Need more King Crimson w/ Belew (and a comment) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need more King Crimson w/ Belew (and a comment)

3-LockBox
02-20-2004, 11:40 AM
I heard a couple of songs from the discipline era Crimson and decided to buy them; I saw at least two of them over the Christmas holidays at BB, but when I went to pick them up, they were gone. I checked CC, but no luck either. I checked CDnow.com, but they only had one of the three in stock (Discipline). They didn't even have <i>Compact King Crimson</i> in stock. Do any of you have these three CDs on hand or no where on line to look for them? CdNow seemed a tad high ($14.98 plus S&H).

BTW: I lost an e-mail from someone who was terribly disappointed with <i>Power To Believe</i> and wanted to sell it. Does this ring a bell?

FWIW: A band who never makes it to mainstream (or even underground) radio sure doesn't seem to have trouble selling its share of albums.

PS: I think <i>thrak</i> is great.

DarrenH
02-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Go directly to DGM.

http://www.disciplineglobalmobile.com

They should have everything you need in Krim.

I'm a great fan of Belew era Krim also. Of the three 80's albums I'd say Beat is the weakest followed by Three Of A Perfect Pair then Discipline. I really love Thrak and Troy will agree that The Power To Believe is the best work they've done in years. I like The Construcktion Of Light as well but it's the weakest of the current releases.

For 90's era live Krim you really must get Vroom Vroom and/or B'Boom. These are superb.

For 80's era live Krim, Absent Lovers is most excellent.

Darren

3-LockBox
02-20-2004, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=DarrenH]Go directly to DGM.

>They should have everything you need in Krim.

(I believe its only stuff from the DGM label.)

Troy
02-20-2004, 12:59 PM
I know that all the KC stuff was released in those annoying little cardboard sleeves last year (or maybe 2002). I still see them around. These Japanese remasters sound really clean.

Darren is right, DGM should have everything on hand from all eras of KC. They are shameless in their marketing.

nobody
02-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Weird...
I was just listening to an Adrian Belew solo LP last night. Really weird, since it was probably the first time I've played it in at least 15 years. Anyway, it was Twang Bar King. Nice little record, even if it is a bit out of character for me. Sounds a bit Talking Heads like on a lot of the songs. She Is Not Dead is a cool song with interesting percussion. Fun listen and step back in time for me.

Any of you Belew fans listen to that one?

DarrenH
02-20-2004, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=DarrenH]Go directly to DGM.

>They should have everything you need in Krim.

(I believe its only stuff from the DGM label.)

Fripp IS DGM. He owns the label. Anyway, I checked it out, they have all the 80's stuff in the jewel case version. Their website is not the easiest to navigate.

Using the link I gave you, from the main page click on "SHOP"

After the page loads click on the area near the top that says, "Click here to shop from DGM"

After that page loads, use the pull down menu to select "King Crimson"

What you need are on pages 5 and 6.

Darren

Troy
02-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Weird...
I was just listening to an Adrian Belew solo LP last night. Really weird, since it was probably the first time I've played it in at least 15 years. Anyway, it was Twang Bar King. Nice little record, even if it is a bit out of character for me. Sounds a bit Talking Heads like on a lot of the songs. She Is Not Dead is a cool song with interesting percussion. Fun listen and step back in time for me.

Any of you Belew fans listen to that one?

Oh sure! I like it a lot. Especially his frantic playing on "Paint the Road" and the title track. "She is not Dead" is pretty experimental, lots of traditional middle-eastern rhythms. The disjointed comedy pop of "Fish Head" sits real well with me. I like "The Rail Song" a lot too. Not available on CD, but 3/4 of the songs are on a compilation disc of his first 3 solo albums called "Desires of the Rhino King".

Yeah, lots of Heads influence, but that makes sense because it wasn't too long after his stint with them. AB has always tended to take sound and feel from bands he works with into his solo albums. The guy's a sponge. In a good way.

nobody
02-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Kinda figured if anyone around here would like that one, it would be you.

And yeah, a lot of humor throughout the album.

mad rhetorik
02-20-2004, 03:00 PM
For 90's era live Krim you really must get Vroom Vroom and/or B'Boom. These are superb.

I second that. If you're a fan of <b>THRAK</b>, you <i>must</i> pick up <b>Vroom Vroom</b>. While the studio versions are good, the Double Trio usually sounds at its best when in a live atmosphere, IMO. The live performance of the title track @Mexico City is one of the most menacing things I've ever heard in my life. And this is coming from an avid listener of Meshuggah and Dillinger Escape Plan.

Dusty Chalk
02-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Actually, I have Twang Bar King, Lone Rhinoceros, and Desire Caught by the Tail on (albeit limited edition) CD's. I love those albums. I love that last track, "Ideal Woman"

Oh, I wouldn't know nuthin' 'bout that, i'm-a...i'm-a...i'm-a...uh.uh.uh...BACHELOR, myself!

Hyfi
02-26-2004, 11:56 AM
I saw them way back when they first performed tracks off of Beat and Discipline. I was expecting Court of the Crimson King and found my self wondering if I had tickets to the right show. I had them both on album and taped most of them both. I also have a double live called Absent Lovers where they do tracks from those disks also.

My 2 favs of that time would be Heartbeat and Elephant Talk. I like the studio versions better than the live.

It's only talk................