Head Banger Music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Head Banger Music

Wireworm5
06-02-2007, 09:14 AM
I've been looking to expand my hard rock collection. Admittingly I'm influenced by the '70's brand of hard rock. With overplay however I've grown tired of stuff and have delved into some of the newer head bangers music.
So I bought 2 volumes of Head Bangers Ball and I was Rocking for like 4 hours last night. Some of its pretty raunchy and demonic sounding and I don't listen to that crap. But other stuff sounds down right powerful and it fills my need to Rock!
Sadly however none of these new bands have guitar players that know how to play anything but power chords. Gone are the guitar gods like Ritchie Blackmore, Angus Young who could play lead and crank out some awesome solos. Maybe someday some young upstart band will finally get what real music talent is and we will see the re-emergence of great rock guitarists. :(

N. Abstentia
06-02-2007, 09:54 AM
HeadBangers Ball is cool, I Tivo it every week hoping to see somthing cool. It comes on Saturday nights at 11 I think. You just have to seperate the crap from the good when watching it. Some modern metal bands to check out are:

Killswitch Engage
Seemless (they are just barely metal..more hard rock but they are amazing)
Shadows Fall
Hurt
Opeth (probably the most musical metal band out there and have the best chance of any as going down as 'metal gods' forever!)

kexodusc
06-02-2007, 12:42 PM
HeadBangers Ball is cool, I Tivo it every week hoping to see somthing cool. It comes on Saturday nights at 11 I think. You just have to seperate the crap from the good when watching it. Some modern metal bands to check out are:

Killswitch Engage
Seemless (they are just barely metal..more hard rock but they are amazing)
Shadows Fall
Hurt
Opeth (probably the most musical metal band out there and have the best chance of any as going down as 'metal gods' forever!)

Yeah, I like all these bands - I'd throw in Lamb of God, who most Killswitch Engage fans I know seem to like.
Opeth, and Hurt would be my favs or this batch.
I also like Mastodon at times...thought they remind me too much of Pantera for some reason.

If you really want some good, traditional metal with less self-indulgence or "nu" influence, Megadeth's last 2 albums have been surprisingly very, very good - which I find especially funny since they've accomplished what Metallica's been desperately trying to do for the last 15 years...

Mr Peabody
06-02-2007, 12:58 PM
I got started with Metal in the 70's as well and progressed into the 80's "Bighair" bands, in the 90's after the Grunge invasion Metal seemed to be kicked to the curb. I didn't have internet then and have a big gap in my Metal dateline.

Some of the new bands I like are Tool, Disturbed, Godsmack and Stone Sour are a few. About a year ago I found some Metal bands who renewed my interest in the genre, like Tristania, Nightwish and Epica. For some reason the U.S. isn't giving these bands much attention. To me they take Metal in a new direction. Harder, faster can only go so far. Lacuna Coil is getting some attention but to me they don't compare to the mentioned. Godsmack have some tasty lead guitar, especially on Faceless. That title reminded me I also really like Creed.

I should find the HBB and record it as well. I'll check out some of those bands N

kexodusc
06-02-2007, 01:02 PM
That title reminded me I also really like Creed.

I know when I think metal, I think Opeth, Slayer, and Creed...
:ciappa:

Mr Peabody
06-02-2007, 02:10 PM
What would you call Creed?? Are you going to split a hair between "Hard Rock" and Metal? Metal seems to be evolving to mean stuff like Opeth or Slayer, thrash, speed and moshing. Metal started and still includes bands like Sabbath, Nazareth, even Kiss. I disagree but some would even include bands like Zepplin. Creed is just as intense, more so, I'd say, so what's your point.

Actually Metal has branched off into sub categories like Black, Prog, Thrash, Speed, Oceanic etc. It's not only bands who sound like Cookie Monster and the band playing at 78 rpm that can be Metal.

unleasHell
06-02-2007, 06:28 PM
sadly the "Age of the Guitarist" has past us by..

oh yeah some of them are still alive and kicking...

TS McPhee
Alvin Lee
Rory Gallagher
Jimi Hendrix
Ritchie Blackmore
Robin Trower
Gary Moore
Eric Ball
etc..

kexodusc
06-02-2007, 06:35 PM
What would you call Creed?? Are you going to split a hair between "Hard Rock" and Metal? Metal seems to be evolving to mean stuff like Opeth or Slayer, thrash, speed and moshing. Metal started and still includes bands like Sabbath, Nazareth, even Kiss. I disagree but some would even include bands like Zepplin. Creed is just as intense, more so, I'd say, so what's your point.

Actually Metal has branched off into sub categories like Black, Prog, Thrash, Speed, Oceanic etc. It's not only bands who sound like Cookie Monster and the band playing at 78 rpm that can be Metal.

No I was more poking fun at Creed making the list at all...Just one of the bands that I don't care for so I took an unsolicited shot at them. As far as genres, I don't consider them metal, I consider them corporate christian rock but I suppose they're definitely heavierl than a lot of other bands. Everyone's got a pet peeve band...Creed is mine.
I'm all about fair play though...I'm a big Poison and Skid Row fan. Shoot away...:cornut:

Mr Peabody
06-02-2007, 08:30 PM
As Billy Joel once said, "It's still rock-n-roll to me".

I also like Skid Row. I was excited to hear that Sebastian Bach was going to do vocals on a Frameshift album. I bought it as soon as it landed. There are a couple good songs on the album but I didn't think it came out as well as expected.

I personally dislike labelling a band a certain type of music. I think it limits them as to what they can do, or get away with doing artistically. It also keeps many innovative bands from getting air play because they may fall between categories or blur the lines.

kexodusc
06-03-2007, 03:13 AM
I personally dislike labelling a band a certain type of music. I think it limits them as to what they can do, or get away with doing artistically. It also keeps many innovative bands from getting air play because they may fall between categories or blur the lines.
I hate the labels because they usually end up stereotyping a band, or being used against them somehow. But at the same time, we need to be able to differentiate different styles. Meh, what can ya do..

Sebastian Bach just finished making a cameo appearance in the hilarious Canadian series, Trailer Park Boys - which I'm told back home is finally on tv in the US. Funny stuff.

Duds
06-04-2007, 05:59 AM
Katatonia
Clutch (not exactly "metal" but heavy at times and bluesy at times, great band though)
Sagh - very Sabbathy
Isis
The Quill
High On fire

just a few more to add to the others listed here

3-LockBox
06-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Opeth (probably the most musical* metal band out there and have the best chance of any as going down as 'metal gods' forever!)

*proggy

Mr Peabody
06-04-2007, 12:03 PM
I've got Opeth's Damnation and I understand this is a one of a kind for Opeth but if I wanted another Opeth, one that was "Proggy", which would it be? Are all of their vocals "Cookie Monster"?

ForeverAutumn
06-04-2007, 01:16 PM
I've got Opeth's Damnation and I understand this is a one of a kind for Opeth but if I wanted another Opeth, one that was "Proggy", which would it be? Are all of their vocals "Cookie Monster"?

I haven't heard all of Opeth's disks, but the ones that I've heard are a mix of Cookie Monster and clean vocals. When the vocals are clean, they are outstanding! I'm not sure why this band continues to growl when Akerfeldt has such a fantasic voice. They would be so much more listenable (to my ears anyway) if they would just stop it.

Having said all of that...I hate Cookie Monster vocals. But Opeth's music is just so damn good that I do my best to overlook them. This is the only death metal band that I'll do that for. I just picked up Ghost Reveries in 5.1. I can't wait to find the time (and an empty house) to listen to it!

As for head bangers...I can't believe that no-one has mentioned Dream Theater yet! If Wireworm is looking for some great guitar playing, you're not gonna find a shredder much better than John Petrucci.

kexodusc
06-04-2007, 01:25 PM
As for head bangers...I can't believe that no-one has mentioned Dream Theater yet! If Wireworm is looking for some great guitar playing, you're not gonna find a shredder much better than John Petrucci.

I'll second that...
Systematic Chaos is a helluva headbangin' album...

Rich-n-Texas
06-04-2007, 02:31 PM
sadly the "Age of the Guitarist" has past us by..

oh yeah some of them are still alive and kicking...

TS McPhee
Alvin Lee
Rory Gallagher
Jimi Hendrix
Ritchie Blackmore
Robin Trower
Gary Moore
Eric Ball
etc..

Do you know something the rest of us don't?:idea: Or are you speaking from your perspective there in He!! ;)

I had the opportunity last summer to go see Robin Trower at a small venue in Dallas, but by the time I found out about it, it was sold out. It would've been something to see him and whatever friends he brought along.

Edit: I should've said...
I think Iron Maiden and Judas Priest et al were some of the early pioneers of "Heavy Metal"...

Amen brother! I've mentioned this before but I'll say it again... Patti Smith despised the Queen/Grandmother of Punk label because she said (in an interview once) words to the effect that she felt the word Punk was derogatory and that her music and lyrics weren't meant to be viewed that way.

ForeverAutumn
06-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I'll second that...
Systematic Chaos is a helluva headbangin' album...

SHUT UP!!! How do you know that?! I'm counting the hours until lunchtime tomorrow when I can run over to the record store across the street and pick it up.

It's even more exciting than the countdown to 10:00 on a Wednesday! :eek:

Wireworm5
06-04-2007, 03:45 PM
I didn't mean to imply those guitar gods are dead. They are from the 60's,70's, 80's and early 90's and are getting old. And these new guys aren't filling their shoes, sad to say.

From the stuff I've heard I like some Tool , Godsmack, one song from Collective Soul and a various others.
My girlfriends a headbanger, that's how I got into this stuff. She's a Korn fan, so I better learn to like Korn. :)

Duds
06-05-2007, 05:22 AM
Did it ever cross your mind that some people like the growling vocals? i know I do. I also like the "normal" vocals too though. the part in Harlequin forest with the growling is kick ass.

by the way, the guitarist for Opeth recently left the band.

I haven't heard all of Opeth's disks, but the ones that I've heard are a mix of Cookie Monster and clean vocals. When the vocals are clean, they are outstanding! I'm not sure why this band continues to growl when Akerfeldt has such a fantasic voice. They would be so much more listenable (to my ears anyway) if they would just stop it.

Having said all of that...I hate Cookie Monster vocals. But Opeth's music is just so damn good that I do my best to overlook them. This is the only death metal band that I'll do that for. I just picked up Ghost Reveries in 5.1. I can't wait to find the time (and an empty house) to listen to it!

ForeverAutumn
06-05-2007, 05:32 AM
Did it ever cross your mind that some people like the growling vocals? i know I do. I also like the "normal" vocals too though. the part in Harlequin forest with the growling is kick ass.

by the way, the guitarist for Opeth recently left the band.

Yes, it occured to me that some people like the growling. Opeth wouldn't be selling many albums otherwise. That's why I qualified my statement with "to my ears".

I heard that the guitarist left the band. I also read that he's been replaced. While I'm not familiar with the replacement, the folks over at Progressive Ears do appear to be familiar with him and seem to be happy with the choice. I guess I'll have to wait for their next album to decide for myself.

kexodusc
06-05-2007, 07:50 AM
SHUT UP!!! How do you know that?! I'm counting the hours until lunchtime tomorrow when I can run over to the record store across the street and pick it up.

It's even more exciting than the countdown to 10:00 on a Wednesday! :eek:
Let's just say my good friends at you-know-where came through for me...I've never felt so greasy over something sooooooo trivial...

ForeverAutumn
06-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Let's just say my good friends at you-know-where came through for me...I've never felt so greasy over something sooooooo trivial...

I need to start spending more time at the used record shop across the street.

I hope that you're at least rewarding your friends with a couple of Tim Horton's every once in a while. :)

kexodusc
06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
I need to start spending more time at the used record shop across the street.

I hope that you're at least rewarding your friends with a couple of Tim Horton's every once in a while. :)
Once a week usually... I just comped them with movie passes I get for a volunteer thing I do. Getting stuff a day early isn't a big deal - getting the staff discounts on my dvd's or getting a few extra stamps amounts to more.
I kind of feel guilty but it's a mutually beneficial arrangement. I just hope they don't ever get ideas about finding careers or anything.