPDIF RCA Coaxial jack. The Zenith has an Optical Digital Audio Input that appears to be a Toslink jack. Zenith Tech Support says that it is NOT a Toslink connection. I realize that I would have to purchase a Coaxial to Toslink Converter (plus compatiable cables). My concern is what is the difference between a Optical Digital Audio Input and a Toslink Input?

As far as I know...nothing...same cable. The terms are used interchangeably.

musicman1999
06-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Why not use the dvd player in the Zenith.Would be easier connection wise.

bill

Thom Kent
06-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Just trying to expand my options. This way I can watch the TV (football) or DVD (think aquarium or burning logs) from the Westinghouse and play a CD off of the Zenith.

Woochifer
06-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Ditto what the others said -- Toslink is the same thing as an optical digital audio cable. From what you're describing with the Toslink-to-coaxial converter plus the necessary cables, you're potentially looking to spend more on the cabling than another VCR/DVD player would cost! I guess the added functionality would be nice, but I just hate the idea of the cabling potentially costing more than the hardware itself!

O'Shag
06-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Thom,

My guess is the money it would cost for a switch/converter would not be worth it. But its worth popping in to Fry's Electronics or some such place to see if they have something that would suffice. If not, you may want to check out other receivers on the used market. There are some excellent deals to be had...

noddin0ff
06-26-2007, 04:34 AM
The diagram on the spec sheet (http://www.zenith.com/sub_prod/downloads_pdf/XBS344.pdf)looks exactly like a toslink input. The only formats for optical connections I'm aware of are mini-optical and toslink. I see lots of Coax to toslink adaptors in the ~$25 range
(http://www.google.com/products?q=coaxial+to+toslink+converter&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=K09&um=1&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title) and since you can make the long run (if any all with cheap coaxial cable, you only need a short optical cable which can be as cheap as ~$3 (http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&CAT_ID=56&ObjectGroup_ID=151&SO=2)

Seems like a reasonable solution. Good luck!

pixelthis
07-04-2007, 12:36 AM
You are aware that on most TV'S the digital audio out is only available on the tuners? And the built in DVD of course
If possible I would bypass the tv and go straight to the receiver
And (funds permitting) I would see about getting a real HT receiver, a pretty good one is cheaper than dirt these days:0:

noddin0ff
07-04-2007, 06:05 AM
You are aware that on most TV'S the digital audio out is only available on the tuners? And the built in DVD of course
If possible I would bypass the tv and go straight to the receiver
And (funds permitting) I would see about getting a real HT receiver, a pretty good one is cheaper than dirt these days:0:

I don't get it. What else is there on a TV/DVD than the tuner and the DVD? My understanding is by using the optical out he IS intending to bypass and go straight to the receiver. Wasn't that the whole point of his post?