Music for Mowin' [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Music for Mowin'

noddin0ff
06-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Summertime and the grass is a growin’. I’m paying the price for fertilizing my nearly 1 acre of grass and weeds that I call my lawn. It doesn’t help that the rain has been generous this year. While carefully overlapping my passes, I have plenty of time to think. The first think I thought was that my Shure’s provide noise isolation AND music, duh. This brilliant and belated insight means I get to sample the albums that don’t get attention in my more tranquil home. Here’s my review of lost albums revisited as Music for Mowing…

Please add your favorites

Jimi Hendrix : Axis Bold as Love (1967)
(Back dated, May 27)
Memorial day. Yard work and a 3 day weekend. A time to celebrate our freedom and thank those that have paid the price for it. A nice mix of freedom and loss in this album and recognition that it all doesn’t always make sense.

Dont nobody know what Im talkin about
Ive got my own life to live
Im the one thats gonna die when its time for me to die
So let me live my life the way I want to
Yeah, sing on brother, play on drummer

4 Non Blondes: Bigger, Better, Faster, More! (1993)
Even though I own this, I’ve nearly refused to listen to it until now. The constant air play ‘What’s Up’ got just annoyed me and so I dust binned it. Pity. What a great album; what a great album for Mowin’! It rocks, it’s got hooks, it’s got legs. I wonder what happened to this ‘one hit wonder’ ? I’d place it somewhere between Meatloaf, Jane’s Addiction, and…oh nevermind…just get this out next time you mow.

NP: Superfly – 4 Non Blondes

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Grass allergies means never having to mow. :thumbsup:

But when I garden, I like to listen to more rootsy music.

GMichael
06-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Grass allergies means never having to mow. :thumbsup:

But when I garden, I like to listen to more rootsy music.

Oh hardy har har. Still hung over from the party I see.

AC/DC: Back in Black
Rush: Rush, 2112, All the World's a Stage
Black Sabath: Heaven & Hell

PeruvianSkies
06-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Yardwork tunes:

Anything by the Yardbirds.
The Mama's and the Papa's "California Drearmin" in the fall.
"Mother Nature's Son" -Beatles
"Leaves that are Green" by S&G
Larry Sparks "John Deere Tractor"
Anything by Soundgarden

Mr MidFi
06-11-2007, 10:59 AM
How about some old-school Genesis?

Me? I'm a lawn mower,
You can tell me by the way I walk!

Actually, Green Day always seems to work fine for me. It's crunchy and beat-heavy enough to cut through the engine roar. The fact that they have "green" in their name is just icing on the brownie.

Rich-n-Texas
06-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Flight of the Bumble Bee by Briggs & Stratton.

Swish
06-11-2007, 01:02 PM
and I'm in my HT room sipping a cold beer. It's especially fun with the high temps and humidity we're having so far. You really should try it sometime. :ciappa:

Swish

PeruvianSkies
06-11-2007, 04:38 PM

Now that sounds fun!!!

noddin0ff
06-11-2007, 05:45 PM
and I'm in my HT room sipping a cold beer. It's especially fun with the high temps and humidity we're having so far. You really should try it sometime. :ciappa:

Swish

ow. that hurts.

PeruvianSkies
06-12-2007, 11:10 AM

What key do you do this song in Rich? Mine's in Bflat. Get it ...Bee Flat. Haha.

GMichael
06-12-2007, 11:44 AM
What key do you do this song in Rich? Mine's in Bflat. Get it ...Bee Flat. Haha.

Bzzzt squish.

nobody
06-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Either something really loud or something listened to through those headphones that stick in your ears and keep the outside noise out.

Rae
06-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Man, I can't even imagine blasting music louder than a lawnmower. Yr neighbors must hate you.

~Rae

nobody
06-13-2007, 04:30 AM
Personally, I go with the headphones that block the noise.

Rich-n-Texas
06-13-2007, 05:03 AM
:smilewinkgrin: You're a Breed apart PS, without a doubt! :cornut:

JDaniel
06-14-2007, 06:46 PM

Swish
I do the same thing, except I watch my own two boys mow. :yesnod:

As for mowing music, I have a soft spot in my heart for the Decemberists. When I first bought my Sony noise cancelling headphones just for the purpose of listening while on the John Deere, I listened to 3 complete Decemberist albums while mowing (it takes 3+ hours to mow my yard on a lawn tractor).

Here's a picture of my "listening sweet spot" while mowing

JD

PeruvianSkies
06-14-2007, 07:39 PM
:smilewinkgrin: You're a Breed apart PS, without a doubt! :cornut:

I take that as sheer compliment my man...

Swish
06-15-2007, 04:32 AM
I do the same thing, except I watch my own two boys mow. :yesnod:

As for mowing music, I have a soft spot in my heart for the Decemberists. When I first bought my Sony noise cancelling headphones just for the purpose of listening while on the John Deere, I listened to 3 complete Decemberist albums while mowing (it takes 3+ hours to mow my yard on a lawn tractor).

Here's a picture of my "listening sweet spot" while mowing

JD

...so the neighbor's son will have to do for now. I have no problem paying him to do it. I'm on the go so much that I hate when I have to take time out to attend to my lawn. We have a ton of landscaping and the wife is always tending to that stuff, and I'm usually recruited to do the grunt work.

Good to hear from you JD and hope all is well.

G Swish

P.S. Nice tractor, if you're in to that sort of thing.

noddin0ff
06-16-2007, 10:12 AM
June 16 - Black Crows: Shake Your Money Maker

Rae
06-16-2007, 05:36 PM
I helped my parents do some digging in their backyard today and the douche next door has a whole speaker system rigged up that pumps out his jamz while he is outside spraying the yard with his hose and yelling at his kids. I spent the whole afternoon suffering through "KQRS, YOUR FAVORITE CLASSIC ROCK FROM THE 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, AND TODAY!!!". Seriously, what is it about FM radio that makes even halfway decent songs sound totally ****ty? I think they pump up the bass and add all this weird compression so that everything sounds TOTALLY ROCKIN'. Even some Creedence and ELO's "Do Ya" couldn't provide any relief from the nonstop Billy Squier and Bon Jovi that surrounded it.

~Rae

jrhymeammo
06-17-2007, 10:46 AM
****ty

~Rae
`How did you do that?

****ty.

Rae
06-17-2007, 11:20 AM
There should be a permanent sticky at the top of this board for teaching you how to use swears.

**** Piss **** **** Cocksucker Mother****er Tits Kelly Clarkson

PeruvianSkies
06-17-2007, 02:42 PM
There should be a permanent sticky at the top of this board for teaching you how to use swears.

so sneaky!!! just by changing the color of certain parts of the words. interesting. so dirty.

bobsticks
06-17-2007, 02:44 PM

...[/COLOR] Kelly Clarkson

now that really crosses the line.

noddin0ff
06-25-2007, 04:13 AM
This week

Soundgarden: Badmoterfinger
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BEAFH8BBL._AA240_.jpg

I was gettin' in to track 2, Outshined, when these lyrics came through

Someone let the dogs out
They'll show you where the truth is
The grass is always greener
Where the dogs are s-h-i-t-t-i-n-g...

And I thought, "Well, that's oddly appropriate!"

Then moving on to the next track Slaves and Bulldozers (http://www.mediafire.com/?abmzkiyyo3d) (ALE linky), I figured that maybe if I could play that track loud enough, the grass would just feel so shaken it would mow itself. I don't think I heard the mower for the whole hour.

Finished up the last of the back yard with Pixies: Doolittle
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NDXJW79RL._AA240_.jpg

ForeverAutumn
06-25-2007, 01:38 PM

Donald ***an.

Cool! :thumbsup:

unleasHell
06-25-2007, 06:09 PM
music for mowing???

how about some: MO-TOWN?