Mindless hilarious movie: Cannonball Run. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mindless hilarious movie: Cannonball Run.

Smokey
05-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Although I seen this 1981 movie long time ago, but recently picked it up on DVD and have watched it every night for last couple of weeks. And it still make me laugh.

With story of cross country race and stars such as Burt Reynolds, Roger Moore, Farrah Fawcett, Dom DeLuise, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Jackie Chan, Peter Fonda and Jack Elam there is never a dull moment. Everybody seem to have such a good time filming this movie, and the picture quality on DVD is first rate.

It is even funnier than Smokey and the Bandit

http://www.misterpants.com/junk/cannonball.jpg

kexodusc
05-31-2007, 04:55 PM
One of the few VHS tapes I still own and watch - I even liked the sequel...

Smokey
05-31-2007, 05:35 PM
One of the few VHS tapes I still own and watch - I even liked the sequel...

Please don't tell me you still have VHS (and probably full screen version) in your movie collection since the quality of video on this DVD is excellent, and in widescreen :ciappa:

Haven’t picked the sequel yet, but online reviews for the sequel is brutal and it seem not to hold up too well against the original (go figure).

PeruvianSkies
05-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Please don't tell me you still have VHS (and probably full screen version) in your movie collection since the quality of video on this DVD is excellent, and in widescreen :ciappa:

Haven’t picked the sequel yet, but online reviews for the sequel is brutal and it seem not to hold up too well against the original (go figure).

....yeah and with the recent passing of Charles Nelson Reilly the sequel is definitely worth revisiting.

Troy
05-31-2007, 08:55 PM
and have watched it every night for last couple of weeks. And it still make me laugh.

I'm completely mystified by this statement. I find doing something like this incomprehensible with any film, but especially with Canonball Run.

How much pot do you smoke?

PeruvianSkies
05-31-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm completely mystified by this statement. I find doing something like this incomprehensible with any film, but especially with Canonball Run.

Maybe he is still trying to get the plot????

Worf101
06-01-2007, 03:33 AM
I've only 2 words for ya Smoke ole bean.

GUMBALL RALLY!!!!!

It predates the "Canonball Run" series and, IMHO, is a far superior film in all aspects. I won't beat you with a batlef for liking Burt and Company. You like what you like...

Cheers...

Da Worfster

GMichael
06-01-2007, 04:53 AM

GUMBALL RALLY!!!!!

It predates the "Canonball Run" series and, IMHO, is a far superior film in all aspects. I won't beat you with a batlef for liking Burt and Company. You like what you like...

Cheers...

Da Worfster

I liked all three of these. Throw in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" from 1963 and we can have a road film fest.

Feanor
06-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Although I seen this 1981 movie long time ago, but recently picked it up on DVD and have watched it every night for last couple of weeks. And it still make me laugh.

With story of cross country race and stars such as Burt Reynolds, Roger Moore, Farrah Fawcett, Dom DeLuise, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Jackie Chan, Peter Fonda and Jack Elam there is never a dull moment. Everybody seem to have such a good time filming this movie, and the picture quality on DVD is first rate.

It is even funnier than Smokey and the Bandit

Weekend at Bernie's (I) is my favorite mindless comedy flick ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098627/
Really dumb, but it still makes me laugh. What? Only 5.6 at IMDB? Most folks were expecting 'way too much I guess.

Smokey
06-01-2007, 05:16 PM
....yeah and with the recent passing of Charles Nelson Reilly the sequel is definitely worth revisiting.

I am big fan of Nelson Reilly and used to watch him all the time on Match Game show. His comic timing is just perfect. But didn't know he was in the sequel.

Wahhhhahah, that is so funny...but couldn't tell you since this is public forum :hand:

This movie got some many stars and it moves so fast that it doesn’t get stale over long run. One would think that either Burt and Dom DeLuise steal the movie, but in actuality it was Dean Martin, Sammy Davis and Jack Elam as Doctor that stole the movie and make it endure repeatability.

And thanks Worf, GMichael and Feanor for movie suggestions. Haven't seen the movies you all mentioned, and barely remember "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World". Been fan of road movies since I saw the original Cannonball movie with David Carradine in theater back in 1976.

topspeed
06-04-2007, 10:16 AM

GUMBALL RALLY!!!!!

It predates the "Canonball Run" series and, IMHO, is a far superior film in all aspects.

+1

My Klingon ally is absolutely correct. Better cars, better action, better cars, better dialogue, better cars, better characters.

Oh, and it had better cars ;). How can you not like a Ferrari 365 Daytona versus a 427 Cobra?!? Gumball was the movie that illustrated the difference between a fast car and a quick car, which for a young kid, was a revelation.

This gives me an idea for a good poll, tho...