Best speaker within budget [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best speaker within budget

miste100
06-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi folks,
I am looking for the best option for a set of speakers for home theater and also to hear music. The room dimensions are 18" x 12". They will be connected to :
Denon AVR 2807 receiver
Denon 1930CI DVD
Finally and more important the budget is around $2.5 - $3K

Thanks for any guidance on this.

bubbagump
06-07-2007, 12:39 PM
There's really no 'best option' but for my money and at your budget, KEF IQ9 mains, IQ6 center and IQ8 surrounds. If the speakers consume too much space for your liking, KEF sells smaller 'lifestyle' systems that are far better sounding to my ears than other similar systems. I don't work for or profit from KEF by the way. I do own a pair of IQ9's though continue to be impressed with their performance. You'll want to throw a sub into the mix. It might be a budget buster but I'd look at SVS and HSU for high performance, reasonably priced product. I have a pc ultra but it's waf factor is somewhere in the negative numbers. The HSU VTF-3 or VTF-2 would be a good way to go.

Mtbrider
06-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Check out the offerings at http://www.av123.com, particularly the x series, and read what owners say in the forum. I use the x-ls monitors in a second system and am very pleased with the sound. The company is very customer service oriented.

GMichael
06-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Check out the offerings at http://www.av123.com, particularly the x series, and read what owners say in the forum. I use the x-ls monitors in a second system and am very pleased with the sound. The company is very customer service oriented.

Ditto.
But I'm liking these Mini's more and more:
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=78.1

miste100
06-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks guys, have any of you try the PSB GT1s?..I just got that recommendation, and wanted to check in this audience...

PeruvianSkies
06-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys, have any of you try the PSB GT1s?..I just got that recommendation, and wanted to check in this audience...

While I have not heard them personally, there are several of my PSB pals on this site that have been ravin' about them...LuvinDaBlues and Anamorphic. I remember hearing one person comparing them to the Platinum's, which would be a huge achievement for the GT1's. I don't think you're gonna go wrong with anything from this PSB line.

flippo
06-09-2007, 04:54 AM
Check out the OMD series from Mirage.

Blue Meanie
06-09-2007, 05:30 AM
Hi folks,
I am looking for the best option for a set of speakers for home theater and also to hear music. The room dimensions are 18" x 12". .

Man, those are gonna have to be some awfully tiny speakers to fit in a room a foot and a half by 1 foot!:cornut:

Are you going 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1? How about 4 (or 5, or 6) Paradigm Reference Studio 20s, with matching center channel, and a nice SVS sub?

Jeff

Luvin Da Blues
06-09-2007, 05:33 AM

Just my 2 pesos as a PSB GT1 owner...I have absolutely no regrets and compared to my Infinitys it's like having a new music collection. I am hearing things that I didn't know were on the tracks or at least seamed way down in the mix and are now very forward. The sound stage, definition and presence are outstanding. Since they are front ported, they are a bit easier to place also.

If you have children in the house be aware that the high gloss lacquer finish will show every fingerprint and dust speck and scratch easy. I'm going to put a hard wax on them after my girlfriend dusted them with the wrong cloth and now they have fine scratches on them.

Take a listen, compare to speakers a bit more expensive and I'm thinkin' you will seriously consider them.:cornut: :cornut: :cornut:

emorphien
06-09-2007, 08:58 AM
'm going to put a hard wax on them after my girlfriend dusted them with the wrong cloth and now they have fine scratches on them.

Sounds like it's time for a new girlfriend!

Luvin Da Blues
06-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Sounds like it's time for a new girlfriend!

It was close for awhile:incazzato: but, Naw, I'll keep her around for a bit:ihih:

StevenSurprenant
06-13-2007, 05:06 AM
Ascend Acoustics

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/ascend-acoustics/floorstanding-speakers/MPL_7552_1594CRX.ASPX

miste100
06-15-2007, 07:33 AM
Guys, finally I got a good deal with B&W 683. Now I am looking for the surrounds and the subwoofer. . I was looking at the SVS Pci but there are a bit big for the room. Any recommendation will be appreciated

PeruvianSkies
06-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Guys, finally I got a good deal with B&W 683. Now I am looking for the surrounds and the subwoofer. . I was looking at the SVS Pci but there are a bit big for the room. Any recommendation will be appreciated

Perhaps Velodyne or PSB subs.

SlumpBuster
06-15-2007, 08:36 AM
IMNSHO, mail order is the only way to go for subs in the $500 to $2500 price range. Look at Axiom Audio, Rocket at AV123, HSU subs, and the Titanic Subwoofer kits at partsexpress.com

FWIW, I would go with the SVS or the Titanic from partsexpress. SVS uses the Titanic drivers. Either will give you the most bang for your buck.

Also, as far as the SVS being too big for the room, if you mean size wise - then okay. But if you mean sound wise - then there is no such thing as a sub too big for a room. You can always turn a sub down, but you can't always turn it up. Bigger is generally better when it comes to subs.

L.J.
06-15-2007, 11:38 AM
I'll 2nd the Titanic from PE.

GMichael
06-15-2007, 11:50 AM
I'll 2nd the Titanic from PE.

3rd......