Monitor audio Silver RS6 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Monitor audio Silver RS6

kkg10
06-01-2007, 04:52 PM
I recently bought these speakers to replace my Dynaudio bookehelf with the hope of getting more soundstage and clarity. These speakers are very bright to me. In fact the tweeters are kind of annoying. I drive them thru' Tara speaker cables, Adcom amp and Music Hall CD player with Nordost interconnects. The only control have a tube based volume control (preamp). Can anyone suggest what can I do to smooth the tweeters a little bit?

jrhymeammo
06-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Did you purchase them new? If so, how long have you had them?

If it sounds bright and too thin, just give it 100 hours to break them in and be patient. Sounds should become fuller and highs should smooth out as well as remaining frequencies. But I imagine you already know the effects of break-in-period, so I will let others here recommend on somw tube pre I cannot help you with your question yet.

kkg10
06-02-2007, 05:41 AM
Yes, they are new and I have around 30 hrs. on them.

jrhymeammo
06-02-2007, 06:02 AM
Try giving at least 100 hours. Since you have a SS amp, just cover your speakers and leave them playing while you go to worst or whatever.

If yo only hve about 30 hours, then I imagine they sound thin and bright as usual. Your sound will open up significantly, just be patient.
You will love the sound in no time.

Also, play with speaker placements.

My bookshelfs are front ported, but I have my pull 50 more inches from the back wall(distance from the front of speakers). That makes them sound so much better. Every room is different, but I imagine that if you hve your speakers place against the back wall, highs are being contaimnated with muffled bass. Just play around my friend. But remember to give them 100 hours(+/-100hrs?) of break in period.

Best Wishes,

emorphien
06-02-2007, 07:11 AM
just cover your speakers and leave them playing while you go to worst or whatever.
I don't like work either but I'm sure there are worse things!

DEVO
06-02-2007, 09:40 AM
A friend of mine has the RS8's and he said he didn't like his for the 1st week or so, but once they begin to break in...they smooth out. They are a very warm speaker (the mids) are very previlent. I believe you will love those speakers!

Happy Listening!

westcott
06-02-2007, 12:55 PM
I would try toeing them out, as well.

kkg10
06-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll wait. In fact when I auditioned, they sounded totally different. That store had Energy, Dali, Paradigm, Martin Logan, PSB. To my ear, Monitor sounded best in that price range.

basite
06-03-2007, 01:28 AM
they should sound good, the Monitor Audio RS series are a little miracle :)

btw, what tube preamp have you got?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
06-03-2007, 05:16 AM
I own the Tara Labs Prism Nexa speaker cables and I find they elevate the high frequencies. I can not use them for long with either my NHT SuperOnes or Ascend CBM 170SE before I am tired of the sound. I would borrow some other speaker cables or even buy some inexpensive 12 guage stranded and see if that improves.

As several have mentioned break in should help as well as orientation.

basite
06-03-2007, 05:24 AM
I noticed that the Kimber 8PR made our B&W's play softer...

http://www.kimber.com/Products/LoudSpeakerCables/8PR/8PR.aspx

could be a good cable for you, or another Kimber cable. Also try Audioquest...

Good luck,
Bert.