Speaker/ soundcard upgrade advice needed! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker/ soundcard upgrade advice needed!

boxrick
05-28-2007, 03:13 AM
Currently im using a creative audigy 2 ZS with a set of logitech z5300s

http://www.zakpc.com/images/SPLOL5300.gif

However im gradually getting an urge to upgrade, its fairly obvious im getting screwed over with vista and creative since they refuse to release some decent drivers with CMS and all the other 5.1 controls i enjoy with xp. I also feel my 5300s are aging a little bit.

So with that in mind, what is my best decision to upgrade to, i could probably spare around top end £400 for a nice decent speaker/ sound card setup.

I ideally want 5.1 im willing to stick with this sound card for a bit whatever would be best.

Anyway :-

Can some people suggest me a nice 5.1 (speaker / sub/ amp) setup with a potential new soundcard, it doesn't need to be all in one, im willing to buy things like amps and stuff i just need suggestions of the best route to take. Around £400 budget. I will be using this for mainly music and movies, also games but not as much, optical connections would be nice ( for my 360 ) but not necessary!

bubbagump
05-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Would that be 400 pounds or 400 dollars? At 400 pounds, you have a lot of options. You can probably take advantage of the current exchange rate to leverage a really nice purchase or save your self a lot of cash. I assume since you're posting here rather than a gaming forum that sound quality and music are your priorities. Having said that, I've given up on computer speakers in general. There are a few exceptions but for the most part (assuming you have the space), I prefer bookshelf speakers. Currently I'm using a 2.1 set up but you can easily move to 5.1 (or 6.1/7.1 for that matter). My current favorite for the computer are the Insignia bookshelves. See the link below. The price has risen recently but you can pick up 6 for about 240 dollars (~120 pounds). Match these with an affordable but quality amp like the Panasonic SA-XR55 (street price about 200 dollars (100 pounds) and inexpensive sub (150-200 dollars) and you have a system that will satisfy for years. I have my computer connected to the Panny amp via a coax cable. The sound is stunningly clean and distortion free. The reason I like the Insignias is that they are somewhat lacking in the treble department. This is a problem when trying to fill a normal size room with realistic sound but in the near field, it's a boon. In the near field they sound lush, smooth and to my ear, just right. Not fatiguing at all. If this is overkill for you, Logitech is as good as it gets in affordable multichannel sound for the computer. I have the Z5500's and was happy with them for a long time.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&id=1138085354138