B&W 801 nautilus VS. B&W 801D (new line) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W 801 nautilus VS. B&W 801D (new line)

twinturbo11
06-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Hey guys,

From my understanding, there are two main types of 801s. The 801 nautilus, which is 3-6 years old, and the 801D, which is from the new line that was introduced. My question to you guys are:

1) what is main difference between the two?
2) which one is better? Is it by a significant margin?
3) If 801D is better, but 801N is $3-4k cheaper, which one should I go for?

Thanks!
Alberto

drseid
06-11-2007, 02:31 AM
Hey guys,

From my understanding, there are two main types of 801s. The 801 nautilus, which is 3-6 years old, and the 801D, which is from the new line that was introduced. My question to you guys are:

1) what is main difference between the two?
2) which one is better? Is it by a significant margin?
3) If 801D is better, but 801N is $3-4k cheaper, which one should I go for?

Thanks!
Alberto

I should start out by saying the 801s (in any form) were never my cup of tea... So you may want to disregard my opinion here. That said...

I found the 801D to have a bit better definition up top (most likely due to the diamond tweeter), and it had some more punch on the low-end. The dealer told me some crazy statistics about just how *much* improvement there was on the low-end (I won't repeat it here) and just how amazing the new tweeter is, but my ears did not hear anything like what he described, just a noticable improvement.

If your heart is set on one of these two speakers, then the 801D is the superior speaker to my ears, but only marginally so, and therefore the value shopper in me would look at the 801Ns for purchase and save the 3-4K. If you are spending this kind of money on speakers I highly recommend you hear both for yourself and see what *your* ears (and wallet) tell you.

Other recommended speakers to look at in the 801D price range or below (in no particular order) that would make good alternatives depending on your listening tastes and room size.... Von Schweikert VR-5SEs (or used DB99SEs as they have been discontinued), Tyler Acoustics Woodmeres (or even my Linbrook System from Tyler), McIntosh XRT-28s, Merlin VSM MXs, Legacy Whispers.... just a small sampling.

Good luck,

---Dave

twinturbo11
06-11-2007, 04:56 AM
Why are they not your cup of tea? They are supposed to have crystal clear highs, accurate mids, and strong but tight bass.....?

I have only heard the 800 and 802 - although i loved the highs and mids, I felt like the bass was rather lacking... Thats why I thought the 801 would be a perfect combination

drseid
06-11-2007, 06:27 AM
Why are they not your cup of tea? They are supposed to have crystal clear highs, accurate mids, and strong but tight bass.....?

I have only heard the 800 and 802 - although i loved the highs and mids, I felt like the bass was rather lacking... Thats why I thought the 801 would be a perfect combination

Of course this is just one person's opinion but I have never found the speakers in question to have "crystal clear highs, accurate mids and strong but tight bass." I guess it depends on who you ask, and what their reference is and their preferences.

That said, you may feel completely different and I am in no way implying my opinion is any better than anyone else's. I think at the end of the day it comes down to taste. In my case they are not my cup of tea. It sounds like we may have very different preferences as I have heard the 802Ns and 802Ds and felt the same as I did when I heard the 801N and 801Ds. As you like the B&W sound, I am sure you will be very happy with them.

---Dave