Pain of Salvation - entropia [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pain of Salvation - entropia

ForeverAutumn
06-15-2007, 10:01 AM
OH....MY....GOD!!!

I know that some folks here are already well into this band. And 3LB has been touting the merits of this band for a long time. I've heard one of their disks before, but I can't remember which one off hand. Well, I finally got that Threshold disk out of my player long enough to put in entropia, which I believe is POS's (they really should have thought about their acronym before naming the band) first release.

This is unlike anything that I have ever heard before. It's almost theatrical in it's depth and emotion. I can almost envision a heavy metal rock opera when listening to this CD. Picture Phantom of the Opera in leather and spikes.

The guy who sold me this disk promised that I'd be back for more. That's a promised kept, for sure!

This is outstanding stuff. I only hope that the rest of their catalogue can live up to this. So all you POS fans, which CD should be next?

kexodusc
06-15-2007, 10:54 AM
OH....MY....GOD!!!

I know that some folks here are already well into this band. And 3LB has been touting the merits of this band for a long time. I've heard one of their disks before, but I can't remember which one off hand. Well, I finally got that Threshold disk out of my player long enough to put in entropia, which I believe is POS's (they really should have thought about their acronym before naming the band) first release.

This is unlike anything that I have ever heard before. It's almost theatrical in it's depth and emotion. I can almost envision a heavy metal rock opera when listening to this CD. Picture Phantom of the Opera in leather and spikes.

The guy who sold me this disk promised that I'd be back for more. That's a promised kept, for sure!

This is outstanding stuff. I only hope that the rest of their catalogue can live up to this. So all you POS fans, which CD should be next?
Perfect Element, then Remedy Lane are even better. Awesome albums IMO.

Then stop, because after that it sucks more than listening to a retarded elephant.

ForeverAutumn
06-15-2007, 11:18 AM
I think Remedy Lane is the one that I've heard. It certainly didn't smack me between the eyes like entropia did. But it coulda been a mood thing too. I was on a metal break and getting more into some indie-alt stuff when this band was first introduced to me.

kexodusc
06-15-2007, 11:24 AM
I think Remedy Lane is the one that I've heard. It certainly didn't smack me between the eyes like entropia did. But it coulda been a mood thing too. I was on a metal break and getting more into some indie-alt stuff when this band was first introduced to me.
Yeah, there's all sorts of distractions that can affect impressions of music.
I think most people would agree that the two I mentioned were the high points for them. I actually like Entropia more than Perfect Element, but most fans seem to disagree with me.

I don't know what happened to these guys after that. I've never seen a band with this talent fall so hard and so fast. I'm not ready to give up on them, though, everyone's entitled to a few stinkers. It's just that much more frustrating when you know they're capable of awesome stuff.

BarryL
06-15-2007, 11:41 AM
OH....MY....GOD!!!

I was a big fan for awhile, but didn't bite on their most recent release.

Entropia is one that I don't have. I think I started out with Remedy Lane, then The Perfect Element, and Be. I also have that accoustic CD with the white cover and I may have Concrete Lake.

So, if you want to cruise the back catalog, FA, I can help you out.

The band is talented, and the lead singer/writer is extremely literate. But sometimes I think he's trying to be too smart for his own good. There's something about R&R and metal music that requires a lighter attitude. You can still be serious about your music and have fun. I think that over the past few albums, the band has shed any element of fun, not just in the writing, but also in the playing.

If you like POS, you will probably like The Gathering. Different, but in some ways the same.

ForeverAutumn
06-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Entropia is one that I don't have...
So, if you want to cruise the back catalog, FA, I can help you out.

We can play tradesies! Just no flipping the disks against the wall like we did with hockey cards.

BTW, I can't find where I put that Devin Townsend Band CD that you gave me.

3-LockBox
06-15-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm afraid Kex is right...I've been a tad disappointed in POS last two. As far as Remedy Lane, I wasn't bowled over until the story line hit me. It is a very deep and moving plot, and from what I've read, its all in the lead singer's head. You'd think the depth of emotion in a story like that would require first hand knowledge, but I guess this guy was one excellent writer at one time. Seems he's short on ideas of late. And, he's got a major hangup with US foreign policy and culture, which I think stems from his lack of success in this country (sour grapes, as it were).

kexodusc
06-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Funny the difference a week makes.

I went back, blew the dust off of "Be" and have been giving it a few serious listens. I've now upgraded it from "unlistenable" to "half-decent". I'll qualify my change of heart with this disk.

This is one of those proggy concept albums that really turns off the mainstream for trying to be too creative. It does tend to collapse under the weight of such a bold concept effort at times. How? "Be" doesn't come across like an album as much as it does something Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber would deliver (isn't that kinda what FA said?).

Without the liner notes and some effort to buy in, you'll wonder where the music is. But if you do approach it like a book and buy into the disk, it's actually quite clever, and there's some very fitting music that corresponds to each song's theme.

There are some decent tracks on the disk, they're just overshadowed by a lot of special effects. This might have made a decent EP, but with all the added stuff, it's easy to lose focus and just skip this LP.

I bet it's a helluva live performance (if they even play it in its entirety.)
I kinda feel bad I wrote it off as absolute drivel. It's still not up to snuff with their best stuff, though.

Edit:
ROLMAO...my wife swears that it's Jack Black singing.
I can't listen to these guys the same way anymore..Daniel Gildenlöw does sound like him.

ForeverAutumn
06-20-2007, 06:48 PM
I bet it's a helluva live performance (if they even play it in its entirety.)

You can find out pretty easily. They made a DVD (http://www.amazon.ca/Pain-Of-Salvation-Be-Live/dp/B0007SMEQ8/ref=sr_1_1/702-0219498-4486415?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1182394187&sr=1-1) of it. But I hope that you can find it for less than Amazon.ca is selling it for.