In Wall System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : In Wall System

Benbl
06-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Hey!

I'm building a new house and I want an in wall system. I can't find anyone who does it in chch. Which brands make that kind of thing, and can the amplifier be built into the wall also or just the speakers?

Cheers
Ben

Rock789
06-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Focal JM Lab and Paradigm make decent in-wall speakers...
Dayton Audio (parts express) has in-wall speakers too, but I have not listened to them...

I have seen racks built into the wall (so it is flush with the wall)... this may be what you are looking for, but you would need to design your house to allow the space for an in-wall amp rack...

AVMASTER
06-17-2007, 02:06 PM
not sure what you mean by "in-wall system" so I shall assume you're refering to A-bus systems. These systems are generally offered by the contractor or security company. They basically consist of amplified keypads wired to in-wall or in-ceiling speakers. While this route is pretty inexpensive, you're saddled with limited control capabilities and IMO poor sound quality. If you're undecided as to which equipment/system to use build your infrastructure first. Run 2 CAT5e cables, 2 coaxial cables and 4-conductor speaker wire to ever room you want audio/video and control in.

Rock&Roll Ninja
06-17-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm building a new house and I want an in wall system. I can't find anyone who does it in chch. Which brands make that kind of thing, and can the amplifier be built into the wall also or just the speakers?

In-wall speakers from 'cheap crap' to 'THX approved car downpayments' are available from just about every mfctr. In-wall equipment is accomplished by having your general contractor constructing a 24" deep false wall with shelves, or more commonly by doing some time consuming drywall work in a standard closet.

EDIT: Be sure to include plenty of air room around in-wall amps. Or in the case of a false wall you could emply cooling and exhaust fans.