Why is the site so #@^&*%! SLOW! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why is the site so #@^&*%! SLOW!

JSE
06-22-2007, 09:35 AM
I have a cable line at home and some form of high speed here at work and this site takes freaking forever to load pages. WTF?

I hardly come here anymore and the biggest reason is it takes so long to read and post in the forums.

Is it just me?

JSE

GMichael
06-22-2007, 09:47 AM
I have a cable line at home and some form of high speed here at work and this site takes freaking forever to load pages. WTF?

I hardly come here anymore and the biggest reason is it takes so long to read and post in the forums.

Is it just me?

JSE

It's not just you. But you couldn't keep me away with a stick.

Rich-n-Texas
06-22-2007, 11:04 AM
JSE, you can't leave! You're a fellow Texan dude! How am I supposed to fight off these crazies without help?!?!?!?

As the day progresses, I've noticed, this site becomes more and more sluggish. We needs a bigger server!

JSE
06-22-2007, 11:17 AM
JSE, you can't leave! You're a fellow Texan dude! How am I supposed to fight off these crazies without help?!?!?!?

As the day progresses, I've noticed, this site becomes more and more sluggish. We needs a bigger server!

I'm not going anywhere it's just hard to read the latest discussions and comment when it takes sooooooo long. I, like probably most people on this site during the day, log in from work so time is precious.

G'man on the other had seems to be hardwired (main-lined) into the server. At FA's party I thought he had a IV drip for alcohol in his arm but it was a cable line! :eek: :ciappa:

JSE

Rich-n-Texas
06-22-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm not going anywhere it's just hard to read the latest discussions and comment when it takes sooooooo long. I, like probably most people on this site during the day, log in from work so time is precious.

G'man on the other had seems to be hardwired (main-lined) into the server. At FA's party I thought he had a IV drip for alcohol in his arm but it was a cable line! :eek: :ciappa:

JSE
Ah ha!!! I knew he was on drugs! I got your number now GM! :incazzato:

Ya know what I hate JSE... When I spend nearly an hour (I'm old, what do you expect) crafting a well thought out and artistically formatted post just to find that when I submit it I get this looooong wait and then the dreaded "the server is busy, please try again later..." page it just burns my bridges!

PeruvianSkies
06-22-2007, 01:00 PM
It seems even slower than EVER. I also wonder if more people would load pictures and such in the gallery section if A. it was easy to do and B. it didn't take half a lifetime to load a huge 355k jpeg.

Mr Peabody
06-22-2007, 06:06 PM
I have the same problem. And now the "quick reply" box is gone, it takes longer than ever to post. It's mostly the regulars keeping this thing going. I hope the best for AR but they have some issues to resolve. I mean, us Elite can only do so much:)

Smokey
06-22-2007, 06:27 PM
The reason the AR site is so slow it is because it take too long to load ActiveX and Java Script via your browser.

Go to your browser's tool menu and disable ActiveX and Java. I have mine disabled and takes about a second to load. Plus you will not see any commercials on your browser :D

Mr Peabody
06-22-2007, 09:27 PM
I've got Internet Explorer 7 and I can't find the Java/ActivX settings. I looked all in Internet Options. Can you point me in the right direction. Maybe it's in a tool bar I have hidden.

JSE
06-23-2007, 08:02 AM
The reason the AR site is so slow it is because it take too long to load ActiveX and Java Script via your browser.

Go to your browser's tool menu and disable ActiveX and Java. I have mine disabled and takes about a second to load. Plus you will not see any commercials on your browser :D

I will try this when I get home today (today is one of my 2 Saturdays a year I have to work :( ) but I can't seem to disable them on my Explorer here at work. Bummer. If I am having this problem here and work and did not know about this possible solution, just imagine how many people come here and find the slow loads times and leave.

Smokey
06-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Peabody and JSE, I have IE 6 and I am not sure what menu IE 7 got. So if you have IE 6, this is how you can disable Java and ActiveX:

First step: click on AR forums on top the page to open forum page.. Then left click [mouse] on the address bar to highlight the AR forum address, and then right click and copy the address.

Second step: On top the browser, find Tools and then Internet Options. Internet Options menu will pop up. Click on Security and then click on Trusted sites that have a checked-mark circle sign.

Third step: Look at “Security level for this zone” and raise the vertical bar to High. And then click on Apply at bottom of pop up menu.

Fourth step: Make sure “Trusted Sites” is highlighted, and then click on “Sites...” to bring up that menu. Make sure the box “ Require Server Verifications..” is unchecked.

Fifth step: Then right click [mouse] on the address bar “Add this web site to the zone”, and paste the address of AR forum into that address bar. (if your browser lose the copy of AR address, just repeat first, second, fourth and fifth steps again.)

Then click OK and then OK to close the pop up menu. And you are all done.

If you have done it right, when your browser open up the AR forum, you should see a checked-mark sign at the bottom right corner of your browser.

Now see if AR forum page will load faster. Good luck.

Mr Peabody
06-23-2007, 08:32 PM
I got mine set but I don't think it helped, it seems like it may even be worse. But I am using IE 7.0, and it seems 7.0 is a pain with a lot of things. I will do some moving around the site and play with it some more to see if anything improves.

Mr Peabody
06-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Yip, it helped Smokey, thanks. I'm not sure what the original snafu was but I'm sailing through pretty quick now.

superdougiefreshness
06-23-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm Using I.E.6.0 as well, and have no trouble at all. I guess I'm lucky.....still using MS-98 believe it or not.....Old computer given to me with lots of RAM though and cable connection so I move fast enough. I will be upgrading sometime soon to a much faster system with vastly superior resources. I am fortunate to have this computer virus free and running smooth most of the time. No trouble at all with AR forums -

Later Dudes
SuperDougieFreshNess- San Diego - Blessing by the Sea

Smokey
06-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Yip, it helped Smokey, thanks. I'm not sure what the original snafu was but I'm sailing through pretty quick now.

You welcome. Same as superdougiefreshness, I am using MS-98 SE edition also. I activate Java and ActiveX on my browser and AR does load real slow :)

Feanor
06-26-2007, 05:53 AM

Is it just me?

JSE

Gotta load all those glitzy ads, though: after all, who payes the bills?

Yesterday I tried out Apple's Safari 3 (Public Beta) for Windows browser. Whow! That really zips along -- very fast loading.

However Safari doesn't support everything, e.g. all eBay features or my Yahoo Mail Beta.
http://www.apple.com/ca/safari/

Mr Peabody
06-26-2007, 05:25 PM
I didn't know Apple made browsers for Windows. That would be wild if Apple came back and over took MS at it's own game.

That does defeat the purpose of a more modern browser if it is slower, speaking of IE 7.

What would I miss if I applied this move to other websites?

PeruvianSkies
06-26-2007, 11:31 PM
I have NEVER had one pop-up using Safari, there is a feature in the menu on Safari that actives pop-up blocker and unlike most pop-up blockers...it's flawless on my machine...which is a Mac of course....I don't think you can use Safari with PC's...right?

JSE
06-27-2007, 06:07 AM
Hey Smokey, thanks for the info. Tried is at home on IE 7 and it seemed to help quite a bit. Still not as fast as other sites but definitely an improvement.

At work, no such luck. Our security settings are locked so no way to change them. Oh well. I know a guy in our IT department so maybe I can buy him a lunch and con, I mean ask him to change my security settings.

JSE

Feanor
06-27-2007, 10:43 AM
I have NEVER had one pop-up using Safari, there is a feature in the menu on Safari that actives pop-up blocker and unlike most pop-up blockers...it's flawless on my machine...which is a Mac of course....I don't think you can use Safari with PC's...right?

... see above.

JSE
06-27-2007, 01:29 PM
... see above.

I might give Safari a try on my home PC. IE 7 realyl sucks. It's just not that user friendly in it's layout.