Denon 3910 vs Pioneer DV-989AVi-G [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon 3910 vs Pioneer DV-989AVi-G

csukasem
06-01-2007, 02:27 PM
An AV guy in Thailand told me that Denon 3910 has superior picture to Pioneer DV-989AVi-G !!!

This guy also supports using compenent cables for video rather than using HDMI.

Actually, this is 2 topics. Or should I separate the topics ?

Thanks

Sukasem C.

westcott
06-02-2007, 12:49 PM
An AV guy in Thailand told me that Denon 3910 has superior picture to Pioneer DV-989AVi-G !!!

This guy also supports using compenent cables for video rather than using HDMI.

Actually, this is 2 topics. Or should I separate the topics ?

Thanks

Sukasem C.

Historically, Denon has always been on top when it comes to DVD player performance. Pioneer is not known for its video processing in DVD players so I would say that generally, your AV guy is right.

From an AV guy perspective, their are a lot of good things about component output. It does not have all of the handshake issues of HDMI for HDCP compliance and long run cables are generally not an issue for component video. When done properly thought, HDMI can provide a better picture for the larger bit depths the newer video processors are coming out with. HDMI will also be a requirement for HD audio and video, for the most part, and you will not be able to receive a lot of content in the future as HDCP becomes fully implemented. Analog connections are still allowed now but there is no guarantee that it will be useable in the future. The HD content providers are getting more and more serious about implementing copy protection systems to try to protect the higher resolution formats for audio and video.

I gues to sum it up, if I were buying new equipment, I would get components that support HDMI and are HDCP compliant.

topspeed
06-02-2007, 02:06 PM
The 3910 is a couple of years old now, although I agree with Westcott that Denon's have always been knows for their top shelf PQ. The newer 2930 and higher models use the Teranex chip, widely regarded as the absolute state of the art. I would find it very hard to believe the Pio would suprass a Teranex chipped Denon in PQ.

As for the cable question, the only thing I would add is that it sure is a lot easier to run a single HDMI cable to the monitor than three massive component cables. For clean installs, this makes a difference!