HDMI receiver need help thx [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDMI receiver need help thx

gyzmot
06-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Hi all i want to buy a receiver HDMI but i don't understand the difference between a HDMI receiver (ex:AVR 147 Harman Kardon) and a HDMI SWITCHING receiver (ex:AVR 146 Harman Kardon), do i need something else to make the AVR 146 work properly in HDMI or should i go with the AVR 147?
Thank you

Yvan

tahitijack
06-04-2007, 03:40 PM
I'll toss you another option. I was about to replace my 7 or 8 year old Yamaha 5.1 AV reciever because it lacked HDMI and I thought it only had one optical input. I chose the HK 247 ($425 on sale at Best Buy). When I pulled the Yamy I found that it actually had three optical inputs. I really got the HK for more optical so I could run optical from the dvd player and the cable box. Problem solved without buying new gear. Having said all that I prefer to run the HDMI directly from the source (cable box and dvd player) to my plasma, which has multiple HDMI inputs. I just feel there is some loss going to the reciver with HDMI then out of the reciever to the plasma. So here is my two cents. Don't worry about HDMI on the reciever. If this is a concern then just assure there is at least one HDMI out of the reciver to your screen. Run the video and audio from the dvd and calble to the reciver. With this set up no matter what your source it will automaticly play on the screen without the added step of switching the source on your screen. Hope this all makes sence. Good luck!

westcott
06-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi all i want to buy a receiver HDMI but i don't understand the difference between a HDMI receiver (ex:AVR 147 Harman Kardon) and a HDMI SWITCHING receiver (ex:AVR 146 Harman Kardon), do i need something else to make the AVR 146 work properly in HDMI or should i go with the AVR 147?
Thank you

Yvan

I have a different perspective. All HD audio and video will eventually require HDMI connections with HDCP compliant copy protection. With HD lossless audio also becoming a standard in the near future with BlueRay and HD DVD, among others, I see no way around not having HDMI for both.

The only receiver I know that is currently available with HD lossless audio capabilities and HDMI 1.3a specifications is the new Onkyo TX SR605. If I were going to spend several hundred dollars on a receiver today, this is what I would buy. If I could wait on an AV receiver, then maybe I would buy another brand but only you can judge whether or not your needs are immediate or not.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5441

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/721022/

I have grave concerns about H&K's reliability in their lower end models. A friend of mine has gone thru 3 of them in just as many months and finally bought a Denon instead. This is very sad to hear because I owned a Harman Kardon for two decades and always thought highly of them up until now.

As for your question, an HDMI receiver and an HDMI switching receiver are one and the same. The only real differences is the version of HDMI they support and what signals they will upconvert to HDMI and from what source signal they will convert. (i.e. 480i from component or S video to 480p to 1080i via HDMI.) There are other variations but you get the idea. Just make sure they convert the signals from what you have to what your components will support natively.

tahitijack
06-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Wescott

What are your thoughts of assuring the lcd or plasma screen has multiple HDMI so that all video sources go direct to the screen, while audio is feed to the reciver via digital optical?

Thanks
TJ

westcott
06-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Wescott

What are your thoughts of assuring the lcd or plasma screen has multiple HDMI so that all video sources go direct to the screen, while audio is feed to the reciver via digital optical?

Thanks
TJ

This is a very acceptable approach, even preferred by some. I do a little of both with current technology. My receiver handles all the component video switching for SD programming on my CRT while my HD material goes directly to my front projector from my satellite box and the audio is all handled via digital optical for SD and HD. There is a potential for video degradation but is not an issue with my current AV receiver. My direct run to my projector is only because my current AV receiver does not accomodate HDMI.

But, as I pointed out earlier, eventually HDMI will be required to handle both HD lossless audio and video and so an AV receiver that can do both would be a wise investment at this stage in the game.