Bob Barker of Price is Right will be missed. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bob Barker of Price is Right will be missed.

Smokey
06-07-2007, 05:42 PM
I am not big fan daytime game shows, but watch Price is Right anytime it is on. The man got charm. He is retiring after 36 years and his last show will be on June 15th and planning to record it (that is if I had DVR or VCR :D).

Game show network used to run classic Price is Right (along with Match Game PM) after midnight and I tried not to miss the show. That was when he had black hair and command the show like a pro, and was so hilarious.

He will be missed in TV land.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/assorted/bobbarker.jpg

GMichael
06-08-2007, 06:36 AM
I liked him best on Truth or Consequences.
He deserves some time off.
Go fishin' Bob.

trollgirl
06-18-2007, 06:42 PM
I loved the way he kicked Adam Sandler's ass in "Happy Gilmore": "B*I*T*C*H!"

Laz

PeruvianSkies
06-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Despite growing up with the show (I think all people alive today grew up with the show) I think that Bob is past his prime and should have quit long ago.

Smokey
06-19-2007, 04:57 PM
I loved the way he kicked Adam Sandler's ass in "Happy Gilmore": "B*I*T*C*H!"

Laz

Couple of weeks ago before Barker retired, Sandler made a surprise visit to Price is Right show and they showed that clip where Barker called him a *itch. It was so hilarious as Barker did not know Sandler was going to pop in.

Despite growing up with the show (I think all people alive today grew up with the show) I think that Bob is past his prime and should have quit long ago.

I disagree. Good show hosts that can connect with audience are hard to come by. Like Leno or Conan trying to fill Johhny Carson shoes, but they can't. Some poeple just got that charm that is hard to replace.

PeruvianSkies
06-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Couple of weeks ago before Barker retired, Sandler made a surprise visit to Price is Right show and they showed that clip where Barker called him a *itch. It was so hilarious as Barker did not know Sandler was going to pop in.

I disagree. Good show hosts that can connect with audience are hard to come by. Like Leno or Conan trying to fill Johhny Carson shoes, but they can't. Some poeple just got that charm that is hard to replace.

I don't deny Bob Barker's charm and wit and he has been able to captivate audiences for generations, but my only point is that he should have quit years ago. Now he has left this 35-year legacy and that is what is hard to overcome.

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2007, 05:28 AM
What irritates me most is how the network milked his "retirement". I don't even know for sure if it's finally done with yet! :rolleyes5:

dean_martin
06-20-2007, 07:19 AM
One of the many microphones he used on the show went for over $19,000 on eBay recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130121981790&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:2

Feanor
06-20-2007, 07:30 AM
What irritates me most is how the network milked his "retirement". I don't even know for sure if it's finally done with yet! :rolleyes5:

Yeah, my company is milking my retirement. That is, I could retire on full pension, but since I'm not retired, I receive no pension, meanwhile I earn only my salary as usual. In effect the company has my service for less half the market value of my job.

Does that irritate you, Rich? Sure does irriate me; of course, I could retire and go work somewhere else if I cared to looking for another job. Same for Barker most likely.

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2007, 08:00 AM
Yeah, my company is milking my retirement. That is, I could retire on full pension, but since I'm not retired, I receive no pension, meanwhile I earn only my salary as usual. In effect the company has my service for less half the market value of my job.

Does that irritate you, Rich? Sure does irriate me; of course, I could retire and go work somewhere else if I cared to looking for another job. Same for Barker most likely.
Not sure of your intention here. I'm talking about how I was seeing CBS network commercial after commercial for weeks about this, all in an attempt for the network to boost ratings. I don't recall ever watching The Price is Right, or any other daytime TV for that matter because I work during the day. For the most part TV commercials are an insult to my intelligence, and thank Gawd for TiVo. Your situation doesn't irritate me in the slightest. The fact is, as long as I'm welcome here at TI, I don't see myself retiring at the legal age anyway, what with healthcare costs being what they are.

GMichael
06-20-2007, 08:08 AM

This does irritate me. They should increase your salary to match what it would have been plus your pension. If not, then pay you your pension while you find a part time somewhere else. But then again, I'll never get a pension. My savings and 401k will be all I'll get. I should have been a game show host instead.

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2007, 10:11 AM
But this thread was about Bob Barker's retirement. Not yours, not Mr. Feanor's. Others here injected their personal opinion about Bob and his show, so, why can't I?

GMichael
06-20-2007, 10:22 AM
But this thread was about Bob Barker's retirement. Not yours, not Mr. Feanor's. Others here injected their personal opinion about Bob and his show, so, why can't I?

Sure you can Tex. Go ahead. What was it you wanted to say?

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I think I already said it. CBS was milking Bob's retirement with their inceasant and irritating commercials. I guess I just have a deep disdain for network television, their greed, and the way they and advertisers in general think Americans are stupid enough to fall for their sales stunts.

[/rant mode off]