Speaker Donation: A Question of Generosity. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Donation: A Question of Generosity.

coastrat
06-10-2007, 09:26 PM
I have a neighbor in my complex who is a cool older gentleman. One day when we were talking near his door, I noticed he had an old system composed of all McIntosh products.

I couldn't get a close look, but I know he had at least two components (integrated amp maybe and something else?) and a pair of McIntosh speakers. Long story short, his speakers are completely deteriorated; the paper appears to have disintegrated in places on the cone. He told me that he fires up the system every now and then, but the speakers distort so much he has to turn it off.

Where I come in: I have a pair of B&W 601's that I'm not using and while I don't want to give them away, I wouldn't mind loaning them out indefinitely to this fella. My main concern is that his equipment won't mess up my speakers.

Without knowing the particular components and only the manufacturer, do y'all think there is any possibility of him hurting them by the products he has?

Thanks All Knowing Ones.

MikeyBC
06-11-2007, 03:18 AM
I'd take a closer look at his speakers...maybe all they need is a 20-30 dollar re-foam kit...very easy to do by yourself. Just need to take note where the foam is glued to the cone flattens out or is angled like the rest of the cone.

If your unsure about the stereo just ask to take a closer look for yourself...I doubt there'd be any problem.

basite
06-11-2007, 05:05 AM
speakers are more prone to break due to underpowering, this, however, will most likely not be a problem with them macs...
cranking them will not be good for your speakers of course (at least, not for long times) but if he keeps it at 'normal' listening levels, they should not harm your speakers.

JohnMichael
06-11-2007, 08:23 AM
First let me say I think it is great that you would be willing to let him use your speakers. He may be on a fixed income and not able to buy new ones for himself. MikeyBC may be right that the surrounds are shot and he may not be aware they can be repaired for a reasonable cost. I am sure he would be grateful for any help. After all if he bought Mac he was a music lover at one point in his life.

coastrat
06-11-2007, 10:33 AM
First let me say I think it is great that you would be willing to let him use your speakers. He may be on a fixed income and not able to buy new ones for himself. MikeyBC may be right that the surrounds are shot and he may not be aware they can be repaired for a reasonable cost. I am sure he would be grateful for any help. After all if he bought Mac he was a music lover at one point in his life.

Thank you, but I think you overestimate me; I'm just trying to get in line for his Mac stuff. :smilewinkgrin:

Old Dude drives a sweet mid 80's red 6 series BMW and has a wife somewhere in South America. I have good reason to believe he used to work in "intelligence."

Yes, I AM trying to be generous, but I freely admit to having aims as well. ;)

You know, I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me. :aureola:

GMichael
06-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Thank you, but I think you overestimate me; I'm just trying to get in line for his Mac stuff. :smilewinkgrin:

Old Dude drives a sweet mid 80's red 6 series BMW and has a wife somewhere in South America. I have good reason to believe he used to work in "intelligence."

His equipment won't hurt your speakers unless he cranks them to insane levels.
Why not let him use your B&W's while you look into repairing his speakers. It won't cost much and he'll be very happy to get them back repaired.

audio_dude
06-11-2007, 01:13 PM
i like gmicheals advice. he can't really hurt your speakers without hurting his own ears, and he probably know enough about audio not to do that.
You could take a longer look at his speakers and see if they're salvageable.

basite
06-12-2007, 03:58 AM
they probably are, a refoaming kit will be the least of the worries, if the cone itselves has holes in it, it will get more difficult, it will be possible though, if the VC is gone (due to rubbing or so) it will be really hard.

but if it's impossible to find any reconing kits for them, you could get a pair of new woofers, which are similar to the originals. but there will always be a difference in sound then.
no one asked yet, but what speakers are they? Mc speakers are decent stuff, it will be worth to repair them.

Good luck,
Bert.

Grandpaw
06-12-2007, 04:30 AM
I would suggest going the repair or replace the woofers route. If those speakers are in his house and something happens to him there is a good chance that you will never see any of the equipment again. If something happens to the old gentleman the people involved in the will won't know you from the next guy.

I like the idea of helping him out but do it for the right reasons. Every time I have helped someone without any expectation of getting something in return, good things have always came my way. Just a thought, Jeff