Stan Ridgway coming to Philly... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stan Ridgway coming to Philly...

Swish
06-07-2007, 11:58 AM
...and doing Wall of Voodoo tunes along with his solo hits. I like that it's on a Friday night, and maybe Troy boy can get me some special consideration since he and Stan go way back. :) The best part is the venue. World Cafe Live is probably my favorite place to see a band. You can have dinner, some wine or nice micro-brew beer in a very new and comfortable setting. It can't be beat IMO.

Check it out <a href="http://tickets.worldcafelive.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=1957">here</a>.

G Swish

Jim Clark
06-07-2007, 12:30 PM
...and doing Wall of Voodoo tunes along with his solo hits. I like that it's on a Friday night, and maybe Troy boy can get me some special consideration since he and Stan go way back. :) The best part is the venue. World Cafe Live is probably my favorite place to see a band. You can have dinner, some wine or nice micro-brew beer in a very new and comfortable setting. It can't be beat IMO.

Check it out <a href="http://tickets.worldcafelive.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=1957">here</a>.

G Swish

Gramps, that's awesome! I'm pretty sure you'll have a blast. Saw WOV (Stan era) once and his solo show once as well. Then he pretty much punted KC of his tour stop list. I've got so many bootlegs of his shows that I feel like a regular anyway. Have fun and if you boot it, send me a copy : )

jc

Swish
06-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Gramps, that's awesome! I'm pretty sure you'll have a blast. Saw WOV (Stan era) once and his solo show once as well. Then he pretty much punted KC of his tour stop list. I've got so many bootlegs of his shows that I feel like a regular anyway. Have fun and if you boot it, send me a copy : )

jc

...but I hope to be. I don't think they would allow any taping there. The Downstairs cafe is a very modern, very clean and intimate setting, and they won't let you in with all sorts of gadgets...at least I don't think so. This place has a great bar along the back wall, which is elevated above the main floor, and table seating aside of the bar as well as on the main floor. I doubt it holds more than a few hundred people or so when they offer table seating, and that's most of the time. A recent show by Sloan had SRO tickets only, so we opted out. I just can't handle standing for 3 or 4 hours at a time. They told me it would hold about 1000 in SRO mode.

There are some really good pictures of the World Cafe <a href="http://www.worldcafelive.com/cafe/downstairs.html">here</a> if you want to get a good idea what it looks like. Be sure to click on the pictures to enlarge them.

G Swish

Jim Clark
06-07-2007, 12:58 PM
...but I hope to be. I don't think they would allow any taping there. The Downstairs cafe is a very modern, very clean and intimate setting, and they won't let you in with all sorts of gadgets...at least I don't think so. This place has a great bar along the back wall, which is elevated above the main floor, and table seating aside of the bar as well as on the main floor. I doubt it holds more than a few hundred people or so when they offer table seating, and that's most of the time. A recent show by Sloan had SRO tickets only, so we opted out. I just can't handle standing for 3 or 4 hours at a time. They told me it would hold about 1000 in SRO mode.

There are some really good pictures of the World Cafe <a href="http://www.worldcafelive.com/cafe/downstairs.html">here</a> if you want to get a good idea what it looks like. Be sure to click on the pictures to enlarge them.

G Swish

Yep you'll have some fun. OH, and most don't allow taping - that's why they're called bootlegs! You got to be stealthy baby.

Have fun.

jc

Swish
06-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Yep you'll have some fun. OH, and most don't allow taping - that's why they're called bootlegs! You got to be stealthy baby.

Have fun.

jc

...I was never into that kind of thing. The sound quality always sucks, and it seems like a lot of trouble for the results.

G Swish

Jim Clark
06-07-2007, 01:48 PM
...I was never into that kind of thing. The sound quality always sucks, and it seems like a lot of trouble for the results.

G Swish

I'll be the first too admit that I have several hundred that suck sound quality wise. Then I have several hundred that you'd be floored by. Quality is dependent on any number of factors but when it's right, it's allllright.

When I get back from vacation I need to go through and make up a bootleg comp of the best sounding discs I have. Maybe focus on RR friendly bands which should give me a lot of latitude.

Anyway, hope you can make the show and I'll quit hijacking it.

jc

Troy
06-07-2007, 03:14 PM
I wonder how big the band is? The last time I saw him it was just him on acoustic guitar and harmonica, his wife on keys and another guy on a second acoustic guitar. Too low key troubador for my taste, especially compared to the big, snarling electric bands he used to tour with.

Still, he's a funny guy who knows how to entertain an audience with his goofy self-depricating manner.

You'll have fun, say hi for me.

Swish
06-08-2007, 04:42 AM
I wonder how big the band is? The last time I saw him it was just him on acoustic guitar and harmonica, his wife on keys and another guy on a second acoustic guitar. Too low key troubador for my taste, especially compared to the big, snarling electric bands he used to tour with.

Still, he's a funny guy who knows how to entertain an audience with his goofy self-depricating manner.

You'll have fun, say hi for me.

...there's a blurb that describes the show; "2007 marks the 25th anniversary of Wall Of Voodoo's "Call Of The West" album. To mark the occasion, Ridgway and his band will be performing key songs and music from the classic 80's albums as well as selections from his many solo recordings. A celebration in song, story and spoken word."

I guess it will contain some elements of the show you saw, along with the full band on some tunes, so it should be interesting. A friend of my best riend is a member of WXPN, the public radio station that is partnered with the World Cafe venue, and members get first shot at tickets to all their shows. He's a big fan of Stan and got tickets for 6 of us, so looks like I'll be there on August 3rd.

Maybe I should get him to sign my 'Holiday in Dirt' cd and mention that I sort of know you.
Or maybe not.

G Swish

Troy
06-08-2007, 09:02 AM
...there's a blurb that describes the show; "2007 marks the 25th anniversary of Wall Of Voodoo's "Call Of The West" album. To mark the occasion, Ridgway and his band will be performing key songs and music from the classic 80's albums as well as selections from his many solo recordings. A celebration in song, story and spoken word."

I guess it will contain some elements of the show you saw, along with the full band on some tunes, so it should be interesting. A friend of my best riend is a member of WXPN, the public radio station that is partnered with the World Cafe venue, and members get first shot at tickets to all their shows. He's a big fan of Stan and got tickets for 6 of us, so looks like I'll be there on August 3rd.

Maybe I should get him to sign my 'Holiday in Dirt' cd and mention that I sort of know you.
Or maybe not.

G Swish

I did read that. It's pretty non-commital. Him, his wife and one acoustic sideman was also called "a band" when I saw him last year.

Regardless, he's a seasoned veteran performer who knows how to entertain an audience. It'll be fun.

Yeah, he always does the meet and greet after the show. If you bring that CD and tell him you know me he will respond, I'm sure. Preferential treatment? Uh, no. But you will both smile.

Swish
06-10-2007, 12:59 PM
I did read that. It's pretty non-commital. Him, his wife and one acoustic sideman was also called "a band" when I saw him last year.

Regardless, he's a seasoned veteran performer who knows how to entertain an audience. It'll be fun.

Yeah, he always does the meet and greet after the show. If you bring that CD and tell him you know me he will respond, I'm sure. Preferential treatment? Uh, no. But you will both smile.

...on it as well to add to the provenance? Let's see if I have the chance to get his first though, deal? I'll send ya' something special in exchange...along with a post paid return envelope. :o

G Swish

Troy
06-11-2007, 06:13 AM
...on it as well to add to the provenance? Let's see if I have the chance to get his first though, deal? I'll send ya' something special in exchange...along with a post paid return envelope. :o

G Swish

Yeah, sure. Thanks. Troy