Why lock the Bose 901 sam_pro thread? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why lock the Bose 901 sam_pro thread?

bubbagump
06-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Christ, at least it's entertaining and encourages (humorous) posting.

Seeing as posts here are so rare and everyone seems to have fled the place to other audio forums you'd think the mods would encourage participation.

The place is an f-ing desert.

Resident Loser
06-25-2007, 05:00 AM

Seeing as posts here are so rare and everyone seems to have fled the place to other audio forums you'd think the mods would encourage participation.

The place is an f-ing desert.

...I'll play Devil's advocate here, and please keep in mind I happen to like Bose and my 901-lls, which are set up and EQd to my altered room, have served me well since 1975, the first post of that thread was dated Feb. 2004 and many of the folks who posted to it are no longer regulars...

But I will agree, this palce is bone-dry, dead, otherwise defective and nearly defunct...

And one of the reasons this place it is what it is, is due to the fact that many of the folks who posted to that thread are no longer regulars...for various and assorted reasons. As Skeptic pointed out, while he was still a regular, this place was taken over and is owned and operated by a marketing group that was called E-centives, now Invenda...

jimHJJ(...you do the math...)

topspeed
06-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Well, the thread was 3 years old!

However, it is pretty respresentative that AR is now definitely in its twilight years.

Florian
06-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Thats because the people with good systems dont care anymore and dont post on anything serious. Its all about "deals" and "cheap but good" and High End is Voodoo......woooooo someone makes more money then me :sad: :sad: I have foreseen this months ago....LOL Just a bunch of n00bies now that cant give advice because of the lack of experience.

Rock789
06-25-2007, 07:00 PM
be nice to noobs
you were one too once
:rofl:

Resident Loser
06-26-2007, 04:28 AM
Thats because the people with good systems dont care anymore and dont post on anything serious. Its all about "deals" and "cheap but good" and High End is Voodoo......woooooo someone makes more money then me :sad: :sad: I have foreseen this months ago....LOL Just a bunch of n00bies now that cant give advice because of the lack of experience.

...what the cat dragged in!

The truth hurts eh Flo? And that's exactly what this place should be...best bang for the buck...You don't have to spend the GNP of a small country to get good sound. Hi-end Voodoo? What prezackly does a $400 bubinga-wood volume control knob do for the sound?

For less than a grand, you can put together a 2ch system that would satisfy the overwhelming majority of listeners...of course, OTOH, there are those who have more money than brains and love to bask in that glorious fact, indeed relish it...

jimHJJ(...I mean, who else but you could bypass a speaker's switch or two and consider it a tweak?...)

E-Stat
06-26-2007, 07:43 AM

Although I am speculating, I think this thread was closed simply because it was three years old! I didn't see any of the contentious-name-calling sort of activity that some threads have fostered. And which has caused some posters to be banned since they demonstrated they couldn't play nicely. One of the posters in this thread was not only banned here but at another audio board because of that. Share your opinion and why you believe or have experienced that to be the case - there's simply no need for personal attacks.

Deserts are converted to oases (or golf courses!) by adding water. It only takes a minute or two or create a new post! Maybe RL would like to open a new thread and explain how as a long term user of the 901 he has enjoyed the product despite others not sharing his preference.

rw

E-Stat
06-26-2007, 07:51 AM
I mean, who else but you could bypass a speaker's switch or two and consider it a tweak?...
That would be me. After twenty five years of use, I rewired the power supplies with my former electrostats. The original wire had oxidized and was in need of replacement. At the same time, I experimented with bypassing the signal fuse (having only popped one on a single occasion - and it was a decades-old fuse at that). It was most certainly a "tweak" in that the change enhanced resolution in a subtle manner. The improvement was certainly not substantial - just noticeable. Isn't that what tweaks are?

Don't recall Florian (or anyone here for that matter) make a case for using wooden knobs.

rw

Resident Loser
06-26-2007, 12:30 PM
...apparently you don't recall the circumstance to which I am referring...Flo produced charts and graphs and schematics, thumping his chest as though he had discovered the meaning of life or rediscovered fire...I, (and as I recall) jneutron, FLZ and possibly even Woodman pointed out that his rewire (which may have actually bypassed nothing) made zero diff electrically.

Further, in his post, he made the generalization that hi-end is considered voodoo 'round these parts...No, actually it's $400 knobs and the more egregious examples of that sort that are considered voodoo, and they are what draws fire...Much like his woe-is-me oversimplification of an ongoing issue.

Insofar as my 30+ yrs. of satisfaction is concerned, I have, over the years here, put forth my observations re: Bose 901-lls. Since I make no claims or representations that anything is the "best", there is no compelling reason for me to repeat it all, but as time allows and since you asked so nicely, I'll be happy to do so...

jimHJJ(...more than happy...)

E-Stat
06-26-2007, 12:58 PM
...apparently you don't recall the circumstance to which I am referring.
A search of "knob" and "wood" yields nine results, most of which have nothing to do with the topic at hand. It seems that only you and Bubbagump have brought up the topic of the $400 knobs.

..Flo produced charts and graphs and schematics, thumping his chest as though he had discovered the meaning of life or rediscovered fire...I, (and as I recall) jneutron, FLZ and possibly even Woodman pointed out that his rewire (which may have actually bypassed nothing) made zero diff electrically.
Help me understand the connection between rewiring a crossover and wooden knobs.

Insofar as my 30+ yrs. of satisfaction is concerned, I have, over the years here, put forth my observations re: Bose 901-lls. Since I make no claims or representations that anything is the "best", there is no compelling reason for me to repeat it all, but as time allows and since you asked so nicely, I'll be happy to do so...
Very well then. Do you share Skeptic/Soundmind's notion that they need external tweeters? I think he installed three skyward facing ones to his pair (as well to his AR-9s).

rw

Resident Loser
06-27-2007, 04:29 AM
A search of "knob" and "wood" yields nine results, most of which have nothing to do with the topic at hand. It seems that only you and Bubbagump have brought up the topic of the $400 knobs.

Help me understand the connection between rewiring a crossover and wooden knobs.

Very well then. Do you share Skeptic/Soundmind's notion that they need external tweeters? I think he installed three skyward facing ones to his pair (as well to his AR-9s).

rw

...Flo's generalized statement/indictment stands, as does his weeping and gnashing of teeth and yet my reference to the idiocy that is simply a part of high-end tweakdom comes under closer scrutiny? Why does that not surprise me? I could have used other examples, but I like the word "bubinga".

Re: Skeptic's tweeters...No...emphatically...Any "hybridizing" by adding more direct drivers into the recipe defeats the purpose IMHO...and when he first suggested it, I voiced that very same opinion as I recall...I will touch on that in my 901 post. I also took issue with his methodology re: using ears only in the set-up of room EQing.

jimHJJ(...bubunga, bubinga, bubinga...There! I've said it again...)

E-Stat
06-27-2007, 04:52 AM
.,,,and yet my reference to the idiocy that is simply a part of high-end tweakdom comes under closer scrutiny?
In all fairness, have you actually heard of any audio magazine, webzine, reviewer, poster here or elsewhere ever endorse your whipping post that you say is part of the high end? I'd be curious to read such.

No...emphatically...Any "hybridizing" by adding more direct drivers into the recipe defeats the purpose IMHO
As a fan of full range designs, I agree.

rw

Resident Loser
06-27-2007, 05:30 AM
In all fairness, have you actually heard of any audio magazine, webzine, reviewer, poster here or elsewhere ever endorse your whipping post that you say is part of the high end? I'd be curious to read such.

...it may not be within your criteria, as in "endorsement", it certainly is aimed at and inextricably linked to the high-end market. Simply doing a GOOGLE on "wooden volume knobs" provided this:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C

And the responsible company provides more than this "tweak"...all aimed at the high-end it would seem...

jimHJJ(...if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...)

E-Stat
06-27-2007, 05:40 AM
...it may not be within your criteria, as in "endorsement"
I didn't think that any audio reviewer had ever commented on, much less recommended the knobs. Thanks for the confirmation.

rw

Resident Loser
06-27-2007, 06:53 AM
I didn't think that any audio reviewer had ever commented on, much less recommended the knobs. Thanks for the confirmation.

rw

...FYI, over at AA there are over 1000 citations (the search limit) site-wide related to "wooden control knobs" and 200 in the General Asylum alone...Given the fact AA has always been one of the more "tweak-ier" audio cites, and discounting the Boolean search vagaries, I'd say the odds were in my favor that there are more than just a few raves over the efficacy of this high-end tweak contained within that number...just as there are for wire elevators and eutectic solders, etc. Make that unsolicited anecdotal accolades, so typical of the market.

jimHJJ(...but whatever, it's still a product being marketed to the high-enders...)

E-Stat
06-27-2007, 07:07 AM
...FYI, over at AA there are over 1000 citations (the search limit) site-wide related to "wooden control knobs" and 200 in the General Asylum alone..
Unfortunately, the search uses "OR" boolean logic. Edit: correction - you can quote terms for a match. There are four hits across all forums for "wooden control knobs". Naturally, they all originate from you. Narrowing the scope a bit to "wooden knobs" reduces the search to eight hits, none of which are supportive.

.I'd say the odds were in my favor that there are more than just a few raves over the efficacy of this high-end tweak contained within that number.
That speculation is not supported by fact. Try again.

but whatever, it's still a product being marketed to the high-enders.
Magical 100 mpg carburetors were marketed to automobile owners. So what?

rw

Resident Loser
06-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Unfortunately, the search uses "OR" boolean logic. Edit: correction - you can quote terms for a match. There are four hits across all forums for "wooden control knobs". Naturally, they all originate from you. Narrowing the scope a bit to "wooden knobs" reduces the search to eight hits, none of which are supportive.

...of order, nothing over at AA originates from me, as I am not now, nor have I ever been an inmate...and if I am nominated I will not run and if elected I will not serve...HOWEVER...

If you change the option to AND and run a search, you will find no less of an authority on such tweaky matters in the guise of a certain JR expounding on the whys and wherefores re: wooden knobs...As usual, and quite typical of the breed, when someone takes issue with his statements, he uses the same ol' same ol' anti-naysayer ploys and rhetoric...

jimHJJ(...seems like there is some sort of handbook to be referred to when feeling threatened...)

E-Stat
06-27-2007, 08:47 AM
...of order, nothing over at AA originates from me,..
My mistake. I was referring to comments made here where you have spoken of them the most.

you will find no less of an authority on such tweaky matters in the guise of a certain JR expounding on the whys and wherefores re: wooden knobs..
Congratulations! After five posts you finally found one person who speculated as why such might work (as opposed to recommended or uses). Don't leave out, however, his concluding remarks:

Of course, the wooden knob does not HAVE to cost $485, and it may be that a solid lead knob (suitably coated in an inert substance to prevent lead poisoning) could work even better, or perhaps a sand-filled volume knob (the original hollow knob with a back cover?)

rw

Feanor
06-27-2007, 09:01 AM
...it may not be within your criteria, as in "endorsement", it certainly is aimed at and inextricably linked to the high-end market. Simply doing a GOOGLE on "wooden volume knobs" provided this:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C

And the responsible company provides more than this "tweak"...all aimed at the high-end it would seem...

jimHJJ(...if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...)

Aimed at suckers, your mean.

Sometimes I want to rebel against the audiophile BS, viz. to quote.

"Keep an open mind
Science can't explain everything
Measurements are meaningless
Believe only your ears"Excluding the last, the above are all valid in the right context, but seem to come together in the worst possible way among, e.g. the tweakaholics. As for "Believe only your ears", this is utterly bogus in any scientific or epsitemological sense.

JohnMichael
06-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Good to see some spirited debating.

Resident Loser
06-27-2007, 09:07 AM
My mistake. I was referring to comments made here where you have spoken of them the most.

Congratulations! After five posts you finally found one person who speculated as why such might work (as opposed to recommended or uses). Don't leave out, however, his concluding remarks:

Of course, the wooden knob does not HAVE to cost $485, and it may be that a solid lead knob (suitably coated in an inert substance to prevent lead poisoning) could work even better, or perhaps a sand-filled volume knob (the original hollow knob with a back cover?)

rw

...I'll remind you that my response and all it contained was in response to Flo's blanket statement re: hi-end=voodoo...these knobs (the most egregious example I could come up with) and the like are what is the voodoo and picking up on JRs caveat, interconnects, etc. do not have to cost what some companies charge for them, but when aimed at those who embrace the hi-end (or hi-end wannabees) the sky (and the folly of it all) knows no limit...

jimHJJ(...or so it would seem...)

E-Stat
06-27-2007, 09:19 AM
...but when aimed at those who embrace the hi-end (or hi-end wannabees) the sky (and the folly of it all) knows no limit.
It's a shame you have allowed the decided minority of bogus audio products (and over zealous young audiophiles) from you're experiencing the joys of genuine high resolution systems. The audio reviewers who have been my mentors for thirty years likewise laugh at the likes of expensive knobs, Magic Pebbles, and the like. Speaking of Geoff Kait's stuff, surely you've seen his latest, um tweak:

Teleportation (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstwek&1187704885)

rw

Rich-n-Texas
06-27-2007, 09:42 AM
You can say that again JohnMichael! I can say with complete confidence that no site has the personalities we have here. :thumbsup:

GMichael
06-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Teleportation (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstwek&1187704885)

rw

I so need one of these. Will it work with a cell phone or does it need to be a land-line?

E-Stat
06-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Will it work with a cell phone ...?
Of course it does -- anywhere in the world! I know that is true because it says so. ;)

rw

GMichael
06-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Of course it does -- anywhere in the world! I know that is true because it says so. ;)

rw

I don't mind you winking at me, but could you not blow me a kiss like that?

Rich-n-Texas
06-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Ummm... not to get off topic, but... I don't think I'll be using this one anymore ==> ;)

E-Stat
06-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Darn "enhancement" of the basic ; ) emoticon. I'll remember that next time for sure!

rw