? about connecting an int amp to my receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ? about connecting an int amp to my receiver

mhjmhj
06-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Hi folks!

My receiver has a multi room out (RCA connection) and I got a vintage Marantz integrated amplifier off eBay (no manual) that I want to connect to the system to fire some power hungry 4-ohm vintage speakers in another room. On the back of the integrated amp, there is a set of 4 RCA connections that have two U-shaped brass pins connecting them all together. There's two "Pre-out" plugs and two "Main in" plugs. The U-shaped connectors go from pre-out L to main in L and pre-out R to main in R.

I was thinking I'm supposed to pull the pins out and connect the RCA cable from my receiver out going into the "main in" plugs, but thought I ought to check first. Is that right?

Thanks!

TIC
06-22-2007, 07:47 PM
It depends on what you want to accomplish. You could do as you said and remove the jumpers, then connect a set of interconnects from the multi-room output to the main in on the integrated. This will definately work, but you will need to control the volume from your receiver, not from your integrated amp that is is the other space with your speakers.

You could also connect a pair of interconnects from the multi-room output of the receiver to any input (like aux or CD) on the integrated amp. Leave the jumpers connected from pre-out to main in. Now the integrated amps volume control can be used to control the volume in the room with the speakers.

A purist might say the first option provides best sound, but I doubt you would notice the difference with using the integrated as described in the secord method and it would provide you the opportunity to control volume locally in the room where the speakers reside.

Enjoy,

TIC

mhjmhj
06-22-2007, 08:02 PM
thank you! i'll give it a try.

mhjmhj
06-25-2007, 06:00 AM
OK, I couldn't get it to work. I think the amp is broken, but maybe I'm just not doing something right. First, I hooked everthing up as TIC instructed above: "remove the jumpers, then connect a set of interconnects from the multi-room output to the main in on the integrated." I got no sound. Granted, the amp didn't have a manual, so I just tried hitting buttons in various combinations.

here is a set of images showing the amp:
http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Stereo_Amps_Pre/Marantz_PM-730_Integrated_Amplifier_collage.jpg

A description of the amp is here (toward the bottom of the page):
http://www.oaktreeent.com/Stereo_Amps_and_Pre-Amps.htm

I couldn't get it to work that way. So, I hooked up a portable CD walkman to the amp, and connected one speaker to one of the outs - nothing. I tried the CD input and the tuner input - nothing. Now I think the amp just isn't working.

From what I described, do you think so too? By looking at the images, can you tell if I did anything wrong?

I greatly appreciate any help I can get here!

DEVO
06-25-2007, 06:14 AM
Hard to tell, but is the "Tape Monitor" ON? It needs to be OFF.

mhjmhj
06-25-2007, 06:17 AM
Yeah, I'm 95% confident I hit all those buttons a few times (on and off).

mhjmhj
06-25-2007, 07:51 AM
The seller contacted me and I can return it for a refund. He said that you need an amp to go with it. But the front of the unit says it is an "integrated amplifier". Do you need an amp with an integrated amplifier?

mhjmhj
06-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Actually, the amp says it is a "monitor amplifier" not an "integrated amplifier".

Resident Loser
06-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Actually, the amp says it is a "monitor amplifier" not an "integrated amplifier".

...read it, it's an integrated...otherwise there would be no reason to have either a "main-in" or speaker terminals...and while there are older units that are pre-amps and require an outboard amp to be looped in and out, this does not seem to be the case...Plus Oaktree claims it to have 105Wpc@ 8 Ohms...

Some integrateds have both jumpers and a switch to separate the amplification stages...that might be the case with this unit, but since there isn't a jpeg of the entire rear apron, it's a cr@pshoot...Also there is a "direct" pushbutton that may have something to do with it, but without a manual it would be difficult to hazard a guess...

FWIW, in my experience, a "tape mon" switch would affect the pre-amp's output and not the workings of the power amp section...

jimHJJ(...good luck...)