Paradigm Studio 40? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Studio 40?

l2k88
05-29-2007, 02:10 PM
I heard these speakers today and they sound amazing. I am planning on buying speakers like these along with a sub. These speakers are a little out of my budget. Do you guys have any suggestions on speakers that compare, or at least close, that would be cheaper than these?

daviethek
05-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Nothing wrong with your choice.

If you are bent on getting a sub, consider this Axiom model

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m22ti_main.html

with slightly smaller drivers at about 1/2 the price of the Paradigm and spend the remainder on a good sub. ( not necessarily from axiom ). I'm sure other options will be mentioned here. Good luck.

Woochifer
05-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Maybe you should also look into the Studio 20, which lists for about $300 less than the 40. Although I haven't heard the new Studio v.4 series, the Studio 20 v.2 and v.3 both imaged better than the Studio 40. The 20 v.3 in particular is one of the most transparent sounding conventional box speakers I've heard at any price point. The 40 gives you more usable lower range, but that won't matter much if you use the subwoofer most of the time. If possible, do a direct comparison between the two models. If not using a subwoofer at the time of demo, try to ignore the lower frequencies, and focus on any differences in how the 20 and 40 handle the midrange, and how they "disappear" with two-channel sources.

spf
05-31-2007, 03:40 AM
Both davie and Wooch give great advice....but if budget is a big concern, I have heard a bookshelf that offers a fairly good comparison to the Studios for a fraction of the price. The Onix Reference 0.5 Monitors from av123, I find, are an amazing sounding little speaker but they do require a sub since they like a cutoff of around 70-80Hz. Have a look and see what you think. They are online but they have a 30 day return policy. Cheers

Shane

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=80.1

samgupta
06-01-2007, 10:47 PM
one thing you could do is look for a used pair of the studio 40s...just an idea, but since you have heard these speakers and like them, it's a known quantity...