Spam spam spam spam... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spam spam spam spam...

Rich-n-Texas
05-30-2007, 04:55 AM
It looks like you mods spend a helluva lot of time deleting spam here on the AR forums. Doesn't the vBulletin s/w come with a decent filter for this junk? If it's an option I'd be glad to help pay for it.

Rich-n-Texas
06-28-2007, 06:47 PM
I take back the part where I say I'd help pay for better filtering. This vBB software just plain sucks. Audio Review.com should be ashamed of itself. Not hard to understand why there are more posts from spammers than there are from the dwindling membership.

Pretty sad.

PeruvianSkies
06-28-2007, 07:34 PM
I second that! Not the paying part though.

Mr Peabody
06-28-2007, 08:00 PM
When I saw the title of this thread I thought, man, I've heard of a Big Mac attack but this guy must really want a can of Spam. I was going to take up a collection for you:) Of course, you all in Texas probably get it in a barrel, with everything being bigger and all.

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2007, 05:27 AM
Actually, the title comes from a Monty Python skit. I don't remember it to well, but I have a mental image of Terry Gilliam singing spam spam spam spam...

I was never a big fan of spam, but yes, it's popular down here. Spam & grits! :D

GMichael
06-29-2007, 05:34 AM
Actually, the title comes from a Monty Python skit. I don't remember it to well, but I have a mental image of Terry Gilliam singing spam spam spam spam...

I was never a big fan of spam, but yes, it's popular down here. Spam & grits! :D

Maybe you could sign up to be a mod. I'm sure they'd teach you how to delete them.

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2007, 06:40 AM
There shouldn't be this much spam coming across here to begin with. For one thing, other discussion forums I've been sub'ed to require making your e-mail address visible to the mods, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Just about everytime I see spam, it's posted across multiple categories, and I'm sure there's some kind of option or filter that can be involked to keep that from occuring.

I'm not going to profess that I know eveything about how this vBulletin s/w works. I can only share what I've encountered at other forums.

Is ericl still this site's admin? What was RL talking about when he mentioned that "this place was taken over and is owned and operated by a marketing group that was called E-centives, now Invenda..."

I wonder what the sponsors of this site think when they see less traffic from the potential customers and more traffic from the non-paying spammers?
JMO

Feanor
06-29-2007, 07:29 AM

I remember the Monty Python thing pretty well: really funny.

But what a dismal though: spam & grits :nonod: I'll pass.

By the way, last time I was down south, (Florida and south east), biscuits & gravy were really big everywhere. Texas too? The only thing good about B&G was that it was a relief from all the deep-fried stuff; ("chicken-fried steak" -- my arteries harden at the very thought).

GMichael
06-29-2007, 07:49 AM

By the way, last time I was down south, (Florida and south east), biscuits & gravy were really big everywhere. Texas too? The only thing good about B&G was that it was a relief from all the deep-fried stuff; ("chicken-fried steak" -- my arteries harden at the very thought).

My wife is from the Philippines. Apparently Spam is huge there. But she loves it fried with rice. How's that for hardening of your arteries? It may even harden up your kid's arteries.:eek6:

Resident Loser
06-29-2007, 08:01 AM
...not familiar with the Spam sketch, and shame on you, can check this out for an overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(Monty_Python)

And then here for the script:

http://www.detritus.org/spam/skit.html

And of course for the full effect, there's always:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ7YedEopp4

R-in-T...Do a Google for E-centives or Invenda and you'll find out what I mean...

I'm not a fan of Spam...I'm more partial to beef jerky...or maybe Velveeta and Uneeda Biscuits...But grits is g-o-o-o-d...buttered...laced with cheese...under eggs...with sausage gravy'n'biscuits...wha-a-a-y doggies...

jimHJJ(...deep-fried catfish and hush puppies with cole slaw...m-m-m-m-m...so much food, so little time...)

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2007, 10:02 AM

B&G are a very popular breakfast item here. No, I wouldn't eat spam topped with grits, but like RL says, grits topped with butter and cheese or even a little sugar is a delicious addition to breakfast. If you said: "I'll have some grits with my scrambled eggs" up in NJ or NY, the waitress would probably pull a knife on you or get offended, but not down here... I just have to chuckle everytime I say grits! (Sorry, I'm being silly again)

RL, the fried catfish, though bad for the arteries is also a very popular catch here. Totally different story from up north, where it's considered by many as bottom feeding scum. Catfish are grain-fed and certain breeds grow VERY large. And to tell ya the truth, the taste is not that bad, as long as you're not shown how butt-ugly they are before you eat it. And thanks for those links. I'm sure I'll get a kick out of them.

Wait a minute! How did we get on a...Spam, the food subject??? :idea: :wink5:

Mr Peabody
06-29-2007, 05:16 PM
When I moved to the South I was amused to be able to buy grits at McDonald's. I tried them a few ways but they never grew on me. Something about meat substance from a can I don't trust. But I can eat me some biscuits and gravy, especially sausage gravy.

Seriously, what is spam here? Maybe the way I browse I don't notice it. Is it posts trying to sell stuff or just BS posts?

bobsticks
06-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Totally different story from up north, where it's considered by many as bottom feeding scum.

You should see what comes out of the Detroit River.

I remember one year walking across the bridge to Belle Isle for Thunderfest. As we approached, one of the hundred or so fisherman casting lines off the bridge was making quite a show over having something on the line. Up and over the railing comes a footlong toxic sludgeball.

Our resident Darryl Cronzy mumbled something, declared its name was "Hoffa", and hurled it into oncoming traffic.

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2007, 06:57 PM
When I moved to the South I was amused to be able to buy grits at McDonald's. I tried them a few ways but they never grew on me. Something about meat substance from a can I don't trust. But I can eat me some biscuits and gravy, especially sausage gravy.

Seriously, what is spam here? Maybe the way I browse I don't notice it. Is it posts trying to sell stuff or just BS posts?
In this case, it's non-sponsors peddling their wares on a sponsored website like this one.

I did not know you could get grrrits @ McD's. OTOH I only buy McMuffins and coffee from the drive-through when I get food from there anyway.

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2007, 07:18 PM
You should see what comes out of the Detroit River.
Naa.. I think I'll pass thanks. I remember learning about the Detroit River in Geography class in high school many many years ago. It was a nasty body of water back then too!

I remember one year walking across the bridge to Belle Isle for Thunderfest. As we approached, one of the hundred or so fisherman casting lines off the bridge was making quite a show over having something on the line. Up and over the railing comes a footlong toxic sludgeball.

Our resident Darryl Cronzy mumbled something, declared its name was "Hoffa", and hurled it into oncoming traffic.
:lol: No sh!t?!?!?! We were always told he was buried under the Meadowlands stadium in North Jersey. Good to know he was finally found though, albiet on the end of a fish hook! Fitting I guess. :rolleyes5: