Vinyl fans...y'all gotta go grab Icky Thump [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl fans...y'all gotta go grab Icky Thump

nobody
06-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Just grabbed the vinyl version of Icky Thump last night. I'm not usually one to spring extra cash for the deluxe vinyl stuff, but I had to fork over the 30 bucks since they are one of my favorite modern bands and the vinyl was supposedly agonized over from a sonic perspective. Well, got home, put it on and was blown away. It's easily the best sounding rock vinyl I've heard in quite a long time. The bass is amazingly deep, the wax in silent, the packaging is superb. They didn't miss a beat with this one. If you like the White Stripes at all and if you like vinyl, this is one case where spending a little extra is probably a pretty good idea.

basite
06-22-2007, 07:35 AM
that's the opposite of the cd version than, since that sucks, real hard...

I'll check it out for sure :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

nobody
06-22-2007, 07:49 AM
I had a quick listen of the CD and it was pretty mediocre. The vinyl is much better.

SlumpBuster
06-23-2007, 11:41 AM
What a great recommendation Nobody! I picked up the LP this morning (On sale for $28 :D). Not only a solid recording, but a solid album too. The White Stripes just keep getting better. I live in the metro Detroit (the White Stripes hometown) and I picked up the wax at one of the hipper shops in one of the hipper neighborhoods and they just had a stack of Icky Thump next to the register. The guy in front of me was buying it as was the guy behind me. It was like a bunch of hipsters lining up at an ice cream truck.

I don't know about the CD, they were playing it in the record store and it sounded fine to me. I know that on Elephant, they used almost all pre-war recording equipment. If they did the same on this record, it can add a distinct sound.

Audio Girl
06-23-2007, 06:35 PM
I bought two copies of Icky Thump today! With Steve and Kevin handling mastering responsibilities for the vinyl, I was confident it would be a winner. An additional recommendation for a new release which is very well mastered: Modest Mouse "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank." And this release can be had for significantly less dinero than the White Stripes.

Lots of good vinyl releases in recent weeks and in future weeks (based on reviews). Let's keep our fingers crossed.

jrhymeammo
07-07-2007, 11:14 AM
...at all.

I, honestly, dont care for most of music recommendation on this site. There are some really bad recommendations out there for my musical taste.
Also, I never cared for WS. But I was pretty impressed with this 2LP set. I enjoyed it quite a bit.:wink5:

Well, got home, put it on and was blown away. It's easily the best sounding rock vinyl I've heard in quite a long time. The bass is amazingly deep, the wax in silent, the packaging is superb. They didn't miss a beat with this one.

Agreed, but maybe too much bass?
Hmm...

This is kinda LP releases we need more of.
I'm grateful to have $30+ Jazz reissues, but they can only entertaine me for so long.

maybe I should start reading a bit more on what others are recommeding,

JRA

fitzrik
07-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Has anyone com pared the UK and US versions??

The packaging on teh UK release is definitely inferior but the price is cheaper. The SH/KG initials are still in the deadwax but I'm wondering if the vinyl itself is noisier.