Anybody else here feel too old to attend certain "live performances" or concerts? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else here feel too old to attend certain "live performances" or concerts?

Audio Girl
06-23-2007, 04:49 PM
I really wanted to go hear Secondhand Serenade tonight (opening act for 3 other groups; SS -- who is an individual, by the way -- was the only act/musician I wanted to see and the tickets weren't outrageous. But, when I looked on YouTube it clearly looked like a crowd of 21 year olds attending. And, who wants someone old enough to be their mother there?

Thoughts? I am sitting here realizing that I could have attended, enjoyed his "live" performance and returned home (concert began at 6:00 p.m.). But, I didn't do it because I know I would have felt uncomfortable. It's a bummer getting older for a music lover, particularly someone who likes music that is being released by new, young artists.

SlumpBuster
06-23-2007, 06:41 PM
I saw Hanson (yes, that Hanson) two years ago. It was full of teenage girls. I was with my wife (we were 30). Felt too old for about a minute. Then I realized that even though it was all teenage girls, it wasn't the Britney set of teenage girls. These were music fans. They were kinda like band geek girls. At this point you have to seek out Hanson, because you simply like the music. No one is forcing it on you.

Being a musc fan: that is the great equalizer. I should have felt stoopid going to a Hanson show right? I mean, like I'm too cool for that, right? Nope, F'em. I like 'em. I'm goin'. Who cares what the Ticketmaster kid at the record store with the Yo La Tengo shirt thinks?

Now, I have felt out of place at many shows before, but usually not because of age. I remember the first time I saw Prong. It was a bad scene. Way too many angry angry metal heads looking to mosh. I totally misjudged that show and did not feel safe or or comfortable being there. (Call me a sissy if you must :D, but I've been in my fair share of mosh pits, this was just people looking to fight) I've missed alot of great heavier bands because I'm still not comfortable with the meathead scene at that venue.

unleasHell
06-23-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm 48 and last night went to a Hollywood club to shoot and meet Black Tie Dynasty and two other bands, hung out with the drummer and keyboardist after the show for a long time, talking music..

it was fun..although yeah most everyone there was younger than me, of course at the porcupine tree show a few months back, there was plenty of geezers older than me..

music pretty much transends age barriers...

PeruvianSkies
06-24-2007, 04:32 AM
I'm 48 and last night went to a Hollywood club to shoot and meet Black Tie Dynasty and two other bands, hung out with the drummer and keyboardist after the show for a long time, talking music..

it was fun..although yeah most everyone there was younger than me, of course at the porcupine tree show a few months back, there was plenty of geezers older than me..

music pretty much transends age barriers...

On John Fogerty's last tour (Long Road Home) there were tons and tons of young people there, which surprised me...18-25 year old people there just didn't seem logical to me as I figured it would mostly be people who were 18-25 back in 1970, not 2007. Interesting indeed.

ForeverAutumn
06-24-2007, 05:29 AM
I'm more in Slumpbuster's camp on this one. I've been to lots of shows that were mainly a college crowd and I was probably the oldest one there (I'm 41). But I won't not go to a show because I expect a young crowd. Those kids may look at me as though I'm old. But at least I'm old and cool enough to be there. :cool: I have, however, turned down shows because I expect a rough crowd and I have no interest in being part of that.

Mostly I find my age a factor because I really don't have the energy to be out at a club until 1 or 2 in the morning and then have to drag myself into work the next morning. So, I have skipped a lot of shows that I've wanted to see that are on week nights.

Feanor
06-24-2007, 05:57 AM
I really wanted to go hear Secondhand Serenade tonight (opening act for 3 other groups; SS -- who is an individual, by the way -- was the only act/musician I wanted to see and the tickets weren't outrageous. But, when I looked on YouTube it clearly looked like a crowd of 21 year olds attending. And, who wants someone old enough to be their mother there?

Yeah, seriously. The truth is that classical music, ("serious music in the western tradition" or "western art music" or, if you must, "dead European male music"), has always been where the real challenge and joy is at. Try it some time -- go to a classical concert: for sure you won't have the same problem as with concerts of the popular variety.

Here's my revised list of 250 core classical compositions ...

http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/CoreClassical.htm

Hyfi
06-24-2007, 08:04 AM
The Adrian Belew show I saw last night had people from their 60s to teens due the School of Rock. Great to see all ages enjoying the same old music.

O'Shag
06-24-2007, 11:38 PM
I know what you mean. Every so often they have a disco at the King's head British pub here in Santa Monica, or I'll pop round the local in Playa del rey here to see a live blues band where everyone gets dutch courage (a few bevys will do that) and gets up to strut their stuff. I'm not quit the young handsome devil I was and I always feel a mite self concious to get up there and jig around with the belly starting to jig along with the hips (I try holding it in when a pretty lady is up there dancing). I usually get over my self conciousness pretty quickly, as I realize most of the 'girls' are in the same boat so to speak, and I really get into the music. I always force myself because I know I should, and I always end up enjoying myself. Also I'm still a pretty good dancer although I say so myself. I haven't been booed of the dancefloor yet anyhow...

O'Shag
06-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Conas a ta tu Feanor?

The list of Classical music is great. I love all types of music as long as it has a certain something. I find Bach very appealing as well as those others you mention. Sometimes I'm in the mood for Bach, Mozart, Brahms, Haydn, Tallis etc. and sometimes I love to listen to Paul Oakenfold DJ-ing in Slovenia. I love D-train, and some of the newer R&B stuff is so musical. What about that R.Kelly fella. He faces a lot of trouble and deservedly so, but one can't argue that he has a gift from GOD for making music..
Slan

nobody
06-25-2007, 09:42 AM
I probably should feel too old, but I don't

I just keep wondering who lets all the little kids in and why the hell are they serving those kids beer?

BarryL
06-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Thoughts? It's a bummer getting older for a music lover, particularly someone who likes music that is being released by new, young artists.

Just look cool, wear your sunglasses, and pretend you're a record or music industry exec. Nobody will expect you to be a fan because old geezer fans wouldn't be there.

Well...you can think that anyway, if it will help.

Audio Girl
06-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Okay, next time I am freakin' goin'. Thanks for the advice. And, if Ryan is embarrassed...well, that is his problem, now isn't it? :-)

PeruvianSkies
06-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Just look cool, wear your sunglasses, and pretend you're a record or music industry exec. Nobody will expect you to be a fan because old geezer fans wouldn't be there.

Well...you can think that anyway, if it will help.

Yeah, like Jack Nicholson...he is getting old, but still looks cool...it's gotta be the shades....

Resident Loser
06-27-2007, 04:52 AM
Yeah, seriously. The truth is that classical music, ("serious music in the western tradition" or "western art music" or, if you must, "dead European male music"), has always been where the real challenge and joy is at. Try it some time -- go to a classical concert: for sure you won't have the same problem as with concerts of the popular variety.

...BRAVO!

jimHJJ(...bravissimo...)

GMichael
06-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Too old? But I'm only 46. Why would I feel too old. If someone I wanted to see was playing at a fair ticket price, I'd be there.

Feanor
06-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Too old? But I'm only 46. Why would I feel too old. If someone I wanted to see was playing at a fair ticket price, I'd be there.

Hey, GM, you're on the young side for classical concerts -- I fit right in at 62. Seriously though, people of all ages turn out for the classics.

GMichael
06-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Hey, GM, you're on the young side for classical concerts -- I fit right in at 62. Seriously though, people of all ages turn out for the classics.

And I feel young.

Resident Loser
06-27-2007, 08:16 AM
...exposed to classical since high school (discounting Marx Bros. movies) and attended my first opera (at the old Met) when I was 16 (that's 40+ yrs. ago)...When I became seriously interested in audio, my interest in music began to drift more towards classical and more recently incorporating classic jazz...

jimHJJ(...I mean that's the stuff hi-fi was really intended for anywho...)

SlumpBuster
06-27-2007, 11:49 AM

At 32, I'm too old. At least for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. I usually attend at least one performance each season. Last time I went (last season) the seats were so cramped and uncomfortable as to be distracting. "Must be getting too old," I thought. I couldn't believe that so many older people could sit through the performance comfortably.

Being from London, have you ever attended? Am I wrong? Did you ever see them at the Ford Auditorium? Was it better?

3-LockBox
06-27-2007, 02:05 PM
I've been told I'm too old - because of all that wild hair and make-up, drug induced rabble-rousing, screaming, vommiting, cursing and public urination...

I've been banned from many public venues.