headphone reccomendation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : headphone reccomendation

roblob
06-07-2007, 01:12 PM
wow, sorry it's long, if you don't want to read the whole thing just skip the last line...

About a year ago I received the Bose Tri-Port headphones as a gift. I'd always thought that these headphones weren't as good as everyone was telling me, but having never use a pair of high-end headphones before I didn't really know. So about a month ago, I tried my friend's headphones that were Beyer Dynamic (don't know what model). These blew me away compared to the ones I had been using. I finally looked up reviews on the headphones I had and discovered that I was correct about these not being that good. But, I decided to keep them until I really needed a new pair of headphones. Luckily they have now broken and it's time for new ones. The first headphones I looked up were Beyer Dynamic, since that is what I had used before, but discovered there were many other brands with that type of quality. My friend had also been using an amp for his headphones and so I'm wondering about that also. But anyway, what would you guys recommend for headphones in the 100-150 dollar range?

audio_dude
06-07-2007, 01:27 PM
arg...bose... bleh.

Beyer Dynamic is pretty good.

look at AKG, Grado (SR-60 or 80), Audio-Technica, maybe Sennheiser

yeah, try headphone.com (http://www.headphone.com) they've got some nice reviews, and pricerange recommendations. they also sell at a pretty nice price.

roblob
06-07-2007, 01:39 PM
k thanks. what about using an amp, or is that just something you do with headphones once you've already invested a lot of money into the headphones them self?

yea, I know what you mean about bose now. At least I can say it wasn't me who bought them...

jrhymeammo
06-07-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm not going to bash on Grado cuz it never goes anywhere..

But as far as my taste goes, you can't do better than ATH-AD-700 for the money.

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/Headphones_Audiophile,+Hifi/product/Audio-Technica_ATH-AD700_Air_Headphones.html

ATH-AD500 is slightly cheaper, but 700 will offer better resolution. If you can save a bit more money, go with a ATH-AD1000. That's what I have and couldnt be happier unless i can afford to get a pair of Stax.

If you think Grado is bright and Senn to be boring, then go with AT.

JRA

elapsed
06-08-2007, 08:44 AM
The Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 absolutely blew me away, amazing headphones. My next headphones will be the ATH-AD1000. These are both an open design. Enjoy!

jrhymeammo
06-08-2007, 05:35 PM
The Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 absolutely blew me away, amazing headphones. My next headphones will be the ATH-AD1000. These are both an open design. Enjoy!
Good call on AT.

The difference between 900 and 1000 isnt that great, but I did noticed it when I auditioned several dozens of Cans side by side.
AT-ADs are the biggest sleeper in headphones. You gotta love the 3D Wing Support. I can wear them for hours. Good call on your sub as well considering our living environment.

JRA

emorphien
06-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Looks like I may be entering the headphone market shortly.

I need to find someplace to give the HD600s and ATH-AD900 & 1000s a listen.

Fergymunster
06-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Here's a good beginners amp called the Earphone amp at www.head-direct.com this amp should drive any headphone just fine.