Paradigm Monitor. 7 v.5 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Monitor. 7 v.5

ATR72
06-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Ok, I know I'm doing this all wrong. But here's my story for all to read. It started out with a low budget system and a purchase of a reconditioned Harmon Kardon 3380 from the factory.(80watts). Figuring on the majority of budget going for speakers. Well with diligent research I was going to purchase Paradigms mini monitor, untill I heard the monitor 7's. I have not even recieved the the reciever yet (no pun intended) And here I sit with my new Monitor 7's. Well needless to say I have way blown my budget. Question: Will this reciever give satisfactory results untill the budget grows? I see an amp in my future. My poor wife.

SlumpBuster
06-04-2007, 03:59 PM
You're not doing it wrong at all. In fact you are doing very well, not counting the blown budget. The H/K reciever is very good and will be a great match for the Monitor 7s. You don't worry about it being under powered for several reasons. First, the H/K is a stereo reciever, not a multi-channel AVR. Generally, that is a good thing because your not spending money on parts you don't need. Second, the Monitors are very efficient, which means it will get too loud for comfortable listening in most rooms well before you hit 80 watts.

Actually, I would add a subwoofer before I added an amp. You will have to spend $500 on an amp on ebay or audiogon.com before you get an appreciable difference with over the H/K. On the other hand, you can get one hell of a sub for $500.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-762

If you are intent on an amp, I would look at 1980s vintage Yamaha, Kenwood, Technics separates as well as 1990s Adcom, Rotel, Arcam, Acurus. All used all on ebay.

ATR72
06-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm not exactly a wipper snapper, but I am new at this game. How about a suggestion for an low budget good qaulity cd player. Ssssssssssshhhhhh my wife is coming. Thanks again for your replies.

anamorphic96
06-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Marantz CD5001 or the NAD C525BEE are probably your best bet. They both retail for 300 but can usually be had for less.

Nice choice in speakers. The HK should be a nice fit until you can step up.

Cheers

ATR72
06-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks, All I can do at the moment is look at them. If I humm into the vent maybe I can get an idea what they will sound like.

brulaha
06-05-2007, 05:30 AM
I'd go for the amp prior to the sub woofer if you're only doing stereo listening with the Monitor 7 (I'll restate WITH THE MONITOR 7, not necessarily true with smaller speakers). Without an LFE track, I've found that the amp makes the bigger difference in stereo listening. Absolutely not true with home theater, but with stereo listening yes. Just as an aside, i have the paradigm studio 60 which I believe is identical to the monitor seven in a lot of respects. When i switched over a dedicated amp, i was blown away with the improvement (for stereo listening). Granted, it was a very expensive amp, but i think a used Rotel could provide similar results.

This will certainly subjective to what kind of music you listen to, but for the vast majority, I think it holds true.

Good choice of speaker in my opinion. Great value for the dollar.