Multiple speakers from computer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Multiple speakers from computer

hifi novice
06-19-2007, 09:12 PM
I thought it may be easy to hook up speakers in four different rooms to the computer via an amp. Maybe not. Any suggestions on the process would be appreciated. Thank you.

noddin0ff
06-20-2007, 04:58 AM
Is the question how to hook up a computer to an amp? or how to run four sets of speakers from your amp to different rooms?

recoveryone
06-20-2007, 08:40 AM
thanks Nod I was a bit beaker on that one too.

hifi novice
06-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Is the question how to hook up a computer to an amp? or how to run four sets of speakers from your amp to different rooms?

The latter, my plan was to have pairs of speakers in four different rooms ideally with a volume control in each room. All fed by the same amp which is hooked to the computer. Thank you,

noddin0ff
06-21-2007, 05:57 AM
The latter, my plan was to have pairs of speakers in four different rooms ideally with a volume control in each room. All fed by the same amp which is hooked to the computer. Thank you,

Then you can take the computer out of the equation. You're looking for an amp/receive with multi-room control. The computer will provide a single stereo signal (L/R). The splitting it up is all downstream. I can't do your shopping for you or really offer any suggestions on the amp. But you are essentially looking for something like this
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/vantage_announces_axium_450_multiroom_amp/C53

You could try a new post in the Amps/PreAmps section. You probably won't get much traffic on this thread because the title of your post is misleading.

Good Luck!

p.s. an alternative route is to go wireless from your computer and put an amp/receiver in each room. Might cost about the same, depending on how much it costs you to run all those wires...if interested in how to do this, put a post in the computer audio or digital thread. You can potentially have completely independent systems in each room using one shared digital library

noddin0ff
06-21-2007, 06:08 AM
Ah...read this for a multi-room tutorial
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-XEcsDW2unjl/learningcenter/home/multiroom_power.html?page+1

In your imagined set up, your computer is functionally nothing more than a glorified CD player...it's just another component.

Audioman00
06-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Find out if the PC has a digital or SPDIF output, if not a very cheap soundblaster series add in card will do the trick..., connect the digital output of the computer (2ch) or multi, whichever you want, to the amplifier's digital in (coaxial digital) and you have your source connected. Now just simply purchase a speaker selector switchbox (www.partsexpress.com) . and connect the A and B terminals of the amplifier to the spkr selector box MAIN IN jacks.....then connect the additional speakers for each room to the switchbox / room1 room2 room3 etc. I am quite sure you can pick up the volume controls for each room at most electronics stores ie radioshack, etc. I have done a setup like this in the past for a guy in a log cabin in the woods. It turned out pretty nicely with the addition of his in-wall 12" sub with an external amp in the rack with the yamaha receiver and a couple choice sources. cheers!