Threshold - Dead Reckoning [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Threshold - Dead Reckoning

ForeverAutumn
06-10-2007, 04:47 PM
There's an independant record store across the street from my office that sells new and used CDs. I've become friendly with the owner as he and I share a love for prog and metal (he was also at the recent Porky Tree show). I was in there on Friday and he recommended a buch of bands to me that I hadn't heard before. One of which was Threshold. I bought their latest CD, Dead Reckoning. I haven't been able to get it out of the player all weekend!

This is a great CD. It's modern day metal, very heavy in spots. But it has a bit of an 80's nostalgia to it in that it's very melodic. The store owner spun a couple of partial tracks for me before I agreed to purchase it and I described it to him as toe tapping metal. It has the hooks of some 80's hair bands, but incredibly good musicianship to make the songs more complex and interesting. Dead Reckoning is my first Threshold CD, but it won't be my last.

As an added bit of interesting but worthless trivia...I got an email from Amazon.com today with some new recommendations based on my previous purchases. At the top of the list was Dead Reckoning by Threshold...I guess it was meant to be!

Finch Platte
06-10-2007, 05:32 PM
There's an independant record store...it was meant to be!

I wanna hear! :21:

3-LockBox
06-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Dead Reckoning is my first Threshold CD, but it won't be my last!

I guess you missed that Threshold thread I started a few months back - that's OK...IIRC, it had about zer0 responses ;)
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=22432&highlight=Threshold

Their last four have been pretty good, I like Critical Mass & Hypothetical myself...Subsurface was kinda samey sounding and I haven't purchased the new one (Dead Reckoning) yet.

You may want to check out Dead Soul Tribe some time.

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2007, 05:28 AM
BarryL introduced me to DST a while back. I really liked it, but in my usual dilemma of too much music and too little time it got buried in the heaps somewhere. Thanks for the reminder...I'll dig it out if I can find it.

I don't know how I missed your Threshold thread. Usually anything able to be compared with Dream Theater interests me. But you'll be happy to hear that I also purchased the first Pain of Salvation disk on Friday. I haven't cracked the plastic on it yet though.

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2007, 05:30 AM
I wanna hear! :21:

You'll likey. It's actually much more progressive than my first post would lead you to believe.

I've got a couple of things to send your way. Be patient grasshopper.