Favorite "trippy" bands/recordings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "trippy" bands/recordings

Demetrio
06-07-2007, 03:48 AM
What sort of stuff make you "trip"?

Among my favorites, I would mention early Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Iona, Robert Rich, Steve Roach, Bartz, Michael Brook, Michael Shrieve, Nils Petter Molvaer, Bark Psychosis, Cipher, Theo Travis, Hidria Spacefolk, Amethystium, Jan Garbarek and Øystein Sevåg.

I'm in search for more of this stuff, so how about your favorites & suggestions?

Cheers,
Demetrio.

Rich-n-Texas
06-07-2007, 04:52 AM
What sort of stuff make you "trip"?

Purple microdot, four-way blotter, peyote buttons....
Ooops!!! :yikes: Ummm, that was a long time ago! :blush2:

Jimi Hendrix of course, some of the old Jefferson Airplane, Procol Harem, Pink Floyd... That's all I can remember. :biggrin5:

Among my favorites, I would mention early Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Iona, Robert Rich, Steve Roach, Bartz, Michael Brook, Michael Shrieve, Nils Petter Molvaer, Bark Psychosis, Cipher, Theo Travis, Hidria Spacefolk, Amethystium, Jan Garbarek and Øystein Sevåg.

I'm in search for more of this stuff, so how about your favorites & suggestions?

Cheers,
Demetrio.
Where did you say you're from? :wink5:

Duds
06-07-2007, 05:02 AM
Along with Porcupine Tree and Ozric Tentacles, I would add

Kyuss
Monster Magnet (the entire Tab cd is one big trip)
Pink Floyd
Novadriver
Hawkwind
Tool is trippy at times
Atomic *****wax
Boris
Isis
Fu Manchu
Nebula
desert sessions
Red Sparowes

ForeverAutumn
06-07-2007, 05:36 AM
I don't lay back and get trippy like I used to. But in my days of dark rooms and lit candles, no-one could make me trip like early PF. I'd have to put Kansas on my trippy list too.

Porcupine Tree is definately trippy and Kyuss, although a little heavy, is a good call also.

unleasHell
06-07-2007, 07:11 AM
I love TRIPPEN'...

Have you heard any of these guys:

Zone Six: many CD's out
Salvatore: many CD's out (Simular to NEU)
Niwa: Harmony 1 & 2
Lamp of the Universe : I think you have at least one Cd, but they have 3 out..
Magyar Posse: 3 CDs out (see Aquarius below)

we should do some CD-r trading...

This is a great place to find stuff (including Salvatore and Niwa) and they have sound clips too:
http://www.aquariusrecords.org/

And lastly check out this MySpace Site: http://www.myspace.com/sulatronrecords

-Jar-
06-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Painkiller - EXECUTION GROUND - a frightful combination of dub, thrash and jazz.. trippy and nightmare inducing at the same time. Bill Laswell, John Zorn and Mick Harris.

Blind Idiot God - CYCLOTRON - Hard to believe this album is over 10 years old, what ever happened to these guys? A power trio that alternates lightning fast prog-thrash jams and psychic dub reggae. Still one of my all time favorite albums. Produced by... Bill Laswell.

This Mortal Coil - BLOOD - I don't play this one straight through as much as I used to, but it's a real neat trip of you do. A journey through about a dozen moods swinging back and forth and about as many different styles as well. Vocals eminate from the background and disappear, instruments fade in and out, little snippets of songs that never quite get going, then show up later.. it does have some outstanding individual moments, but it's best appreciated in one listen. One of my favorite 4AD releases.

Aswad - A NEW CHAPTER OF DUB - simply one of the best pure dub reggae productions of all time. If you only have room for one dub album, I'd suggest this one.

Coil - LOVE'S SECRET DOMAIN - I'm not sure what alien recording process they used to make this album, but it has a sheen and depth like no other album in my collection. Every sound has a shine and almost holographic feel to it. Also, it's still, to this day, almost 17 years later, one of the best electronica albums of all time.

-jar

-Jar-
06-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Califone is pretty darn trippy if you're in the right mood.

There was a song I heard once on one of Troy's comps by The Mermen.. it was trippy as hell..