Looking to build the best possible system. $$ is no object. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking to build the best possible system. $$ is no object.

GMichael
05-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I have $300 and I'm looking to build a system that will blow everything else out of the water. So what is the best system available? What are the best speakers? Are Bose really the best?
Please don't quote me a bunch of statistics or specifications. None of that means anything to me. Just tell me the best to buy.
And please don't tell me to go listen for myself. That's why I'm here asking YOU. If I wanted to ask ME I'd just think.
So just tell me. What's "the best?"

Rich-n-Texas
05-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Instigator!

kexodusc
05-29-2007, 11:04 AM
$300??? I could pull it off....

GMichael
05-29-2007, 11:18 AM
What? No suggestions yet?
You guys are worthless.
I'm going to ask my momy if I can just have her Bose system.

JSE
05-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Just check with the guy who (in best best Farley voice), Liiiives in a white Vaaaan......Down.......... by the Riiiiver! :ciappa:

JSE

Rich-n-Texas
05-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Here's a sugestion: take that $300 and spend it on your wife! Knowing you, she probably deserves it. :rolleyes:

GMichael
05-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Here's a sugestion: take that $300 and spend it on your wife! Knowing you, she probably deserves it. :rolleyes:

What should I get her?

Rich-n-Texas
05-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Some really expensive ear muffs. :biggrin5:

Feanor
05-29-2007, 12:20 PM
I have $300 and I'm looking to build a system that will blow everything else out of the water. So what is the best system available? What are the best speakers? Are Bose really the best?
Please don't quote me a bunch of statistics or specifications. None of that means anything to me. Just tell me the best to buy.
And please don't tell me to go listen for myself. That's why I'm here asking YOU. If I wanted to ask ME I'd just think.
So just tell me. What's "the best?"

Best BB option under $300 :cornut:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8264898&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03052&id=1170289604810

Has progressive scan, HDMI, iPod dock, USB input, 80 wt/ch (with only 11% THD). HOLY CRAP ... what more could you want?

GMichael
05-29-2007, 01:19 PM
It's like the sky has oppened up to let the sun shine through. Look at the pretty rainbow.

bobsticks
05-29-2007, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=GMichael]I have $300 and I'm looking to build a system that will blow everything else out of the water. So what is the best system available? [QUOTE]

Taking geographic proximity into consideration your best bet is to pay a crackhead $300.00 to break in and bogart Swish's rig.

daviethek
05-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Just check with the guy who (in best best Farley voice), Liiiives in a white Vaaaan......Down.......... by the Riiiiver! :ciappa:

JSE

I actually ran into a unit of these guys. I was at the Lowe's in Greensburg Pa about 5 weeks ago, and I'm heading back to my car with my usual armload of Lowe's stuff and there they were. They pulled up in a white ford panel van and told me about this wonderful extra stereo gear they had from a cancelled home installation. I nearly shat. My wife wanted to see the stuff. I dragged her to the car and told her the tale on the way home.
We both had a good laugh.

I feel 12.4 times cooler because I read the AR posts. Now to that 300.00 system......

JohnMichael
05-30-2007, 06:33 AM
$300, dang you must be rich.

GMichael
05-30-2007, 06:38 AM

Nooo.......

Mike

Duh.....

Resident Loser
05-30-2007, 07:29 AM
....an Onkyo TX-8222 receiver @$179 and a pair of Polk R150 loudspeakers for $89 (both at Crutchfield for those prices)...As a CD source: a portable CDP (and I absolutely swear by my $15 GPX which cost $7 after rebate) running on batts 'til I could swing a Philips universal wall-wart (about $12 from Wal-Mart)...Plug a 1/8" stereo mini-plug to RCA adapter (a Belkin or Philips also from el Waldo or a Ratshack item) into the "line out" (Yes, it has a line out jack) and you should be good to go...

jimHJJ(...just my two cents...)

GMichael
05-30-2007, 07:56 AM
....an Onkyo TX-8222 receiver @$179 and a pair of Polk R150 loudspeakers for $89 (both at Crutchfield for those prices)...As a CD source: a portable CDP (and I absolutely swear by my $15 GPX which cost $7 after rebate) running on batts 'til I could swing a Philips universal wall-wart (about $12 from Wal-Mart)...Plug a 1/8" stereo mini-plug to RCA adapter (a Belkin or Philips also from el Waldo or a Ratshack item) into the "line out" (Yes, it has a line out jack) and you should be good to go...

jimHJJ(...just my two cents...)

Will this sound better and louder than my friend's system? He's always braggin' 'bout his stuff. I wanna show him what a real system sounds like. He's got some kind of controller with amps that he can't even fit inside the same box. How old fashoin is that? And he's got BMW speakers. HAHAHA... Speakers from some car it sounds like to me. And he still uses one of them there a record players. Imagine that. He should wake up and smell the 16'th century.
I need a system that will be much louder than his, to show him what a great audiofile I am.
Will this system you suggest have it's own anteni or should I save my old coat hanger?

Rich-n-Texas
05-30-2007, 07:58 AM

I think I resent that. :wink:

I'm Rich (in name only).

basite
05-30-2007, 08:23 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIVINCI-7010-HOME-THEATER-SURROUND-SOUND-AUDIO-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ250120039900QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3 2861QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hands down :ciappa:

Resident Loser
05-30-2007, 08:47 AM
...if loud is what you want, get yerself a guitar amplifier and plug that portable CDP (you may want one with an AM/FM tuner in such a case) into it...Downside is it will be mono, but I can promise you that a 60Watt instrument amp will blow away just about any puny, little hi-fi in the volume department...

jimHJJ(...antenna not required...)

GMichael
05-30-2007, 09:51 AM
...if loud is what you want, get yerself a guitar amplifier and plug that portable CDP (you may want one with an AM/FM tuner in such a case) into it...Downside is it will be mono, but I can promise you that a 60Watt instrument amp will blow away just about any puny, little hi-fi in the volume department...

jimHJJ(...antenna not required...)

You just don't get it. AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich-n-Texas
05-30-2007, 11:05 AM
I think, just by virtue of the fact that he posted this question here in The Steel Cage tells us something... I just don't know what it is. Like I said, he's trying to instigate something...

GMichael
05-30-2007, 11:28 AM
I think, just by virtue of the fact that he posted this question here in The Steel Cage tells us something... I just don't know what it is. Like I said, he's trying to instigate something...

It's been boring here lately. We needed a little spice.

NOW TELL ME WHAT TO BUY!!!!!!!!

Rich-n-Texas
05-30-2007, 11:31 AM
How 'bout a bear trap? :biggrin5:

basite
05-30-2007, 11:42 AM
how about a pair of those $60 sony speakers? I hear they really RAWK!!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Specifications-of-Sony-Bookshelf-Speakers-SS-B1000/sem/rpsm/oid/179949/rpem/ccd/productDetailSpecification.do#tabs

and holy sh*t, they reach 50khz!! dang, they must be good, they even have yellow-ish woffers, and I heard the dealer was a really cute guy :ihih: :ciappa:

GMichael
05-30-2007, 11:55 AM
How 'bout a bear trap? :biggrin5:

I'd rather the bear just kept moving along. Bye bye Boo Boo.

GMichael
05-30-2007, 11:57 AM
how about a pair of those $60 sony speakers? I hear they really RAWK!!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Specifications-of-Sony-Bookshelf-Speakers-SS-B1000/sem/rpsm/oid/179949/rpem/ccd/productDetailSpecification.do#tabs

and holy sh*t, they reach 50khz!! dang, they must be good, they even have yellow-ish woffers, and I heard the dealer was a really cute guy :ihih: :ciappa:

Oh the memories.... sniff sniff......

Rich-n-Texas
05-30-2007, 05:11 PM
GM, I tried to return a green chicklet to you, but I was told I have to spread some around before I can give it to you again. What should I do?

Resident Loser
05-31-2007, 04:56 AM
You just don't get it. AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...I do get it...I'm just trying to be difficult in a passive/aggressive kinda' way...

However, you might want to consult with our erstwhile JBL expert, although he seems to have fallen off the face of the planet...

OR

$300 ?!?!?!...Cheeseball, you must have wax in your ears...What do you expect for that you boob?...Why it costs me more than that every time I bring my cables into the salon to have them re-cooked...The hand-crafted, wooden volume knob on my passive pre-amp cost more than that...I've spent more than that on capacitors when my crossovers were re-wired...I spent more than that having the directional wiring in my 3Wpc SET amp reoriented when the first "tech" installed them in the wrong direction...

What do you think this is, you Neanderthal...a poor man's game? Suitable for the near-deaf...I'd suggest you take up a new hobby, perhaps finger-painting...that would seem to be eminently suitable and befitting of your obviously limited abilities...and it should keep you quite entertained in a non-stressful way...Then of course, there's always a nice game, perhaps tiddly-winks or Chutes and Ladders, wouldn't that be nice for you? A nice, shiny wind-chime may be all the music you need...

jimHJJ(...mindless dolt...)

GMichael
05-31-2007, 05:19 AM

$300 ?!?!?!...Cheeseball, you must have wax in your ears...What do you expect for that you boob?...Why it costs me more than that every time I bring my cables into the salon to have them re-cooked...The hand-crafted, wooden volume knob on my passive pre-amp cost more than that...I've spent more than that on capacitors when my crossovers were re-wired...I spent more than that having the directional wiring in my 3Wpc SET amp reoriented when the first "tech" installed them in the wrong direction...

What do you think this is, you Neanderthal...a poor man's game? Suitable for the near-deaf...I'd suggest you take up a new hobby, perhaps finger-painting...that would seem to be eminently suitable and befitting of your obviously limited abilities...and it should keep you quite entertained in a non-stressful way...Then of course, there's always a nice game, perhaps tiddly-winks or Chutes and Ladders, wouldn't that be nice for you? A nice, shiny wind-chime may be all the music you need...

jimHJJ(...mindless dolt...)

I like this one the best. :ihih:

I have 4 pair of speakers. The first set is crap but look great. The second set is crap but have cool blue drivers. The third set is really crap but have black face covers. The last pair are Sony, nuf said. Which ones sound the best to you?

GMichael
05-31-2007, 05:20 AM
GM, I tried to return a green chicklet to you, but I was told I have to spread some around before I can give it to you again. What should I do?

I guess you should spread it around and stop trying to "give it to me again.":yikes:

Resident Loser
05-31-2007, 05:43 AM
I like this one the best. :ihih:

I have 4 pair of speakers. The first set is crap but look great. The second set is crap but have cool blue drivers. The third set is really crap but have black face covers. The last pair are Sony, nuf said. Which ones sound the best to you?

...but only if you listen to the following:

Miles Davis...Kind Of Blue

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers

John Coltrane...Blue Train

The Grateful Dead...Blues For Allah

The Rolling Stones...Black And Blue...This one may also work on the third set...

Joni Mitchell...Blue

The soundtrack from The Blue Max

Gershwin...Rhapsody In Blue

Anything by Blue Cheer

Anything on Blue Note

Anything on Blue Thumb

Generally speaking, Pink Floyd is right out...

jimHJJ(...things of that nature...)

GMichael
05-31-2007, 05:48 AM
...but only if you listen to the following:

Miles Davis...Kind Of Blue

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers

John Coltrane...Blue Train

The Grateful Dead...Blues For Allah

The Rolling Stones...Black And Blue...This one may also work on the third set...

Joni Mitchell...Blue

The soundtrack from The Blue Max

Gershwin...Rhapsody In Blue

Anything by Blue Cheer

Anything on Blue Note

Anything on Blue Thumb

Generally speaking, Pink Floyd is right out...

jimHJJ(...things of that nature...)

I think I see a pattern.

basite
05-31-2007, 08:35 AM
or to Grant green - Am I blue
or to Kenny Burrell - Blue lights V1&2

OR

actually, why not sell them all, steal your mom's receiver, and buy a set of JBL control 1's?
there was this guy once, named SVI, he really digged them :ciappa:

PeruvianSkies
06-13-2007, 09:23 PM
You could easily get ...

some Mark Levinson amps, Hansen Audio speakers, Cary, MBL components, maybe something from Dali, although I heard they are junk. Ummm, let's see....

Wilson makes some budget stuff, so does Gryphon Krell, Esoteric, BAT, Aerial, etc etc. Most of these you'll find at K-mart, so you really can't go wrong.

There are so many options with $300 it's unreal and you'll probably have enough leftover to get yourself a true competition sub, maybe like a 50" sub. Just maybe.

GMichael
06-14-2007, 05:14 AM
You could easily get ...

some Mark Levinson amps, Hansen Audio speakers, Cary, MBL components, maybe something from Dali, although I heard they are junk. Ummm, let's see....

Wilson makes some budget stuff, so does Gryphon Krell, Esoteric, BAT, Aerial, etc etc. Most of these you'll find at K-mart, so you really can't go wrong.

There are so many options with $300 it's unreal and you'll probably have enough leftover to get yourself a true competition sub, maybe like a 50" sub. Just maybe.

The others are OK, but Krell is junk. Think I'll just save a little more and get an IPOD with video.