only two HDMI on TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : only two HDMI on TV

StoneMountain
05-30-2007, 02:21 AM
I do not have HD yet, but am planning to get at HDTV, specifically, a panasonic plasma to get the EZSync option. My delimma is this.

I would like to hook up a HD DVR through WOW Cable company, HD cable, and HD DVD player directly throught the HDMI inputs since all the signals are hi-def digital to preserve the highest image quality possible.
Unfortunately the television has only two HDMI inputs.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?

I know I could possibly hook up the HD cable to the DVR then to the TV, or through a receiver that could switch between two HDMI inputs to the TV (am ordering the Onkyo SR 605). However, I would prefer to directly input to the TV.

:confused:

N. Abstentia
05-30-2007, 03:21 AM
The only way to do it is to get a TV that has 3 HDMI inputs (Toshiba Regza). Since you're opposed to using any type of switcher, that's your only option.

However I don't understand why you're opposed to using a switcher??? That's exactly what they're for.

StoneMountain
05-30-2007, 02:41 PM
This may be lazy, but since the new Okyo SR 605 and above all are compatible with the Panasonic EZSync, I would like to be able to maximize my ability to use the minimum number of remote controls to control everything, if I eventually get the $6-700 panasonic bluray player and a panasonic DVR. Having a switcher would require me to actually leave the seat to the TV to switch inputs.

Is there a HDMI switcher that can be controlled with a remote control?

StoneMountain
05-30-2007, 04:58 PM
I answered my own question. I was looking for reviews on the Pz700u and found the HD Guru website that said Panasonic will come out with a PZ750 u that will have a third HDMI input from the front. Unfortunately it costs about $700 more. We shall see

N. Abstentia
05-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Well the first thing to do is make up your mind as to whether or not you want to use a switcher. If so, just get a receiver with a switcher built in and save that much money.

What exactly does this EZSync thing do? Seems like it's limiting you more than anything.

spf
05-31-2007, 03:59 AM
Well the first thing to do is make up your mind as to whether or not you want to use a switcher. If so, just get a receiver with a switcher built in and save that much money.

What exactly does this EZSync thing do? Seems like it's limiting you more than anything.

EZSync is one of those gimmicky new features based on the CE Control (CEC) schema that allows you to control multiple aspects of your equipment through the HDMI cable. Basically, EZSync certified components would "react" to each other accordingly if connected. It's neat but I wouldn't remortgage the house to get it, especially with a Harmony or Pronto sitting on the coffee table. :)

Shane

N. Abstentia
05-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Yeah EZ Sync sounds like Onkyo's built in control thingie...in other words useless.

pixelthis
05-31-2007, 11:26 PM
I only have one hdmi and get along fine with a switcher.
But I dont understand, every cable system I have seen only allows hdtv through a cable box, which usually includes a dvr if you want one, so why do you need three cables?
Seems like you would need only two, one for DVD and the other for cable.
The only way you'll get unscrambled hdtv from your cable is through the coax, and it wont be much.

StoneMountain
06-01-2007, 02:49 AM
Good point pixelthis.
For me, it still boils down to convenience (or laziness, depending on how you look at it). I would like to hook up the Onkyo Sr 605 with the Panasonic PZ 700u because that is necessary for the EZ Sync to work (which means less remote control buttons to push when changing inputs), which will use the third HDMI input. I have used a manual TV input switcher in the past, and I don't like the idea of physically having to get up and change inputs (isn't that why remote controls are so popular?).
Anyway, I just saw on another site that there will be a new Panasonic PZ 750u that will have a third HDMI input from the front. However, it will cost about $700-$900 more. So the current question is, "is $700 worth it for some convenience?" I will need to talk to my wife about it.

N. Abstentia
06-01-2007, 07:39 AM
I'd forget about the EZSync thing and just get what you want. Spend $100 and get a Harmony remote that will switch inputs for you automatically.

pixelthis
06-01-2007, 11:55 PM
harmony, pronto, any decent remote these days has macros, which automate several different functions, perfect for a lazy bugger such as yourself.
My vizio fer instance, has a buton for componet, one for hdmi/dtv, and one for analog inputs
When I select my recorder my receiver switches to the source, and my componet
button is pushed twice, setting my input and source with one button
Of course you have to program em, I HAD BUTTONS for music channels, push "smooth jaz and buttons 4, 2, and 9 are pushed, setting my cablebox to smooth jazz,
And then the blasted cable company put all of the music channels in the 800's!!!