It was rainin' hard in 'Frisco... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It was rainin' hard in 'Frisco...

ForeverAutumn
06-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Do you ever get a craving for a specific song or artist? There's a big rain storm outside right now which made me think of this line. Now, I've got an itch to hear Taxi.

I have an iPod with over 2500 songs on it and not one Harry Chapin tune.

Argh. :mad2:

Troy
06-19-2007, 02:21 PM
It's actually about 80 and sunny today.

BarryL
06-22-2007, 05:19 AM
Do you ever get a craving for a specific song or artist? There's a big rain storm outside right now which made me think of this line. Now, I've got an itch to hear Taxi.

I have an iPod with over 2500 songs on it and not one Harry Chapin tune.

Argh. :mad2:

I have lots of Harry on mine. In fact, I had all 4500 songs on random in the car just the other night and 30,000 Pounds of Bananas came on. Marlaine hates this song, but the kids were right in there singing the chorus - thirty thousand pounds, of baaaaaannnnnnaaaannnnnaaaas, there were thirty thousand pounds.......of bananas.

Anyway, I saw your post and Troy's response, and everytime I get off the plan in San Francisco and see the traffic signs for San Jose, I can't help but sing and hum Do You Know The Way to San Jose...for days. It actually gets to the point where I annoy myself.

So, my question to Troy is, does this song cross your mind 300 days per year?

There were thirty thousand pounds....of mashed baaaannnaaaannnnaaaassss.

I miss Harry, probably more than any other musician I have seen.

ForeverAutumn
06-22-2007, 05:28 AM
It actually gets to the point where I annoy myself.

Yeah, you can be pretty annoying. :rolleyes:

Ah, I just love when people set themselves up like that. :lol:

Troy
06-22-2007, 06:48 AM
When I was 12 I LOVED "30k Pounds of Bananas." Haven't heard it since.

Yes, my adorable wife hums "Do you . . . San Jose" all the time. It's her favorite Kareoke song. My dad used to do that too. Bacharach was a genius.

BarryL
06-22-2007, 02:49 PM
I love Burt's songwriting. His album with Costello is fantastic from a song writing point of view. I have a friend who is a songwriter, who won't even listen to it because "I don't like Elvis Costello's voice." What a shame, I say.

Music can be so subversive. I love how the Villiage People got whole stadiums of people who would classify themselves as religious and anti-gay singing YMCA, not to mention tens of thousands crooning We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions just like Freddy.

Heck, I was big into Jesus Christ Superstar when I was 12.

But I don't think music ever changed my thinking on any issue, other than bringing attention to a particular subject matter or social/political event, so maybe it's not so subversive after all.

He was a young driver, just out on his second job and he was carrying the next day's pasty fruit to everyone in that coal-scarred city, where children played without despair in slagpiles and folks managed to eat each day, just about thirty-thousand pounds of bananas.

Yep, I'm talkin' about Scranton Pensylvania. Just about thirty thousand pounds of bananas.