Helium powered speakers on ebay.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Helium powered speakers on ebay..

bubbagump
06-25-2007, 03:10 AM
Speakers 4200/pr, you provide the helium..

http://tinyurl.com/2tkhbr

Worf101
06-25-2007, 03:26 AM
WTF? Can you explain the concept to me. I've only been in this hobby about 12 years now and I've NEVAH heard of helium powered speakers.

Da Worfster

Rock789
06-25-2007, 06:55 PM
wasn't there a thread about this type of speaker a year or so ago?
these things create extreme amounts of O3 (Ozone)
I think...

emorphien
06-25-2007, 07:47 PM
wasn't there a thread about this type of speaker a year or so ago?
these things create extreme amounts of O3 (Ozone)
I think...
From Helium?

I too want to know what these are supposed to do.

emorphien
06-26-2007, 01:27 PM
found some info!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_speaker

E-Stat
06-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Speakers 4200/pr, you provide the helium..
There was a very amusing review of the Hill speaker years ago in The Absolute Sound. The overall take was that it was an incredible tweeter in search of a speaker. The midrange, in particular, was quite offensive. HP made a reference to the midrange honk "My heart goes where the wild goose goes" which incensed Dr. Hill to no end. :)

rw

jpchleapas
07-21-2007, 04:04 PM
The same pair of speakers have been coming up for sale on ebay from time to time for well over a year now. They may sound OK but as for ease of use, repairs, and finding any spare parts, well it could easily become a very grim image. I tend to avoid items that have multiple replacement parts made out of unobtanium. I have learned this lesson the hard way. Meaning you have the potential to be SOL if you need speaker parts for these eclectic speakers. I personally want to come in and turn on my stereo. Granted my 2-speaker stereo, and especially my HT are both getting pretty complex now. I sure do not want to have to check the gas bottles on any speakers in addition to what I now am doing. YMMV John