Yamaha RXV Series [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RXV Series

Ace H
05-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Has Yamaha loosened their grip on allowing it's RX-V series A/V Receivers to be sold ONLY locally from "high end" electronics stores?

I've noticed a few on line retailers which, next to an RX-V receiver, used to have "to purchase this item you must visit our retail store". That statement has been removed and you can now add it to your cart.

elapsed
05-29-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm certain you can find RX-V series receivers through online retailers, but keep in mind that Yamaha will only honour warranty service on products purchased through an Authorized Retailer. If an authorized retailer is selling the product online, then all the power to them. Otherwise buyer beware!

Warranty information: http://yamaha.com/yec/customer/warranty.html?CTID=5010080

kexodusc
05-30-2007, 04:15 AM
I'm certain you can find RX-V series receivers through online retailers, but keep in mind that Yamaha will only honour warranty service on products purchased through an Authorized Retailer. If an authorized retailer is selling the product online, then all the power to them. Otherwise buyer beware!

Warranty information: http://yamaha.com/yec/customer/warranty.html?CTID=5010080
We've had this discussion a lot here in the past. Yamaha (and Denon and a few other brands) does try to control its distribution chain, but at the same time, they're the source that sells huge volume to the warehouses that sell to on-line retailers. They're speaking out of both sides of the mouth when it comes to this.
As for the honored warranty bit - again, we've when push comes to shove most states/countries have consumer laws that define the warranty as being intrinsically vested in the value of the product. Someone in the food chain has the original warranty, whether it's the end consumer or the middle-man retailer - getting service might be more of a pain in the rear end but if you buy from a reputable source you should be protected. I've bought "unauthorized" electronics and had them exchanged under warranty by the store, rather than repaired. It was cool because I got an upgrade in DVD player after the original model was replaced. A bit of research into the customer service of the company is all it takes. Just ask them "what happens if...". I get the impression that exchanging units is how most of these guys operate.
Use whatever option your more comfortable with. Or just buy the HTR line and don't worry about it.

Ace H
05-30-2007, 08:48 PM
In this case the HTR line is NOT the same as the equivalent RX-V model. Example: RX-V659 and equivalent model HTR-5960. RX-V model has assignable power amp (you can assign the surround backs to zone2, zone2 speaker terminals. zone2 audio output, +12volt trigger output and IR ports. HTR equivalent does NOT have these specs. According to Yamaha's MSRP they both list for the same price. If you're going to pay the same price, heck you may as well go for the one with the most bang for the buck.

P.S. I realized you can get the HTR model for slightly less but.....the RX-V model at least specs wise is better.

kexodusc
05-31-2007, 04:22 AM
P.S. I realized you can get the HTR model for slightly less but.....the RX-V model at least specs wise is better.

Better? No. It's got zone 2 features, which very few people use. Considering you can usually find the HTR for 10-20% cheaper or more I think it's a wash. I found the 5960 on for $300 in a quick search....beats the $450-$500 I see the 659 on for. Call JandR and they'll quote you a great rate.

Zone 2 is one feature that few people seem to use, I think I'm the exception. If it's an absolute necessity, you won't mind paying that extra $40 or so for the feature. Myself, I'd probably just use the "B" speaker terminals and set it to Zone B on the 5960 model. There's more than one way to skin a cat. If that's not an option and you absolutely need all the Zone 2 capabilities, then yeah, get the RX-V model. Guess it depends how much important that feature is.