Internet Radio Wars Part Deux [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Internet Radio Wars Part Deux

bobsticks
05-31-2007, 05:58 PM
It appears as if the forces of Internet Radio will not go quietly into the night. NPR, Real Networks and others in the "Anti-talentless-dipshnit-in-a-tie-taking-all-the-effin'-money-for-no-good-reason League" are striking back.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/tvstations/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003558904

recoveryone
06-01-2007, 07:11 AM
Sorry Bob I have to back them on this, I too listen to Internet Radio and in most cases prefer it to normal broadcast stations. I may not listen to NPR, but their are thousands of other stations that would stop broadcasting if the rate hike goes ahead. If they get the hike on Internet broadcast, guess whats next! XM and Sirius. The record lables are really pushing this so they can recoup funds from downloaded music.

bobsticks
06-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Ooops, maybe my vagueries were too...well, vague. I think you and I are on the same side of this, R1. I'm completely against a royalty hike.

If the record companies are looking for a way to recoup from downloading they need to target audiences that have money. Of course thirteen year olds are gonna download. Here's an idea, how about not making hi-rez audio both esoteric in selection and difficult to implement.

karl k
06-02-2007, 09:41 PM
How many people actually download from a music "broadcast" anyway? I've never found it to be very convenient to "pick" a song and record it(could never get the timing right) and to record a whole session just to review and cut songs from it is a lot of time.

"But the victory could be Pyrrhic if it forces a consolidation and commercialization that robs online radio of its musical diversity.”

Seems to me that this would be an easy way for the recording industry and sponsers to get their audience back and listening to what "THEY" want us to hear... what makes them the most money! JMHO
The irony is that without the diversity of internet radio, I would never hear those less played "out of my market audience" songs and never have the chance to buy them. Viva internet radio!!!

recoveryone
06-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Karl, when we talk about downloading we are talking about sites like Kazza, Limewire and others that use the peer to peer system to get around the pirating issues. With no cost to the user and no royalties to the artist and label companies.