Record storage (affordable!) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Record storage (affordable!)

emorphien
06-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on affordable record storage? I'm looking for something small and simple but that will hold my small but occasionally growing collection. I've stumbled across these:

http://www.amazon.com/Crosley-Turntable-Entertainment-Center-Stand/dp/B0000DHVFI

all over the place and am considering one of them to keep my most used records in and to have a surface to put some nice photography books on top of that don't fit in any damn bookshelves. I may put the books in whatever I get along with the records too since I'm not looking for high capacity.

I want to keep it under $100, I'm still debating on whether I want to bother building something myself but I don't know if I have the time or energy to deal with that right now, especially after having just moved.

basite
06-13-2007, 04:20 AM
you could build one...
I'd consider $64 pretty much for the amount of storage place you get...

building one shouldn't be that hard, and you can make it to fit somewhere, both in size as in your decor, and if you run out of storage room, you could expand it easily.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

emorphien
06-13-2007, 05:22 AM
I know I could build one, I built the component rack. I'd probably like to eventually build some kind of side mounted addon for my rack that could hold 5 or so, mainly as a place to stash the one I'm currently listening to and a couple others. I could expand that idea, although I haven't figured out what it would look like or how it would attach yet.

European
06-13-2007, 05:27 AM
Dust is the great enemy of the vinil records, therefore consider closed case(s).
E.

jrhymeammo
06-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Dust is the great enemy of the vinil records, therefore consider closed case(s).
E.

That's why you should never open the seal.:arf:

Emo,

I'm not ashamed to recommend this. How about swallowing your pride and get your lazy ass to your local Big Lots. I got mine for $30 each. Each unit should hold at least 300LPs. and it looks decent. I could try to post a pic, but as usual I only have my cameraphone..

JRA

emorphien
06-13-2007, 05:32 PM
I'll take a look, our local Big Lots is flaky w.r.t. what they carry. I don't want something too big though, 300LPs sounds like it might be larger than I'm looking for but if nothing else it'll give me a direction if I decide to build something of my own (although for $30 I'm not sure it would cost me more to make something most likely so maybe not!).

dean_martin
06-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Take a look at the Ikea Expedit units. They come in different sizes and start at $80. Unlike most bookcases, the shelves are the perfect size for LPs. I can't personally vouch for them, but I'm thinking of trying the middle-sized unit.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40047675

jrhymeammo
06-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Take a look at the Ikea Expedit units. They come in different sizes and start at $80. Unlike most bookcases, the shelves are the perfect size for LPs. I can't personally vouch for them, but I'm thinking of trying the middle-sized unit.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40047675

I've checked them out before, and shelves felt too flimsy to hold the weight of LPs.
They look great, but I would fill more than 1/3 of each shelves.It might make a great acoustic absorber/diffusor though.

JRA

Audio Girl
06-23-2007, 06:50 PM
We have been using the Ikea Expedit units for well over a year for LP/vinyl storage. If I can figure out how to post pictures here, I will do so in order that you can see how sturdy these units are (and we do not have these secured to the wall or anything like that). We own the largest unit which is 4 cubes down by 4 cubes across as well as the smaller unit which is 4 cubes down X 2 cubes across. Both are filled with LPs and I can confidently state that they are secure and there is absolutely no signs of wear. We also use a bubble measurement to make sure the shelves have not shifted during the prior year of ownership.

I would never put my vinyl investment at risk. These are a bargain, look great, but safely (and economically) provide LP storage. Most visitors to our dedicated 2-channel audio room question how expensive these shelves are because they look like they are 3 to 4 times more expensive than they are.

Highly recommended.

jrhymeammo
06-24-2007, 12:10 PM
We have been using the Ikea Expedit units for well over a year for LP/vinyl storage. If I can figure out how to post pictures here, I will do so in order that you can see how sturdy these units are (and we do not have these secured to the wall or anything like that). We own the largest unit which is 4 cubes down by 4 cubes across as well as the smaller unit which is 4 cubes down X 2 cubes across. Both are filled with LPs and I can confidently state that they are secure and there is absolutely no signs of wear. We also use a bubble measurement to make sure the shelves have not shifted during the prior year of ownership.

I would never put my vinyl investment at risk. These are a bargain, look great, but safely (and economically) provide LP storage. Most visitors to our dedicated 2-channel audio room question how expensive these shelves are because they look like they are 3 to 4 times more expensive than they are.

Highly recommended.
They do look pretty nice.

Max of 29lb load per shelf should hold about 4-50 albums. 13-14" square should have capacity of 60-70 records/albums at 40-50 pounds?
I shipped LPs across the country, and one of the heaviest 14"x14"14" box weighed in at 55 pounds. I guess they are more durable than they state in their specs.

Do you really have it filled on high shelves as well?

I would love to know for future references.

Thank you,

O'Shag
06-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Ikea have some nice shelving at a good price. Something like a tallish bookshelf such as Billy (I think that's what its called) or there's one that I saw in a nice expresso colour. Its broad enough to stack records, and looks better than the one you've posted. You'll need more space than that if you plan to grow your collection. Also the Ikea shelf units run around $125.00 or thereabouts.

superdougiefreshness
06-26-2007, 11:40 PM
I live in a very small studio apartment and have virtually no storage, so what I think I may do since I have 700 albums to store is get some old cinder block's and thick wood plank boards. Then I can make a great long set of selves that are low and can place equipment all alongside each other on the top. Just a thought from the old school days.......I may find nicer styles; even a retro brick style to use that I may be able to paint a funky color or color's....LOL can we say that seventies show........:15:

Later Dudes
SuperDougieFreshNess - San Diego - Heaven on Earth...........

ChrisP9
06-27-2007, 04:48 AM
Recently bought on ebay for AU$10, built in the 60's, solid as a rock, holds approx 300 records, a few less with boxed sets. Couldn't ask for a better unit. If I were going to build, this is the design I would go for. A simple cupboard with timber dividers.
Regards
Chris