nood needs a decent HTIB [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : nood needs a decent HTIB

mgsooner
05-31-2007, 11:24 AM
*edit* it should say "Noob" needs a decent HTIB, LOL

Greetings all,

I'm new to the forum; as you can see this is my first post ever. It's good to meet you all.

I am looking for a good HTIB system. I'm looking at purchasing a 46" Samsung DLP (720P).

The HTIB system I am looking at is the Panasonic SCPT-X7. It is a new system so I can't find any reviews of it yet. Here is a link: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-3-1-Channel-Home-Theater-System-SCPT-X7/sem/rpsm/oid/179766/catOid/-12954/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Here's what I'm looking for in my HTIB system: upconverting DVD player to 1080p, a built in iPod dock, decent "virtual" surround sound as I do not want a 5 speaker system, good sound (doesn't have to be ridiculously loud), HDMI.

This system appears to have all of that plus "wireless" capability, whatever that means.

Any thoughts on this system? I am very hesistant to buy a Panasonic, because I have heard that they are pretty much junk. But could they be turning over a new leaf with this system? The specs seem pretty impressive.

Any other suggestions for a good HTIB system that meets the above criteria? My budget is around $700.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/info, it would be greatly appreciated by this home theater noob.

PeruvianSkies
05-31-2007, 07:54 PM
I think you could do much better by assemling your own system even with $700. I'll let others chime in with their thoughts as well on the issue.

2chAlex
05-31-2007, 10:49 PM
I think you could do much better by assemling your own system even with $700. I'll let others chime in with their thoughts as well on the issue.

That's my thinking also. Just a quick example as an option to HTIB. BB has the Yamaha 331 5.1 when on sale it goes for 179. HDMI dvd players many good choices that would keep you in budget. Speakers such as polk, axiom etc have good inexpensive models. There is plenty of options for you, as I said this was just a quick response from me (as it's late ). I'am sure others will have more thoughts and input. You know I went back and reread your list. You mentioned virtual sound and not wanting 5 speakers so I may have gone off in a differant direction,sorry.

pixelthis
05-31-2007, 10:59 PM
GREAT ADVICE
And if you are still determined to go the allinone route your best bet is one of the allinone packages by either onkyo or harmon
onkyo has a 449 system at short circuit , with speakers and sub, just add dvd, this would allow you to get a oppo (abouit the best upconverter ) and have a few bucks left over to get some dvds.
BUT beware of htibs, even from brand names, most arent built for anybody but the undemanding great unwashed, and they show their warts in a hurry:cornut:

Vardo
06-01-2007, 09:29 PM
If your could up you budget a little to $880 I would recommend these:

Yahama 5730 $160 or less on line.
Axiom M2 v2 $296 book shelf speakers shipped. axiomaudio.com.
HSU STF-1 on sale now for $274 shipped 8" sub/with 150W amp
(hsuresearch.com)
Oppo DV-970HD up converting DVD player (to 720p/1080i) $149

I know this is over budget and internet direct. Upping you budget
by $180/$200 my be a little to much. You will need stands for the
speakers (you can wall mount them on the wall, but I don't recommend that).
If you're handy with woodworking you can make your own stands....

Maybe in your case wireless speakers and virtual surround etc. is very
acceptable. But with a nice 46" Samsung HDTV I personally don't
think any home theater in a box will please you in the long run.
But maybe it will. A HTIB is convenient, and easy to set up.

I've own(ed) 3 HSU subs, a Yahama 5730 (for a small home theater)
Axiom M3 (also for a small home theather)...so that's why the recommendations...I don't hype equipment that I haven't owned.....
just my 2 cents....vardo

thekid
06-02-2007, 07:14 AM
MG- While many of the HTIB's have IMO improved in sound quality in recent years they often have connection/power limitations that you do not have in even a small budget stand alone system. The subwoofer and center speaker are where many HTIB have issues because many subs are just underpowered and the center speakers are often drowned out by the mains.
However I have noted the big boxes such as CC and BB are carrying more and more HTIB realtive in comparison to bookshelf or floorstandng speakers so I think that would provide you with a good place to try and demo some units. I bought my parents a inexpensive Sony HTIB a few years ago and for their very basic needs it does a pretty produce decent sound and saves space but it has a limited number of connections for additional equipment-not that they will ever need them.

I have several low-budget HT set-ups in my house. In my son's room I put together the following system;

Reciever-Pioneer VSX-516 $140 (Best Buy)
Front Speakers- Sony SS-MB350 $100 (Best Buy)
Center chanel- Pioneer SHF11 $60 (Circuit City)
Rear Speakers- Sony SS-MB150 $50 (Best Buy)
Sony 8" Sub- SW200 $100 (Best Buy)
Sony Upconvert DVD player $130 (Best Buy)

Total cost- about $600

Most members on this site would not care for this set-up and I am not neccessarily recommending it because I think peoples tastes vary and you need to decide for yourself. But I think this shows that there are alternatives to HTIB and you could put together a quality system you like looking at other manufacturers and shopping different sources.

Good luck!

PeruvianSkies
06-02-2007, 09:49 PM
about a year ago a good friend of mine bought an all-in-one Yamaha system for his new home. This was against my constant (and I do mean CONSTANT) nagging on him about building a system on his own. I offered my help and he went out and bought the all-in-one anyway. I consulted with him on that system and helped him get it set-up the best way possible. In fact, I gave him a pair of Polk monitors to use for his fronts in replacement of the Yamaha's that came with his package. He was delighted, but was still working with a basic receiver, genertic sub, and fairly insufficient rear surrounds and center channel.

Over the course of the year he has played around with several positionings, settings, and EQing and keeps asking me why he can't get the performance out of it that he wants...I feel like saying "Told ya so", but I keep quiet. Yes, we have managed to get a lot of mileage from this setup and the price of it was in his budget, but he is not exactly satisfied. He tolerates his setup. I cringe when I hear it. He is not happy with the low-end, which either sounds boomy or dull. His surrounds are not very realisitic in nature and his center channel is wimpy to say the least. The Polk's are the real champ in his setup, but even they can't save it.

I say all of this to emphasize one point: when you buy a package like a HTIB deal you are sacraficing quality in all areas just to save a few bucks. In the long-term aspect of things it will be more cost-effecient to get what you want early and add-on in the future by spreading your budget over the course of time and not really compromising anything in the meantime. Besides...building your own custom system is much more fun and also....much more rewarding. Good luck.

adam mcd
06-03-2007, 08:42 PM
onkyo is the only company that can make a decent HTIB at a decent price, in my opinion. i, like so many others here im sure, am against HTIBs, but these onkyo systems are flat ****ing amazing for the price. hell, even denon's htib w/bostn accoustics sounds flat compared to onkyo's get ups.

check out the HT-SR800, brand new 7.1 model, with nice speakers and full sound. ive seen prices at 500 bux or so. doesnt include a dvd player, though.

if youre looking for a nice upconverting dvd player with the HTIB, and a receiver that can process audio through HDMI (which the HTSR800 cant do), check out the HTS894. 5.1, a lil better receiver than the htsr800, and they even throw in an HDMI cable to get you goin. ive seen it at 750-800.

pixelthis
06-03-2007, 10:57 PM
onkyo is the only company that can make a decent HTIB at a decent price, in my opinion. i, like so many others here im sure, am against HTIBs, but these onkyo systems are flat ****ing amazing for the price. hell, even denon's htib w/bostn accoustics sounds flat compared to onkyo's get ups.

check out the HT-SR800, brand new 7.1 model, with nice speakers and full sound. ive seen prices at 500 bux or so. doesnt include a dvd player, though.

if youre looking for a nice upconverting dvd player with the HTIB, and a receiver that can process audio through HDMI (which the HTSR800 cant do), check out the HTS894. 5.1, a lil better receiver than the htsr800, and they even throw in an HDMI cable to get you goin. ive seen it at 750-800.

These guys make great stuff and dont charge an arm and a leg.
This is what used to called a loss leader.
My integra would make a good starter pre-pro at just 1200, has all of the nessesarries.
And its really the quietest receiver I have ever had.
I agree with peruvian about htib's, its a much better strategy to buy a great componet
here and there and botstrap your way up, but lets face it, a lot dont care that much
(or think they dont) about the sound, they dont figure out until they've wasted
good money on basically a clock radio just what a lousy deal they did make, "saving " money

GMichael
06-04-2007, 06:35 AM
For $700 you could put together a nicer system yourself than about any HTIB out there. For the most part, companies who make good receivers don't make good speakers. That's where most of the problem is with the HTIB solutions. They usually use receivers that a couple of years removed from today's cutting edge as well. If you look at last year's receivers and pick up some average speakers, you can have a much nicer system for the same or even less money. CC has Onkyo and Denon. BB has Yamaha. I'll pick out a Yamaha, but only because I know more about them than the others. But there's nothing wrong with Onkyo or Denon either. Take a look at the Yamaha HTR-5960. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200502&CTID=5000400 I see prices in the low $300's.
A few of these Primus 150's http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Infinity-PRIMUS-150 at under $100 a pair. (note: these are not "Hi-end" speakers, but blow away anything that will come in an HTIB)
Then a good sub like Dayton TITSK-10K 10" Titanic Mk III at $358.00 http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-760
Don't worry about having to put it together yourself. If you can twist a screw driver, then you'll have no trouble.

This system will put you over the $700 mark but is way better than any HTIB system out there. You could go down a model on the receiver or pick a cheaper sub like the Primus PS8. But in the long run, you'd like this much better.

This is just one of many system that could be put together.

GMichael
06-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Onkyo TX-SR505 $269.00 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BMXuXYhk7zd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&I=580TXS505B
or
Yamaha RX-V659 399.00 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BMXuXYhk7zd/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=022rxv659&wm=cl
OR
Yamaha RX-V461 299.00 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BMXuXYhk7zd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&I=022RXV461

Infinity Theater Pack/PS-8 479.98 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BMXuXYhk7zd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=12700&I=700P5PPS8

DVD players can be had for cheap, Toshiba SD-4000 at 49.99 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BMXuXYhk7zd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=54400&I=052SD4000

With a little digging, I'm sure you could find these cheaper elsewhere.