really basic digital projector advice needed. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : really basic digital projector advice needed.

Gerald Cooperberg
06-18-2007, 11:31 PM
I recently moved to a new apartment and decided not to bring a television... just a personal choice for a number of reasons. I do have a DVD player still and a number of DVDs, and I'd like to be able to watch movies... I also recently inherited an old projector screen in fairly good condition. This sparked the idea in me that a digital projector might be a good option. I'm no gearhead and have never owned any kind of a "home theater" system, so I guess I don't know if this is a ridiculous idea out of hand. I suppose what I'm looking for is some feedback about whether this is the route that I should really go, and if so, what I can expect to get for my money. Is it best to buy new or do you think I could get a good value on a used projector? Would it be reasonable to find something for under $500? Under $1000? What kind of speaker setup would I need? How big or small of a room? Is projecting onto a white wall a terrible idea? Aside from the DVD player I already have and something for sound, what else am I going to need? Any advice and a minimum of derision would be appreciated.

-Coop

Rock789
06-25-2007, 07:12 PM
I recently moved to a new apartment and decided not to bring a television... just a personal choice for a number of reasons. I do have a DVD player still and a number of DVDs, and I'd like to be able to watch movies... I also recently inherited an old projector screen in fairly good condition. This sparked the idea in me that a digital projector might be a good option. I'm no gearhead and have never owned any kind of a "home theater" system, so I guess I don't know if this is a ridiculous idea out of hand. I suppose what I'm looking for is some feedback about whether this is the route that I should really go, and if so, what I can expect to get for my money. Is it best to buy new or do you think I could get a good value on a used projector? Would it be reasonable to find something for under $500? Under $1000? What kind of speaker setup would I need? How big or small of a room? Is projecting onto a white wall a terrible idea? Aside from the DVD player I already have and something for sound, what else am I going to need? Any advice and a minimum of derision would be appreciated.

-Coop

thats a lot of questions for a post called "really basic digital projector advice needed."

to answer your "really basic digital projector advice needed." just remember, bulbs will cost ~$300... this may come in to play quickly if you purchase a used projector...
if you are only playing dvd's, then pretty much any projector out there will play the max quality I think... so you don't need something crazy expensive...

best to ask your speaker questions in another thread as they are not on topic with the name of your thread...

westcott
06-26-2007, 03:20 PM

-Coop

The best thing I could do for you is point you to a well respected resource for projector information, viewing distances, screen sizes, projector reviews, etc.

Projector Central (http://www.projectorcentral.com/)