What are the best tracks to audition new equipment? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What are the best tracks to audition new equipment?

pbwatson
06-16-2007, 10:40 PM
OK I'm trying out some new headphones, but this question would also apply to speakers & just about any other audio equipment. what are your favorite tracks to listen to when auditioning new equipment? & why?

Here are a couple of mine but I'm looking for more especially ones that better gear will reveal details in the track that I may not have noticed before with my old (AKA average / subpar equipment)

Eagles - Hotel California (especially notable are the bass lines & quite a range through the lows mids & highs)

Richard Thompson - Burn's Supper (great acoustic piece w/subtle fretboard & background studio noises)

Leonard Cohen - Take this waltz (I like this piece because of the seperation of Leonards deep voice & the angelic background singers along with the violins & cello)

Ac/Dc - TNT (this song is just tight & rocks hard)

Brad Mehldau - Paranoid Android (ranges from complete silence to whisper quiet piano to very loud chaotic piano & drums)

What are your thoughts? I'll be going through more tunes tonight & adding to the list tomorrow, some artists I'm thinking of are White Stripes, Police, David Bowie, Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Eva Cassidy, Billie Holiday, Gomez.

I'd like to put together a list of 20-30 tracks to use in comparing equipment