Quality dual/multi-zone preamplifier, anything out there? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quality dual/multi-zone preamplifier, anything out there?

nightflier
05-30-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm helping a friend set up a whole-house audio system. We have amps, speakers, a music server, and a tuner, but is there a decent quality dual/multi-zone preamplifier out there with remote control (to switch between zones)? It seems silly, but I can't seem to find a single mid-fi preamplifier that has this feature. I know there are pre-pros that do this and lots of systems that are dedicated to whole-house setups but they are in the multi-thousand dollar range and that's not really an option. The only other options I have are:

- Using dual, identical preamps and a splitter for the source
- A remote control switch box, although I can't find a single model/brand that does this

Any suggestions?

Feanor
05-30-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm helping a friend set up a whole-house audio system. We have amps, speakers, a music server, and a tuner, but is there a decent quality dual/multi-zone preamplifier out there with remote control (to switch between zones)? It seems silly, but I can't seem to find a single mid-fi preamplifier that has this feature. I know there are pre-pros that do this and lots of systems that are dedicated to whole-house setups but they are in the multi-thousand dollar range and that's not really an option. The only other options I have are:

- Using dual, identical preamps and a splitter for the source
- A remote control switch box, although I can't find a single model/brand that does this

Any suggestions?

How about this one?

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=1&id=13&cat=Multi%2DZone+A%2FV+Control+Centers&prodid=1044&product=CR16
;) :smilewinkgrin:

N. Abstentia
05-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Outlaw 990..I love the dual zone on it, it even comes with a dedicated remote just for zone 2. My zone 2 is my outdoor speakers running off 2 spare channels of my 7 channel amp.

Feanor
05-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Outlaw 990..I love the dual zone on it, it even comes with a dedicated remote just for zone 2. My zone 2 is my outdoor speakers running off 2 spare channels of my 7 channel amp.

N.a, the 990 looks like a great option. :thumbsup: Its functionality of the 990 is amazing in general, especially for the bucks ...
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/990.html

nightflier
05-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the input.

I was hoping to avoid the A/V units, thinking that this would add too much unnecessary stuff. All we need to transmit is audio. I really do like the McIntosh, but that may be a bit overkill for me (and a bit pricey too). Does McIntosh have older models that can do the same (with remote) and that I might find for a lower price?

Bottom line is, this will be for someone who's not really too tech-savvy so anything with too many buttons would be overkill (I'm even considering replacing the remote with a big-button generic one). That said, they do like their music loud and of decent quality, so we didn't skimp on the speakers or the amps and I would like to provide a decent preamp to match.

nightflier
06-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Someone tipped me on to older Carver preamps like the CT-17. Does anyone know if this preamp will select zone 2 out via the remote?

Also, I know very little about older Carver gear except that it's always been bargain-priced on the used market (which may or may not be good?). How do they sound? What is their typical sound signature?