Are you still doing Mystery Discs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are you still doing Mystery Discs?

Finch Platte
06-09-2007, 05:17 PM
I've got one I'd like you prog lovers to hear, just to see what you think.

Eme if you're interested, and I'll send you one. No, YECH, you can't have one. :frown2:

DaveG been around lately?

fp

ForeverAutumn
06-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Are you still alive? I thought you were eaten by a mountain lion! :eek:

You know where to send the disk. :cool:

Rock on brother.

3-LockBox
06-09-2007, 07:37 PM
I should like one as well.

But I ain't got yer addy.

I'll PM ya.

Dave_G
06-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Dood!

Where ya been?

Still ridin?

I just got a call from my LBS, by new bike is built and ready to pick up! Yeehaa!

I got a Zaskar, killer deal on-line.

Mystery disc, eh?

PM me!

Got 2 tix for Deep Purple in July, but not so sweet seats, kind of bummed...

Dave

Hyfi
06-10-2007, 11:37 AM
I would like to play along with this one. I will drop you an email.

Hyfi

Swish
06-10-2007, 12:53 PM
...I'll be glad to put you through the paces and accept your offer.

How you doin' Finch?

G Swish

Finch Platte
06-10-2007, 02:23 PM
To respond to your posts took about 40 seconds to load. :sleep:

Hi, everybutty! Didja miss me? :ihih:

Dave- cool on the bike. Let's see pics! Are you still on Colonnades?

Swish, still on Lake?

Anyone "new" here that ever responds to these posts and requests discs?

fp

bobsticks
06-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I do, but the last time I did nothing materialize from it. ' Course the mail gets stolen down here a lot in the hood.

To be fair I haven't sent anything out since I upgraded to my new crappy Vista machine with its seeming inability to run programs that support lossless audio...

Finch Platte
06-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I do, but the last time I did nothing materialize from it. ' Course the mail gets stolen down here a lot in the hood.

To be fair I haven't sent anything out since I upgraded to my new crappy Vista machine with its seeming inability to run programs that support lossless audio...

You're in the hood? Leave the Vista machine on the poach! You have homeowner's insurance, right? :smilewinkgrin:

fp

Swish
06-10-2007, 03:12 PM
To respond to your posts took about 40 seconds to load. :sleep:

Hi, everybutty! Didja miss me? :ihih:

Swish, still on Lake?

Anyone "new" here that ever responds to these posts and requests discs?

fp

1. Did I miss you? Well, let's just say that when I saw your post I remembered you. :)

2. Yes, I'm still on the Lake

3. I think the newbies may be a little shy, especially since you haven't been around these parts in a while. Once they get to know you, they'll avoid you like the rest of us.

G Swish

Swish
06-10-2007, 03:21 PM

Well, according to my ultra computer geek son it is. He had plenty of reasons to avoid it at this juncture, but it sounds like you got hosed.

G Swish. Still happy with XP Pro.

bobsticks
06-10-2007, 03:21 PM
You're in the hood? Leave the Vista machine on the poach! You have homeowner's insurance, right? :smilewinkgrin:

fp

Best idea I've heard all day.

hehe, I may have exaggerated a bit. I'm in the historic district which is on the edge of the hood. Of course, half of Indy is hood. In addition to boasting the number one NFL team capable of annihilating GSwishy's Eagles, we're currently the murder capital of the country.

So we got that goin' for us.

I'll PM the necessary info.

bobsticks
06-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Well, according to my ultra computer geek son it is. He had plenty of reasons to avoid it at this juncture, but it sounds like you got hosed.

G Swish. Still happy with XP Pro.

Yeah, the hosing was fairly complete...but its got such schweet new graphics. Whatever.

The thing is "quirky" at best.It is fast. There is virtually no processing time on AR for instance, but I get my ID kicked out all the time so any advantage is negated by the extra time signing in. Then there's the aformentioned inability to utilize any lossless audio codecs. Actually there are very few programs that are compatible as of this time. Maybe in a year or two it will be more versatile, but until then it is what it is.

B Sticks. Remembering the good old days of XP Pro

Hyfi
06-10-2007, 04:06 PM
The thing is "quirky" at best.It is fast. There is virtually no processing time on AR for instance, but I get my ID kicked out all the time so any advantage is negated by the extra time signing in.

Just a thought but check how Vista is handling your cookies. Cookies are what store the sign in information for sites. Even with Pro, if you deleted all your Temp Internet Files and Cookies, you have to resign in the next time.

ForeverAutumn
06-10-2007, 04:31 PM
I've got one I'd like you prog lovers to hear, just to see what you think.

...I'll be glad to put you through the paces and accept your offer.

Ah hah! More proof that Swish is a closet progger! When you gonna finally come out of the closet Swish Grandaddy?

3-LockBox
06-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Holy crap! Finchy's comp doesn't suck giant hippo balls!

Its pretty good actually (at least the first one I listened to..A Sh!t Load of New Music).

Thanx Finchy!

Slosh
06-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Then there's the aformentioned inability to utilize any lossless audio codecs. Actually there are very few programs that are compatible as of this time. Maybe in a year or two it will be more versatile, but until then it is what it is.
My friend is running Vista on both his desktop and laptop and has no problems with lossless, and in fact streams FLAC to a Roku SoundBridge via wi-fi.

Windows Media Player 11 - WMA Lossless and Apple Lossless
Media Monkey - FLAC, WMAL, and APE
iTunes - Apple Lossless

All of these are out-of-the-box stock with no plug-ins.

Me, I'm sticking with XP until there is some must-have software that requires Vista.

bobsticks
06-13-2007, 03:36 PM
dammit Slosh, whattya mean...it's in...OK, so it's not under performance,enhancements, or plugins but in fact under options. That changes everything. I no longer despise Vista for its inability to rip and burn in lossless codecs. Now I loathe it because everything isn't where it should be in my fragmented Bobstick's World.

Hey Finchy,

It's agreed in these parts that there's no hippo balls in sight--for the most part. Elvis At The Hop had me searching for one of those aluminium Kramer guitars and a cape but Salt Lick lost me in the culdesac of its own infantile chaos. Not a fan of noise fer the sake of noise. I'm all about The Crawling Horror although I notice that song titles have little to do with the content in this here genre you call prog.

I spent the early morning listening to Schumann and Prokofiev so the day is fairly well on its way with that kind of musical juxtaposition. Nice way to come home. Thanks.

Finch Platte
06-13-2007, 04:41 PM
dammit Slosh, whattya mean...it's in...OK, so it's not under performance,enhancements, or plugins but in fact under options. That changes everything. I no longer despise Vista for its inability to rip and burn in lossless codecs. Now I loathe it because everything isn't where it should be in my fragmented Bobstick's World.

Hey Finchy,

It's agreed in these parts that there's no hippo balls in sight--for the most part. Elvis At The Hop had me searching for one of those aluminium Kramer guitars and a cape but Salt Lick lost me in the culdesac of its own infantile chaos. Not a fan of noise fer the sake of noise. I'm all about The Crawling Horror although I notice that song titles have little to do with the content in this here genre you call prog.

I spent the early morning listening to Schumann and Prokofiev so the day is fairly well on its way with that kind of musical juxtaposition. Nice way to come home. Thanks.

Damn- I guess that extra 2 cents we give the USPS has 'em hopping. Seems like I just mailed those this morning!

You're welcome, but if one more person posts something positive, I'll know I'm losing my touch. :ciappa:

fp

3-LockBox
06-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Hey Finch,

Are we supposed to guess who's on the mystery disc?

Finch Platte
06-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Hey Finch,

Are we supposed to guess who's on the mystery disc?

Sure, you can try that. You can also critique it, and don't worry about hurting my feelings. This is a disc I picked out of the used bin because I liked the cover, and the name of the record label was cool (no, I'm not going to tell you! :prrr: )

Or, you can tell us how well it did in a skeet shoot. Or, you can use it to scare crows in your vineyard. Or.... :20:

Be creative! Best review wins some swag out of my swag drawer. :3:

elf pee

Finch Platte
06-13-2007, 07:20 PM

Hey Finchy,

I gotta tell you, man- this is some funny stuff. I've reread it about 3 or 4 times now. Thanks for the laughs! :biggrin5:

fp

Any of the Tribal Tech reminding you of Weather Report, by any chance?

bobsticks
06-13-2007, 07:31 PM
You're welcome, but if one more person posts something positive, I'll know I'm losing my touch. :ciappa:

fp

...was as far as I was prepared to go in a civilized converstaion. Thanks for reminding me where I am. Frankly, Salt Lick sounded like nine gibbons ripping live chickens in half. Complete rubbish...there ya go.

I really did like Elvis At The Hop. It reminded me of a less-anal Marillion.

Cheers

Troy
06-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the mystery disc, feench.

I've played it repeatedly today and think it's just ok. It reminds me of all those Pendragon/Gerard/Galahad bands. "Harold Cain" is particularly hokey. Singer sounds just like what's his name, Cousins from the Stawbs.

It sounds like yet another third wave prog band (with the silliest damn name) that rehashes 80s Marillion and Asia rather than 70s Genesis and Yes. Saga? Watered down, safe and cliched.

I'd rather listen to this than Bjork, Wilco or Beck though.

3-LockBox
06-18-2007, 03:02 PM
I liked the mystery disc. Yeah, its old hat, but its done well. Better than the last few Pendragon, IQ or Pallas albums I've heard.

Swish
06-18-2007, 04:04 PM
I've played it repeatedly today and think it's just ok. Watered down, safe and cliched. I'd rather listen to this than Bjork, Wilco or Beck though.

Now you are a confirmed psychopath. This mystery prog before Wilco? :confused5:

G Swish

ForeverAutumn
06-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Mine arrived today. The package looks like it had been opened, but the disks arrived safely.

I'll give er a spin tomorrow.

Troy
06-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Now you are a confirmed psychopath.

This just in.

This mystery prog before Wilco?

Heh, yeah. Wilco bores me.

ForeverAutumn
06-19-2007, 07:10 AM
I've spun this twice and it's really not doing anything for me. It's okay, but it all sounds so familiar.

Maybe it's the recording quality, or maybe it's the system that I'm listening on, but there's just way too much treble for me. Everything is just a little bit too high. And there's too much keyboard for my taste.

The singer sounds very familiar, but I can't quite place where I've heard him or who he sounds like. Maybe it's just that the whole disk is very reminiscent, including the vocals.

It's an okay CD. I don't dislike it. It's something that I might put on for background music, but not something that's gonna make me sit back and go, "Yeah Baby, that's the ticket!".

Mystery disks are always fun! Now that I've heard it, feel free to tell us who it is. :)

Finch Platte
06-20-2007, 05:41 AM
Mystery disks are always fun! Now that I've heard it, feel free to tell us who it is. :)

http://www.progrockrecords.com/pictures/products/Puppet%20Show_cover_large.JPG

Puppet Show’s second album “The Tale Of Woe” expands upon the sound and direction the group established with “Traumatized” and additionally benefits from a far superior recording process. As with “Traumatized,” all the songs on the new album are co-written by all members of the band and the new tracks still contain the keyboard/ guitar interchanges, expressive vocals, and intricate rhythms for which the band is known. Learning from the mistakes made recording the first album, Puppet Show took several steps to make the new album superior both musically and sonically. The first goal was attained as the result of working together for several years honing their songwriting skills. The latter goal was achieved by enlisting the help of mixer and producer extraordinaire Terry Brown (Rush, IQ, FM, Fates Warning) and Genie Award winning producer/ mastering engineer Peter J. Moore (Cowboy Junkies, The Band, Crash Test Dummies) who respectively mixed and mastered “The Tale Of Woe.” Look for the new album to be released in February 2007. If you remember the band from before, Puppet Show is definitely back! If you’ve never heard of them, Puppet Show is here! Either way, we hope you enjoy the results.

Sean Frazier: Vocals
Mike Grimes: Keyboards
Chris Mack: Drums
Chris Ogburn: Guitars
Craig Polson: Bass

1. Seasons
2. Seven Gentle Spirits
3. Harold Cain
4. Past Has Just Begun
5. God's Angry Man
6. On Second Thought

On ProgRock Records. (http://www.progrockrecords.com/shop/view.php?id=114)

Aside to FA, you may be interested in this. (http://www.progrockrecords.com/shop/view.php?id=23)

fp

ForeverAutumn
06-20-2007, 06:33 AM
The latter goal was achieved by enlisting the help of mixer and producer extraordinaire Terry Brown .
Wow, I wonder what it cost them to get Terry Brown as a producer.

Aside to FA, you may be interested in this. (http://www.progrockrecords.com/shop/view.php?id=23)
Thanks Finchy. I already have that one. I prefer Henning's Chain projects over his Frameshift projects. Although the Frameshift disk with LaBrie is much better than the one with Sebastian Bach IMO.

Troy
06-20-2007, 06:46 AM
I think Spinal Tap opened for these guys at an amusement park . . .

Finch Platte
06-20-2007, 07:12 AM
I think Spinal Tap opened for these guys at an amusement park . . .

Yup. Right here. (http://www.stocktongov.com/pixiewoods/)

:16:

BradH
06-20-2007, 08:50 AM

Hey, Finchy, you can send that Tribal Tech my way too if you want. I'll hook you up like I did w/ that KSAN/Marley.

Have you heard Tribal Techtones? It's Steve Smith, Vic Wooten & the guitar player from Tribal Tech...whatsisname. Anyway, they got the name from adding Vital Information + Tribal Tech + Flecktones. The best fusion trio I've heard since Bozzio, Levin & Stevens.

3-LockBox
06-20-2007, 11:00 AM
It sounds like yet another third wave prog band (with the silliest damn name) that rehashes 80s Marillion and Asia rather than 70s Genesis and Yes. Saga? Watered down, safe and cliched.

I have to agree that it's a rehash, as most modern prog is. I think its done well enough. I haven't heard anything from Pendragon, IQ, or Pallas that I'd rather hear instead. No, it doesn't break any new ground. Reminds me of another prog discovery from last year - Carptree (yeah I know, another regretable band name). Not bad at all though.

The name Puppet Show though :confused5: ...what were they thinking?

ForeverAutumn
06-20-2007, 11:13 AM
The name Puppet Show though :confused5: ...what were they thinking?

I'll bet that they let someone's three year old name the band.

Ever ask a little kid what they want to name their pet? It's always something hokey like Fluffy or Brownie.

Hey little Susie, for your birthday I'm gonna let you name Daddy's rock band? What should our name be?

PUPPET SHOW!!!!

3-LockBox
06-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Hey little Susie, for your birthday I'm gonna let you name Daddy's rock band? What should our name be?

PUPPET SHOW!!!!

Well, I guess its a good thing little Susie didn't say something like 'poopy'.

I do like the disc though.

BradH
06-20-2007, 11:27 AM

I'd rather listen to this than Bjork, Wilco or Beck though.

I'm looking at that post and I'm thinking two things:

If you're on drugs you need to stop right now.

If you're not on drugs you need to start right now.

Finch Platte
06-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Hey, Finchy, you can send that Tribal Tech my way too if you want. I'll hook you up like I did w/ that KSAN/Marley.

Have you heard Tribal Techtones? It's Steve Smith, Vic Wooten & the guitar player from Tribal Tech...whatsisname. Anyway, they got the name from adding Vital Information + Tribal Tech + Flecktones. The best fusion trio I've heard since Bozzio, Levin & Stevens.

http://www.djangomusic.com/images/cover200/DRe100/e156/e156868eyik.jpg

I've heard them and I think I have a disc or two by them, but their name is Vital Tech Tones. I like Tribal Tech better.

PM me w/ yer address & I'll send along the TT comp.

fp

BradH
06-20-2007, 02:38 PM
I've heard them and I think I have a disc or two by them, but their name is Vital Tech Tones.

Yeah, that's it! Their 2nd album. Heavy stuff.

Which one of those hairstyles should I choose for my own self?

bobsticks
06-20-2007, 06:39 PM

Kinda sorta. Definetely some similar chord progressions going on. You could say WR if Jaco was having an off-day and you throw in Robben Ford all amped up on Red Bull and Jager. Very nice.

After a few listens I would say that the TT will be something I explore further...and the Mystery Disc was...uumm...a worthwhile experiment. Perhaps not ultimately my cuppa I was cool with "Seven Gentle Spirits" and "On Second Thought"...you know what? Let's not focus on any of that...I liked the Tribal Tech.

Muchas Gracias

Finch Platte
06-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Kinda sorta. Definetely some similar chord progressions going on. You could say WR if Jaco was having an off-day and you throw in Robben Ford all amped up on Red Bull and Jager. Very nice.

After a few listens I would say that the TT will be something I explore further...and the Mystery Disc was...uumm...a worthwhile experiment. Perhaps not ultimately my cuppa I was cool with "Seven Gentle Spirits" and "On Second Thought"...you know what? Let's not focus on any of that...I liked the Tribal Tech.

Muchas Gracias

Cool!

Hey, speaking of WR- I picked up a live DVD of theirs from Montreux way back in '76, I think? It's interesting. The sound is iffy, and the camera work is pretty bad sometimes (too many closeups of Shorter et al sweating like a waterfall), but the fire and dynamics are there, and it's amazing to see Jaco Strappo- err, Pastorius (he was so young!!).

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bgA%2B0WFoL._SS500_.jpg

Not a huge fan of Alex Acuņa on drums, but *shrug* oh, well. Maybe w/ time, I'll grow to love him. :smile5:

fp