Lossless audio question.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lossless audio question..

goldenmember
06-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Have a Rotel 1067 receiver and just starting to dabble in some blu-ray discs played through a PS3. Without the ability to use HDMI how can I use the hi-res audio tracks that are available on these discs? It seems to default to Pro LogicII when Itry to di it with optical cable. I'm still stuck listening to standard 5.1 mixes and won't upgrad to a Blu ray player unless I can get the improved audio.

L.J.
06-09-2007, 11:48 AM
As long as your Rotel has 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs you should be ok as long as you get a player capable of decoding the hi res formats and outputting via analog out to your AVR. I think all current BR players are capable of this. The PS3 does not have analog outs so your stuck with standard DD/DTS unless you upgrade to a AVR that has at least HDMI 1.1or up.

goldenmember
06-09-2007, 02:01 PM
That makes sense to me. I do have the analog inputs so I guess I'll start looking at stand alone players since those prices have been dropping steadily.

Mr Peabody
06-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Do Blu ray movies at least do 5.1 via the digital into older processors? I was also watching prices, I'd like to get the improved picture but I'm not ready to buy a new processor. I could live with at least DTS for now.

Another thing that's holding me back as well are the prices of the actual discs.

s dog
06-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Do Blu ray movies at least do 5.1 via the digital into older processors? I was also watching prices, I'd like to get the improved picture but I'm not ready to buy a new processor. I could live with at least DTS for now.

Another thing that's holding me back as well are the prices of the actual discs.

Im not ready to buy yet either, There is just to much about this HD-DVD thing that i dont fully understand yet, plus the cost.

L.J.
06-09-2007, 09:38 PM

Yeah you can still listen to standard DD/DTS. Most are encoded at a slightly higher bitrate. DD @ 640kbps and DTS @ 1.5mb. Not bad at all.

I've been getting my BR discs for decent prices but you really gotta shop around. Prices should be looking good by the end of the year if things keep moving along.

pixelthis
06-10-2007, 02:31 AM
YEAH, the latest review of a sony blu ray (widescreen review) says that it does DTS
AND DD really well.
Too bad it took the advent of HD and BLURAY to get studios to start using the entire bitrate of DTS, instead of as a marketing ploy

Mr Peabody
06-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Yeah, that $499.00 Sony has my interest. If it does the DD/DTS into my processor, that's a step in the right direction.

I probably need to do more research, I just went out to CC's website and it looked like BR discs were $28 to $38.99. This may be for newer releases. One thing that would really help is if one of the movie rental chains jumped on one format or another. I'm sure that won't happen unless the scales tip one way or the other. I think Netflix rents HD discs but I haven't gotten into that.

Didn't some one also say something about a BR player from Panasonic that is $299.00?

L.J.
06-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah, that $499.00 Sony has my interest. If it does the DD/DTS into my processor, that's a step in the right direction.

I probably need to do more research, I just went out to CC's website and it looked like BR discs were $28 to $38.99. This may be for newer releases. One thing that would really help is if one of the movie rental chains jumped on one format or another. I'm sure that won't happen unless the scales tip one way or the other. I think Netflix rents HD discs but I haven't gotten into that.

Didn't some one also say something about a BR player from Panasonic that is $299.00?

I went with netflix. 17.99 for unlimited BR/DVD/HD rentals, 3 out at a time. I've had no problem getting movies and new releases are usually available pretty quick.

I hang around the HD bargains thread at DVDTALK and catch great deals on BR. I haven't come close to paying those prices, but most of my purchases are from the internet. I believe Amazon has some of the lowest prices right now. You can also try Deepdiscountdvd.

Not sure about the Panny. I think the lowest is the Sony for $499.

PeruvianSkies
06-10-2007, 08:30 PM
I went with netflix. 17.99 for unlimited BR/DVD/HD rentals, 3 out at a time. I've had no problem getting movies and new releases are usually available pretty quick.

I hang around the HD bargains thread at DVDTALK and catch great deals on BR. I haven't come close to paying those prices, but most of my purchases are from the internet. I believe Amazon has some of the lowest prices right now. You can also try Deepdiscountdvd.

Not sure about the Panny. I think the lowest is the Sony for $499.

I knew years ago when all these various websites started popping up calling themselves....something something dvd or dvd something something that it wasn't a wise choice. With the new formats and such I think that in just a short period of time these places are going to have a hard time appealing to customers just by name alone. You don't buy DVD's from Laserdisc.com do ya? lol. Anyway, I'm happy that the site I contribute to is called FulvueDrive-in.com and when my friend came up with that about 5 years ago he was on the ball about not going with something that screams a certain format, since we cover books, CD's, DVD's and now have the largest reviews of the HD formats of ANY site on the web!!!

westcott
06-11-2007, 06:00 AM
I think one must be careful when deciding to buy components that rely on analog connections for HD content, audio or video. The content providers are really wary of piracy and are demanding that HDMI be the standard by which all digital content be delivered. Why? Because they believe HDCP will protect their HD audio and video content. If or when it is fully implemented, analog connections may be a thing of the past and no longer viable for HD content of any type.

I suggest biting the the bullet and planning of an HDMI upgrade path for long term component investments.

pixelthis
06-11-2007, 07:58 AM
I think one must be careful when deciding to buy components that rely on analog connections for HD content, audio or video. The content providers are really wary of piracy and are demanding that HDMI be the standard by which all digital content be delivered. Why? Because they believe HDCP will protect their HD audio and video content. If or when it is fully implemented, analog connections may be a thing of the past and no longer viable for HD content of any type.

I suggest biting the the bullet and planning of an HDMI upgrade path for long term component investments.
The funny thing is, the copy protection of both blue ray AND hddvd has already been
cracked!
Theres a few things they can do (and are doing) to "rescue" AACS, randomizing the encryption keys, ect, but any fence someone puts up someone will tear down, eventually

westcott
06-11-2007, 09:59 AM
The funny thing is, the copy protection of both blue ray AND hddvd has already been
cracked!
Theres a few things they can do (and are doing) to "rescue" AACS, randomizing the encryption keys, ect, but any fence someone puts up someone will tear down, eventually

You are absolutely right and that is why we may never see any content of real substance, just like SACD and DVD Audio. You will notice I said "they believe" it will provide protection.

When will they learn that no solution will ever be safe and just accept it.

Mr Peabody
06-11-2007, 06:45 PM
I really can't stand the company behind HDMI. They put the product out saying it will do all this great stuff when in fact it would only pass 2.0 audio and who knows quality of video. I understand they have different versions and upgrades since then but isn't this crap confusing enough already without worrying whether after spending the money your equipment will do what it is supposed to over a stupid cable force fed to you.. This kind of stuff is a big turn off to early adoption of new technology for me. I bought into the whole HDMI and video upgrade thing when I was looking for a new DVD player around the time HDMI first came out. After buying the DVD player and finding out all the limitations to HDMI and upconversions it left a bad taste in my mouth, and as you might can tell, I'm still bitter. I'll be with component video and some type of digital audio output until it's obsolete and hoping all the while HDMI goes bankrupt or another technology comes along to blow it away before I have to spent another penny on it.

westcott
06-12-2007, 04:54 AM
I really can't stand the company behind HDMI.

I could not agree with you more. It is a bad design and poorly executed.

Content protection is a joke and will never work but yet the content providers keep trying anyway. I am just afraid that we will never see any of the blockbuster movies via HD DVD or BlueRay until the studios believe they can deliver HD content digitally in a secure manner and that may be never at this rate.

Doesn't anyone learn from history any more?

pixelthis
06-14-2007, 06:37 AM
THE problem is that content providers are spoiled, I am all for property rights but with todays tech its unreasonable to expect 100% protection of your stuff.
FOR A LONG TIME movie makers had natural protection, few could afford a projector in the home, now they are having to deal with what booksellers have had to content with.
In other words they still, like a hooker, want to "rent" but once you do copies will be out there, what gets my goat is that most of these content protection schemes are aimed at consumers, the smallest threat actually, while chinese and other far east pirates turn
out bogus copies like sausages