store recommendations DC/MD--matching speakers with amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : store recommendations DC/MD--matching speakers with amp

gloopy
06-13-2007, 06:11 AM
Hi all

I'm new to audioreview--this is my first post. Howdy!
I'm also new to the world of decent audio equipment. I've just bought some BA CR95 speakers, and now need an amp to go with them. I bought the speakers brand-new and very cheap in a coup on ebay, but I am afraid of just buying everything without listening, so I'd like to go to a store and try out different amp options and buy one the old fashioned way. However, I don't know of any good audio stores in my area; online searches have only given me listings for Best Buys and Radio Shacks and the like. Are there any readers who could recommend a good store with quality equipment and knowledgeable staff in the DC area or suburban Maryland, where they'd be patient with me and helpful with setting up different options for me to do some careful listens in the store?

Also, I'm a little confused about the general matching of speakers with amps. Different people, it seems, have wildly different opinions on how to match them in terms of their wattage--some say the amp should have double the watts of the speakers; others say they should be about the same... Any opinions? Does this matter for a home system where I probably won't be playing my music terribly loud? Are there any other technical specs I should be concerned about matching, or is it more of a subjective judgement about the quality of the sounds that a particular speaker+amp combo produces?

Thanks much.

basite
06-13-2007, 10:47 AM
hi there, and welcome to AR :)

the Boston's are quite easy to drive, so power won't be that much of a problem.
I can't recommend you any shops since I don't live in the USA, however, I could give you some tips:

0: your ears decide.

1: if you can, you should avoid BB & RS & stuff like that, they have some mid-fi things, yes, but you could do alot better than what you find there.

2: don't think an amp is good because it haves superb specs, yes they are important too, but specs won't say how the unit exactly sounds, you'd have to hear it to know that.

3: read reviews, but know that they're not holy. They give you an idea, but everyone hears different, so you might like a product, and someone else might hate it. Also watch out with reviews, for example, if you see a review on this site, and it's for a $60 speaker, and the person who has written it says that 'he's an audiophile' and he gives the speaker a 5/5 rating, and says it's the best in the world: then don't trust the review.

4: If you go to audition a product, always bring your own cd's, cd's you like, and that you know. It'd be pointless if you were to use a cd that you've never heard before to audition a product. Also try to listen to the product in a setup that's similar to your's, and if possible, ask to audition the product at your home, in your setup.

that's for a general idea.

anyways,
wattage is an overrated term, current is (IMHO) far more important than wattage.
a decent 50 watt integrated will be enough to drive your speakers.

what is your budget? we could give you some suggestions :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

gloopy
06-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Hey, thanks for the tips.
I was thinking about spending something around 200-300 or so dollars (but hoping that I might be able to find an amp with a list price in the 500 range at a deep discount..) Any recommendations you could give me would be a good starting point once I find some stores in my area :)

basite
06-14-2007, 04:51 AM
marantz & denon bring you some products in that priceclass, maybe a rotel too, a RA-04 would nicely fit in.
also look for Harman Kardon

Good luck,
Bert.

hydroman
08-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Where in the area?

Rockville has a Tweeter.

Phone book search should find some more. OR trust a review here and buy it online (from a vendor who takes returns).

Me? I generally 'know' (from reviews and experience) how a brand will sound (at least well enough for my marginal discrimination and budget).