Buckethead's a psycho, Buckethead's a psycho, la-lala-lala... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Buckethead's a psycho, Buckethead's a psycho, la-lala-lala...

Dusty Chalk
11-19-2003, 08:30 PM
JIC I was not the last to know, Buckethead has a new album out -- Bucketheadland 2. It's one of his best yet. Every other track is either a spoken-word piece by a guest:

Remember that things are not always as they seem.
Sometimes balloons can spell your doom,
but a gory headstump can mean good luck.

...or a faux-ballad:

I like to play with dead bodies,
I like to play with dead bodies,
Would you like to play too?
I'd like to play with you.

The crux of the album, of course, is mostly just whacked out instrumental metal. Think Joe Satriani at his most speed-metal meets The ****ing Champs.

If I have any criticisms of this album, is that it's almost too focused -- he really wears his love of horror movies on his sleeve, there's only tangential references to chicken coops and giant robots.

But those of us who love Buckethead know whut's going on.

Where's the freakin' thumbs-up icon.

richmon
11-20-2003, 12:48 PM
The bucket is one strange ranger, I only have 'COLMA' which I like alot, afraid his shred style stuff would make my head explode ala Yngie Malmulstein.
You wouldn't happen to have the 'Octave of the holy innocents' album he did with Micheal Shrieve and Jonas somebody would you? Big Shrieve fan here, that album is impossible to find.

Hyfi
12-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Doesn't seem that there are many Buckethead fans up in here. I recently started getting into some of his music. Out of 4 disks, I like 2.5 of them. Not into the speed metal thing he likes to do but more into the slower more tasteful goodies like Population Override. I am loving that one. I also like Electric Tears and the tasteful half of Crime Slunk Scene like Soothsayer. The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock is more of the metal direction and I can listen to it, still prefer the dreamy stuff. Electric Tears sort of reminds me of an electric version of some of Craig Chaquico solo works.

So what other Buckethead disks would fit my liking? He sure has one hell of an extensive library of releases.

bobsticks
12-09-2008, 03:28 PM
So what other Buckethead disks would fit my liking? He sure has one hell of an extensive library of releases.

"Enter The Chicken" and "Monsters and Robots".

Troy
12-09-2008, 04:37 PM
If you like the slower stuff, try Colma.

Finch Platte
12-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Waddever happened to ol' Dusty? :sad:

Hyfi
12-09-2008, 07:06 PM

Thanks, I will look for these and Troy's Colma suggestion next. I do like the slower stuff.

Hyfi
01-02-2009, 09:21 AM

Enter the Chicken starts out with some real screaming metal...morphes into some odd female vocal tracks and ends up with the very last track along the lines of what I am looking for. Still trying to get a complete download of Monsters and Robots.

Hyfi
01-02-2009, 09:23 AM
If you like the slower stuff, try Colma.

Yes, Colma was right on what I was looking for.

Side note: Praxis Tennessee 2004 Live is killer!
Laswell on Bass
Brain on Drums
Buckets on Guitar
Bernie Worley on Keys (Parlament Funkadelic)

Digging this one for sure.

Hyfi
01-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Waddever happened to ol' Dusty? :sad:

Rubbed out?
Erased from Memory?

Lets take a poll.

Davey
01-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Whatever happened to Dusty Chalk, anyway? I wonder if his CD collection ever broke the one million mark? Talk about a strange and eclectic taste in music, or maybe the word music is a bit too confining for some of that alien soundware he was most fond of :)

If nothing else, we have had some interesting people spend time here over the years. Happy New Year, wherever you are nowadays Peter aka Dusty Chalk!

Edit:
Waddever happened to ol' Dusty?
Note to self: Make new year's resolution to read threads before posting.

Swish
01-03-2009, 04:33 AM
Whatever happened to Dusty Chalk, anyway? I wonder if his CD collection ever broke the one million mark? Talk about a strange and eclectic taste in music, or maybe the word music is a bit too confining for some of that alien soundware he was most fond of :)

If nothing else, we have had some interesting people spend time here over the years. Happy New Year, wherever you are nowadays Peter aka Dusty Chalk!

Edit:
Note to self: Make new year's resolution to read threads before posting.

...who didn't like any instruments because guitar, bass and drums in his music. Maybe it was just any brass instruments that he didn't like to hear in any rock music. Or was that someone else? Am I really Swish? Is this 2009? Somebody get me another IPA.

Davey
01-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Eclectic? Really? I thought he was the very same guy.....who didn't like any instruments because guitar, bass and drums in his music.

Because? It'd be easier to respond if your comment made sense, but I guess if the IPA is already flowing heavy at 4.33 AM my time, then it's probably too much to ask. Already starting to get ready for the big game Sunday afternoon, eh? You're my new idol, Swish Daddy :rolleyes:

Interpreted both ways, DC obviously loved guitar, as evidenced by the thread, but he (sometimes) played synth in a band and loved all the prog bands of old that used a lot of synth in their music. Based on some of the bands he talked about that I actually recognized, his biggest love might've been industrial music ala Skinny Puppy, but he seemed to like almost everything, which I sometimes kidded him about, from slo-core to industrial to dance pop to prog to shoegaze to classical. We had a fairly wide space rock overlap in our tastes, and liked a lot of the same dream pop and drone rock stuff (though I don't think he ever made it over to my side on the Yo La Tengo-type drone-pop, or in the Califone-type folk-blues-junkyard country where I spend a lot of time, or that whole Richard Buckner-type dusky-voiced dark-country whiskey-soaked singer-songwriter-poet-troubadour game).

bobsticks
01-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Interpreted both ways, DC obviously loved guitar, as evidenced by the thread, but he (sometimes) played synth in a band and loved all the prog bands of old that used a lot of synth in their music. Based on some of the bands he talked about that I actually recognized, his biggest love might've been industrial music ala Skinny Puppy, but he seemed to like almost everything, which I sometimes kidded him about, from slo-core to industrial to dance pop to prog to shoegaze to classical. We had a fairly wide space rock overlap in our tastes, and liked a lot of the same dream pop and drone rock stuff (though I don't think he ever made it over to my side on the Yo La Tengo-type drone-pop, or in the Califone-type folk-blues-junkyard country where I spend a lot of time, or that whole Richard Buckner-type dusky-voiced dark-country whiskey-soaked singer-songwriter-poet-troubadour game).

All this is true, making him one of the more interesting characters 'round these parts.

I miss his contributions.

Swish
01-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Because? It'd be easier to respond if your comment made sense, but I guess if the IPA is already flowing heavy at 4.33 AM my time, then it's probably too much to ask. Already starting to get ready for the big game Sunday afternoon, eh? You're my new idol, Swish Daddy :rolleyes:

Interpreted both ways, DC obviously loved guitar, as evidenced by the thread, but he (sometimes) played synth in a band and loved all the prog bands of old that used a lot of synth in their music. Based on some of the bands he talked about that I actually recognized, his biggest love might've been industrial music ala Skinny Puppy, but he seemed to like almost everything, which I sometimes kidded him about, from slo-core to industrial to dance pop to prog to shoegaze to classical. We had a fairly wide space rock overlap in our tastes, and liked a lot of the same dream pop and drone rock stuff (though I don't think he ever made it over to my side on the Yo La Tengo-type drone-pop, or in the Califone-type folk-blues-junkyard country where I spend a lot of time, or that whole Richard Buckner-type dusky-voiced dark-country whiskey-soaked singer-songwriter-poet-troubadour game).\

...the IPAs. over time, have taken a toll on the mind of this geezer.

So who was that guy that didn't like to hear any brass in his rock? It's been years since that came up, and I just can't remember. that. I think he was the same guy who didn't like female vocals either. I would have sworn that was the Dust man.

Swishgeezer

Davey
01-04-2009, 08:42 AM
So who was that guy that didn't like to hear any brass in his rock? It's been years since that came up, and I just can't remember. that. I think he was the same guy who didn't like female vocals either. I would have sworn that was the Dust man.

That's probably our old gladiator buddy, unleasHell. He was into the atmospheric gothic sound above most other music, or so it seemed. Joy Division especially, but was always on the lookout for new and old bands he had missed. He was always coming up with bands I'd never heard of too. Sent me a copy of The Bella Low Inside Closed Eyes a couple years ago. Good stuff...http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=20946

Oh, and I did wind up getting Powder Burns from that thread (which has both Dusty and Hell in it), and have to somewhat agree with tentoze, but not completely. Some good stuff on it, but not very cohesive, and sometimes Dulli really gets predictable in the lyrics, even moreso that usual. And terrible sounding too. But I still kinda like it :)

Swish
01-04-2009, 11:21 AM
That's probably our old gladiator buddy, unleasHell. He was into the atmospheric gothic sound above most other music, or so it seemed. Joy Division especially, but was always on the lookout for new and old bands he had missed. He was always coming up with bands I'd never heard of too. Sent me a copy of The Bella Low Inside Closed Eyes a couple years ago. Good stuff...http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=20946

Oh, and I did wind up getting Powder Burns from that thread (which has both Dusty and Hell in it), and have to somewhat agree with tentoze, but not completely. Some good stuff on it, but not very cohesive, and sometimes Dulli really gets predictable in the lyrics, even moreso that usual. And terrible sounding too. But I still kinda like it :)

I know he was happy to hear those retro 80s bands like Interpol and Editors, so that would fit his style. Not sure what happened to Steve, but I know he was really busy with his career, poor guy. The last I recall, he was doing some photography and working with female models. Must suck being him.

bobsticks
01-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I know he was happy to hear those retro 80s bands like Interpol and Editors, so that would fit his style. Not sure what happened to Steve, but I know he was really busy with his career, poor guy. The last I recall, he was doing some photography and working with female models. Must suck being him.

It does sound challenging.