Meddle is a great record... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Meddle is a great record...

Rae
06-03-2007, 08:10 PM
...and is probably my favorite Pink Floyd album. It would be easy to shoot for something more obscure (and Obscured by Clouds is also right up there) or to go the opposite direction and point to one of their huge, definitive hits like Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, or The Wall, but nothing can really touch this one for me. The last four songs on the first side are about the most pitch-perfect run of laid-back, blissed-out jamming that I'm personally acquainted with, and if the darker, trippier Floyd is yr thing, well, you've got "One of These Days I'm Going to Cut You Into Little Pieces" and the entirety of Side Two in "Echoes". I once heard Low cover "Fearless" in an intimate in-store performance at the legendary (and now sadly departed) Let It Be records, and it really made me appreciate the fragile beauty of the song, but even a cover as delicate and reverent as theirs can never replicate the stunning dissolve into distant soccer chants that works so surreally well here.

You guys like this one?

~Rae

unleasHell
06-03-2007, 09:33 PM
me too, I love Meddle and if you love Echoes, hopefully you know of Can and their "Future Days" release as it has a 20:00-ish (side long) track that is in that very same vein...

Rae
06-03-2007, 09:58 PM
me too, I love Meddle and if you love Echoes, hopefully you know of Can and their "Future Days" release as it has a 20:00-ish (side long) track that is in that very same vein...

Ohh, I am definitely down with The Can, although I haven't gotten to Future Days yet. I'm working my way through their catalog chronologically at a pace of about one LP every six months or so.

~Rae

Swish
06-04-2007, 04:56 AM
Ohh, I am definitely down with The Can, although I haven't gotten to Future Days yet. I'm working my way through their catalog chronologically at a pace of about one LP every six months or so.

~Rae
...of years ago? I prolly sent it out to about 10 or 15 others on the board, but I sure don't recall the recipients. I believe it was performed at Royal Albert Hall in the early 70s and recorded by a radio station, although the details elude me right now. If you're interested, let me know and I'll see if I can dig it up.

G Swish

ForeverAutumn
06-04-2007, 05:40 AM
My favourite PF CD bounces back and forth between Meddle and WYWH, depending on my mood at the time that I'm asked the question.

IMO, Shine On... and Welcome to the Machine are two of the best pieces of rock music ever written. But I also just love the ambience of Meddle.

In case anyone cares, I think that The Wall is their worst CD, musically. There is some great stuff on there. And it works well as a concept album. But separate the songs and there's an awful lot of crap there IMHO.

GMichael
06-04-2007, 05:41 AM
I do like Meddle but prefer Uma Gumma.

Ex Lion Tamer
06-04-2007, 07:30 AM
"Fearless" is my favorite Pink Floyd song...actually reminds me a little of a Wire song; "Used to" ("does the pain remain when the head is turned and the body walks away, You Used to know") - same laid back feel and similar melodies.

Wish You Were Here is probably my favorite over all, but Meddle is definitely close behind.

Rich-n-Texas
06-04-2007, 08:05 AM
...and is probably my favorite Pink Floyd album. It would be easy to shoot for something more obscure (and Obscured by Clouds is also right up there) or to go the opposite direction and point to one of their huge, definitive hits like Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, or The Wall, but nothing can really touch this one for me. The last four songs on the first side are about the most pitch-perfect run of laid-back, blissed-out jamming that I'm personally acquainted with, and if the darker, trippier Floyd is yr thing, well, you've got "One of These Days I'm Going to Cut You Into Little Pieces" and the entirety of Side Two in "Echoes". I once heard Low cover "Fearless" in an intimate in-store performance at the legendary (and now sadly departed) Let It Be records, and it really made me appreciate the fragile beauty of the song, but even a cover as delicate and reverent as theirs can never replicate the stunning dissolve into distant soccer chants that works so surreally well here.

You guys like this one?

~Rae

Oh absolutely! I sometimes loose patience with Echoes, but those four you speak of are songs that tuned me into Pink Floyd's music way back in the early 70's and have kept them on my list of all time favorite bands.

Ya know, I was trying to think of ways to describe PF's style while listening to the just purchased Division Bell CD over the weekend, and I think you pretty well descibed my vision of them... "darker, trippier", head music also comes to mind. When they did One of These Days live on the Pulse DVD, it just blew my mind! If you're a Pink Floyd fan and don't have this concert DVD in your collection then you just don't know what you're missing. What I wouldn't have given to have been at THAT show! :23: :eek6:

3-LockBox
06-04-2007, 08:45 AM
I just posted something about this the other day...

Yes, it is a good album, and comparitively speaking, a much underappreciated album, though considering the band's 70s output, understandibly so. I tend to like Atom Heart Mother very much as well.

unleasHell
06-04-2007, 09:43 AM
I did not like horns back in the 70's, especially in rock / prog bands, in fact, I hated horns (sax, etc, althought flutes were cool) still don't care to much for horns today, as I recall Atom Heart Mother had a big horn section on it and I don't think I even have the LP anymore...

3-LockBox
06-04-2007, 09:49 AM
althought flutes were cool

Well hell, you couldn't like prog at all if you didn't like flutes!

;)

unleasHell
06-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Well hell, you couldn't like prog at all if you didn't like flutes!

;)
yeah or TULL...(LOL)

Jim Clark
06-04-2007, 09:50 AM
freaky good call on that one Rae. I like Meddle an awful lot, although not my fave, it's in the top 2! Just last month I found a vinyl copy in reasonable shape for a couple of bucks. Have not cleaned it up yet, but I'll get around to it.

Years ago, a guy who was around for a short while offered to burn me a MFSL copy which was awesome. Sadly, the guy didn't know much about ripping and burning CDs so there were a bunch of skips throughout. Someday I'll get a clean copy of that too.

FWIW, Final Cut is my absolutely bestest most favoritest Pink Floyd of all time.

jc

3-LockBox
06-04-2007, 10:00 AM
FWIW, Final Cut is my absolutely bestest most favoritest Pink Floyd of all time.

Really?

Its sounds so much like a Roger Waters album to me. It's OK, but it serves as a reminder of why Pink Floyd broke up. No way was this a band effort.

ForeverAutumn
06-04-2007, 10:09 AM

jc

I'm a fan of this CD too. Although I know a lot of PF fans who don't like it for the reason that 3LB mentions. But if that's how you feel then you couldn't possibly like The Wall either. Gilmour has a few song credits on that disk, but its primarily Waters baby.

The Gunners Dream and The Fletcher Memorial Home are awesome songs.

3-LockBox
06-04-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm a fan of this CD too. Although I know a lot of PF fans who don't like it for the reason that 3LB mentions. But if that's how you feel then you couldn't possibly like The Wall either. Gilmour has a few song credits on that disk, but its primarily Waters baby.

I used to be a fan of The Wall, but rarely listen to it anymore, and I rank it way down on the list of PF albums. I grew up on Floyd, since my older brother was a fan, there was always some PF being played. The Wall was my first sit down and listen album experience for Floyd, but as soon as I listened to DSOTM, The Wall took 2nd place, then third, then fourth, with each subsequent new album listen.

unleasHell
06-04-2007, 01:26 PM
with all due respects, I was on my way out of prog when The Wall came out and never really liked it, in fact I have a US LP of it that has only been played twice, (if anyone is interested in buying it) and I picked up a used Fianl Cut years after it's release and found it to be by far the worst PF ever. I did get and liked the Division Bell somewhat...

3-LockBox
06-04-2007, 01:34 PM
with all due respects, I was on my way out of prog when The Wall came out and never really liked it, in fact I have a US LP of it that has only been played twice, (if anyone is interested in buying it) and I picked up a used Fianl Cut years after it's release and found it to be by far the worst PF ever. I did get and liked the Division Bell somewhat...

I like both Division Bell and Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Yes, I'd prefer PF w/ Waters, but only if it sounded similar to MLoR or better. The Final Cut was just that.

GMichael
06-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I picked up a used Fianl Cut years after it's release and found it to be by far the worst PF ever....

What? You don't like depressing music that makes you want to curl up on the floor of a dirty bathroom and cry for a week?

Rich-n-Texas
06-04-2007, 02:09 PM
What? You don't like depressing music that makes you want to curl up on the floor of a dirty bathroom and cry for a week?

Can you say... Sid Barrett? :crazy: :cryin: :sad:

Hyfi
06-04-2007, 02:36 PM
...of years ago? I prolly sent it out to about 10 or 15 others on the board, but I sure don't recall the recipients. I believe it was performed at Royal Albert Hall in the early 70s and recorded by a radio station, although the details elude me right now. If you're interested, let me know and I'll see if I can dig it up.

G Swish

Did you mean This one?

Pink Floyd Live at the Paris Theater in London

1. Embryo
2. Atom Heart Mother
3. Green Is The Color
4. One Of These Days
5. What If?
6. Echos

I owned Meddle before I owned any other PF album. Lucky for me I'm the youngest of 5 and my brothers all introduced me to the "Good Stuff".

Seamus is a good howling track that nobody mentioned but every track on the disk is good. One of those rare disks that all tracks are good.

Hyfi

ForeverAutumn
06-04-2007, 02:54 PM
One of those rare disks that all tracks are good.

Hyfi

You're right. But that was a lot easier to do when you only had 20 minutes a side.

Troy
06-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Echoes is a truly sublime mix of doomy art rock and classical structure. It's one of Pink Floyd's greatest moments. An excellent progrock gateway piece. I still play the crap out of it. Played at high volume, it scares the snot out the trick ot treaters on Halloween.

I find parts of side to be a little folky for my taste, though the melody of "Fearless" is really pretty. I still have to always skip "Seamus", sorry.

unleasHell
06-04-2007, 07:19 PM

lol, well first off, I don't cry, but if I want some heavy gloom, that is what Joy Division is for...

brulaha
06-05-2007, 05:22 AM
Just curious....but no one mentioned the film soundtrack More, which is completely done by PF. I always enjoyed this little jewel. It's not their best, but it's really good.

jrhymeammo
06-07-2007, 08:26 PM

~Rae
Rae Ray,

Quick Question....

WHERE ARE YOU GETTING CAN on LP? I MUST KNOW!

I gave up looking for CAN on LP, but if I can get them on the web somewhere, I would very much like to know where.

CAN on SACD is pretty good. Really good compared to original CDs. They have most on them reissued except for Cannibolisms... I dont get it...

I will say Amused the Death is one of my facorite CDs of all time along with P&C of H and the Final Cut.
To get back to the original topic, Meddle is much better album compared to others in the 70s

Here is another reason why Meddle is great. I've only done this 2, 3 times.

Playing Echo with 2001 Space Oddessy. I would need to call my friend to refresh my memory, but it work great. And yes, it really works together. I've been sober for a while though......

Rae
06-09-2007, 07:02 AM
WHERE ARE YOU GETTING CAN on LP? I MUST KNOW!

Hmm... I've been buying locally at Treehouse records. They may be imports, but they've usually been in the $14.99-16.99 range... they're definitely reissues. Don't have them in front of me or I could give you a little more information...

Maybe this should be the subject of another thread, but where are you buying any vinyl at all online? Aside from the obvious stuff like eBay, musicstack, and GEMM, where I find the prices are usually disproportionately padded (everyone wants to charge you $10 s&h on an LP), I have only had streaky luck. A few brick-and-mortar record stores like Reckless in Chicago and Record Collector in Iowa City are online and have much fairer prices, but you pretty much have to get lucky if you're looking for something in particular... I've pretty much sworn off buying vinyl online for the most part, other than ordering new stuff directly from label sites.

~Rae

jrhymeammo
06-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks Rae,

I will look for it right after this post. I'm not too picky about getting original pressings anymore.

Look for POst #6 by BrandonH on da link below.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=15834&highlight=records+music+web

I usually buy from Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct, and SandBoxAutomatic(UnderGnd/Indy Hiphop needs).

But if possible, I prefer to support local stores or any other non-virtual store fronts. I bought 5 new LP today for $60 bucks today, including.

Jim O'Rourke - Eureka

I dont know anything about this guy/group or whatever it may be.
I just had to get it for the cover.

http://kimagure-life.up.seesaa.net/image/jim.jpg

Seriously, how "great" is this cover?

Thanks again for info.

JRA

Swish
06-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Did you mean This one?

Pink Floyd Live at the Paris Theater in London

1. Embryo
2. Atom Heart Mother
3. Green Is The Color
4. One Of These Days
5. What If?
6. Echos

I owned Meddle before I owned any other PF album. Lucky for me I'm the youngest of 5 and my brothers all introduced me to the "Good Stuff".

Seamus is a good howling track that nobody mentioned but every track on the disk is good. One of those rare disks that all tracks are good.

Hyfi

...and that's why you know it so well. I haven't listened to it in years, but I know that track list is about right. I didn't dig it out since Rae didn't respond, so he either missed it, has it, or doesn't want it.

Thanks,
G Swish

jrhymeammo
06-10-2007, 01:56 PM
...he

what.....?
:idea:

bobsticks
06-10-2007, 02:17 PM
what.....?
:idea:

Yeah, Jayra, sorry to ruin your internet fantasy about hot chicks that have a thing for obscure music, but Rae is a guy...

Swish
06-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Yeah, Jayra, sorry to ruin your internet fantasy about hot chicks that have a thing for obscure music, but Rae is a guy...

That was priceless.

G Swish

P.S. We do have a few 'chicks' on here that have a thing for obscure music, but I'm not getting into labels such as 'hot' and all since that will only lead to trouble.

jrhymeammo
06-10-2007, 04:15 PM

Very well. I guess that's what I get for posing on the cover of Eureka album.
From this point on, the bunny will be replaced by bobsticks.

Have I ever told a story about Taylor Hanson? No one ever believed me after an episode of the Family Guy. Not that I ever need to convice people that I had hots for TH. Hmmm... this has taken an interesting turn.

JRA

Rae
06-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the links, JRA. That Acoustic Sounds site looks like a good place to get some import-only stuff.

Also, that Jim O'Rourke disc is good stuff... surprised you've never heard of him. Aside from his solo stuff, he cut his teeth in the seminal indie band Gastr del Sol and later (and I think still currently) became a full-time member of Sonic Youth. He's also done collaborative stuff with all sorts of jazz, noise, and experimental artists like Derek Bailey and Faust... I saw him once as part of the Dream Aktion Unit with Thurston Moore, Chris Corsano, and Paul Flaherty, and it was pretty incredible. I know you're into jazz-- not sure if yr tastes run to the avant garde at all, but if so, you'd do well to explore his catalog. This particular release is pretty solidly in the experimental rock vein, but still good.

Oh, and Swish, I didn't mean to snub you... I think I'm pretty set on the Pink Floyd that I have, though. I'm not in a Floyd mood all that often anymore and I have plenty to reach for when I am in any case.

And JRA, it's Rae like in Raekwon the Chef. Thought you would've been hip to that... "react so thick, I'm fat, and yo / Rae came blowin' and blew off ya headphones / black rap from yo Cali to Texas / smoother than a Lexus, now's my turn to wreck this."

~Rae

jrhymeammo
06-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks Rae.

I dont like the word avant garde, cuz it always lead to bi-polar chicks after raves. I feel fried just thinking about it.

Now I can't decide whether to spin Only Built for Cuban Linx or Faust IV. Just keep your eyes open for Cuban Linx Vol. 2.

JRA

Rae
06-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Maybe 'experimental' is a better term than 'avant garde'... I'm talking about everything from free jazz like Ornette Coleman and Cecil Taylor to guys like Derek Bailey, Anthony Braxton, or any of the Nurse With Wound list stuff.

~Rae