Another boring speaker question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another boring speaker question

newspeakerguy
06-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Maybe someone can help me out...I'm putting together a very low-end system...Probably will be using a Sherwood 4109 (for the phono input--using an old Philips 312!), need speakers--I have a very old pair of Ohm Acoustics Model E's, but one of the woofers is loose and I'm guessing any repair would be the same as a new set. (The receiver I have is an ancient KLH Model 72 and it has some serious problems on the inside.) Have been researching, am thinking about the Cerwin Vega VE-5M or maybe a JBL Venue, either an Arena or a Monitor--leaning towards the Arena for the 6" woofer, but I can't find a lot of info on it. Obviously I'm trying to keep the price below $150 for the pair. This is just a bedroom setup and I'm not getting a subwoofer (I realize what that limits me to). JBL's are apparently discontinued and are on sale, so they seem like a good deal. I have also heard about the BIC DV-62si's, but I'm not sure--it sounds like I would need to mail them off for the upgrade to get the sound I want. I have good speaker wire. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks. (p.s. I checked out the Sony SS-MB350H at Best Buy--they weren't awful, but weren't great. I assume that the SS-B3000 model and the Pioneer S-HF41-LR at Circuit City would give me basically the same sound. I'd buy one of these if I had to, but what I hope is that the above models will give me a better sound, while still giving some bass, despite the fact that they're a little smaller. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

superdougiefreshness
06-11-2007, 02:02 AM
I got a pair if BIC DV-52si used in a thrift store and sent them off to Ed at EFE Technologies after finding out about them on the web
Here is Ed's link efespeakers@commspeed.net (efespeakers@commspeed.net) Now the big thing I want to mention here is that Ed will sell you a brand new pair of BIC's already modified so you don't have to go out to somewhere else and buy a pair of BIC's and send them to him after all---cool right ? It gets better He has the entire line including the center channel and all. And the model you were writing about "BIC DV-62si's", are a real star in his line up....I have the smaller pair of DV-52si's and the 62si's your talking about are much better sounding model for sure because they have the larger bass driver that makes for a far better sound. Don't bother with the pair I have "52si's" thay don't have enough bass at all, the bass driver on mine is to small so stick with the 62si's for sure.
I spoke with Ed on the phone and he is a great guy and he made my speakers sound real sweet and they are very efficient so they don't need allot of power.
Hope this has been helpful........
Good luck and keep us all posted on your decision. :crazy:

Later
SuperDougieFreshNess - San Diego - Heaven On Earth

basite
06-11-2007, 05:00 AM
Maybe someone can help me out...I'm putting together a very low-end system...Probably will be using a Sherwood 4109 (for the phono input--using an old Philips 312!), need speakers--I have a very old pair of Ohm Acoustics Model E's, but one of the woofers is loose and I'm guessing any repair would be the same as a new set. (The receiver I have is an ancient KLH Model 72 and it has some serious problems on the inside.) Have been researching, am thinking about the Cerwin Vega VE-5M or maybe a JBL Venue, either an Arena or a Monitor--leaning towards the Arena for the 6" woofer, but I can't find a lot of info on it. Obviously I'm trying to keep the price below $150 for the pair. This is just a bedroom setup and I'm not getting a subwoofer (I realize what that limits me to). JBL's are apparently discontinued and are on sale, so they seem like a good deal. I have also heard about the BIC DV-62si's, but I'm not sure--it sounds like I would need to mail them off for the upgrade to get the sound I want. I have good speaker wire. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks. (p.s. I checked out the Sony SS-MB350H at Best Buy--they weren't awful, but weren't great. I assume that the SS-B3000 model and the Pioneer S-HF41-LR at Circuit City would give me basically the same sound. I'd buy one of these if I had to, but what I hope is that the above models will give me a better sound, while still giving some bass, despite the fact that they're a little smaller. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

question: with 'one of the woofers is loose': do you mean that the surrounds are gone or that the entire woofer is out?
if it's only the surrounds, you could refoam them if you want...

Jimmy C
06-11-2007, 12:57 PM

...Dayton BR1s from Partsexpress.com. I wouldn't call it "high end", but definitely not low end at all.

What I like about them...

1) Soft-dome tweeter, not fatigueing at all. Fairly resolving given their price. Not as good as my AV123 Onix x-ls (another idea if ya wanna stretch budget), but they can deliver information.

2) Bass is pretty good, they feel full and satisfying. The sound is balanced, the HF doesn't jump out at you driving ice picks into your ears.

What I don't like...

1) Considering price, nothing really. There is some cabinet resonance, a bit tubby - I'll get over it, they're $139.

2) Like I said, you must assemble them. No biggie really, and I had fun. i bought these simply because I wanted to put together an inexpensive speaker... the sound was/is better than I expected.

Yeah, IIRC it was $159 shipped to my front door. Not bad...

audio_dude
06-11-2007, 01:10 PM
I'd recommend you have a listen to the new paradigm Atom Monitor V.5
great little speaker, even deeper bass than its predecessor (which I used to own, they were amazing) check them out, or look for a used set of V.4's

newspeakerguy
06-11-2007, 09:47 PM
#2: thanks, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

#3: You know, I realized I had no idea--I dug these out of the closet and it's been years since I even tried to use them. Went to a local shop and had a conversation--I'll be taking them in: they were familiar with them and yeah it's probably just the foam or something. So we'll see.

#4 and #5: thanks, interesting suggestions! I'll look into them.