Stranger Than Fiction [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stranger Than Fiction

Groundbeef
06-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Just watched that little gem last night. What a GREAT film.

Will Ferrell plays a totally un-Ferrell like role as a straight laced IRS agent, and does it very well. It was very refeshing, and actually quite thought provoking.

If you haven't seen it yet, it is well worth the rental.

Dustin Hoffman also plays a very understated role as the person who helps out Mr. Ferrell in his quest to figure out who he really is.

deviledeggs
06-14-2007, 07:54 AM
I kept forgetting it was Will Ferrell (who I don't like) throughout the film. I thought this was great, Emma Thompson as the writer was also amazing.

PeruvianSkies
06-14-2007, 09:06 AM
I kept forgetting it was Will Ferrell (who I don't like) throughout the film. I thought this was great, Emma Thompson as the writer was also amazing.

It's good to hear that Ferrell can expand his range, which to me isn't all that surprising as he seems far more gifted than he typically pulls off. Of course his usual character is what makes him money, so he needs to keep that going as well, but it's cool that he can do both. I was hoping when Sandler did PUNCH DRUNK LOVE that the same thing would happen, but that was such a flop! Even for PT Anderson, who I really love, the film didn't do anything for me. I suppose Sander got another chance with RAIN OVER ME or whatever that film was called, but I didn't see it. He looked so much like Bob Dylan on the previews that I knew I'd be thinking about Dylan the entire time and probably wishing I was listening to him rather than the film.

Smokey
06-14-2007, 05:07 PM
I was hoping when Sandler did PUNCH DRUNK LOVE that the same thing would happen, but that was such a flop! Even for PT Anderson, who I really love, the film didn't do anything for me. I suppose Sander got another chance with RAIN OVER ME or whatever that film was called, but I didn't see it. He looked so much like Bob Dylan on the previews that I knew I'd be thinking about Dylan the entire time and probably wishing I was listening to him rather than the film.

Sandler seem to to do better in mvovie when he got another heavy weight staring with him to balance his corkiness such as in Anger Managment with Jack Nicholson. The movies where he is the main star seem to be so forgetable.

Recently picked up his 2004 movie Spanglish (he is a chef) and he was pretty good in it. But the film is more of director James Brooks than Sandlers movie.

http://www.thecinemasource.com/moviesdb/images/SpanglishDVD-300.jpg

PeruvianSkies
06-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I thought he was pretty good in 50 FIRST DATES again with Drew, but didn't really care for him in CLICK.

Rich-n-Texas
06-15-2007, 05:25 AM
...He looked so much like Bob Dylan on the previews that I knew I'd be thinking about Dylan the entire time and probably wishing I was listening to him rather than the film.

:lol: No sh!t PS, that's exactly what I thought.

I never really found the humor in Sandler's style anyway, so him in a serious role isn't something I'd spend money on, but that's just me.

PeruvianSkies
06-15-2007, 08:23 AM
:lol: No sh!t PS, that's exactly what I thought.

I never really found the humor in Sandler's style anyway, so him in a serious role isn't something I'd spend money on, but that's just me.

Agreed.

Gerald Cooperberg
06-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Wasn't there already a thread about this somewhere?

I thought it was good. Looking back on it now, Ferrell was a revelation... haven't really seen him in anything else where he was quite as effective. I did catch Winter Passing, which struck a serious tone on the whole, but he didn't really have much to do in that one other than provide some light comic relief. Did anyone catch Melinda and Melinda? Heard awful things about the film, but how was he in it? In any case, I hope he continues to balance his self-indulgent scattershot comedies with this sort of fare. Sort of the same thing that Sandler does (FWIW, I don't really care for P.T. Anderson but did really like Punch-Drunk Love and Sandler's work in it... and Reign Over Me, as I posted somewhere else on here, did seem to get kind of silly, but it was a pleasure to watch Sandler and Cheadle onscreen together)...

-Coop

Kam
06-19-2007, 01:34 PM
the scene where he sings and plays the guitar while she's in the kitchen, with his eyes closed was beautiful. made the whole movie right there. it's weird, but for me, single moments make or break entire movies.

e.g. in the Professional, when leon is watching the movie in the nearly empty theater with that look of wonder on his face... heartbreaking. one of my fav moments in one of my fav movies. :)