Question about Paradigm PDR 12 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Paradigm PDR 12

bbarber6
02-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Anyone who owns a pdr 12 can help. Five days ago, I purchased a new PDR 12, hooked it up and noticed that there was a slight rattle coming from it. I kept it thinking that it might go away, but it persisted. Today I returned it and exchanged it for a new one, but the new one also has the same rattle. Do all pdr 12's do this? Or did i just pick out to bad pdr's?

This Guy
02-20-2004, 10:10 PM
it's probably your room. Do you have wood floors or a cabinet of some sort nearby? I doubt it's the sub that is making this noise.

-Joey

Arch
02-20-2004, 10:58 PM
I own the smaller PDR-10 and initially I had the same problem. Turns out it was the uneven hardwood floor in my living room that dosen't allow the woofer to sit properly on the floor. I have to make minor shifts in the woofer position, including rotating the woofer, before I was happy with it. No problems since then.

bbarber6
02-21-2004, 08:08 PM
The sub sits on carpet above a cement floor, so i don't think the floor is the problem. One of my friends suggested putting some sound dampening material around the back plate of the sub. I'm going to let the sub get broken in before i do anything though.

This Guy
02-21-2004, 08:46 PM
the subs not gonna break in. It will no sound any different in a month or ever unless something goes wrong. It's your ears excepting the sound of the sub. Check the subs amp, make sure the screws are all tight. Find out exactly where the sound is coming from (the sub driver, box, amp, or even the feet.)

-Joey

bbarber6
02-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Turns out the problem was the ports knocking on the inside of the cabinet. So I put a little foam between the ports and the cabinet and the rattle is gone! It sounds a million times better now :)

This Guy
02-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Sweet. But why would they be knocking against the cabinet. I'd still contact Paradigm or your store you bought it from so they know that their speakers are doing this.