BIC Cassette Player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : BIC Cassette Player

only126db
05-27-2007, 07:33 PM
I just picked one up for free, a BIC T-4M, looks brand new but havin a hard time really finding any info on it, bits and pieces here and there. Has anyone used this model or similar models and do any of you know where to get new belts or the sizes so I can order generics?

mlsstl
05-28-2007, 04:25 AM
BIC was known more for their low to mid quality turntables, so you've got a search on your hands for their cassette info. I can offer one suggestion. If you need pinch rollers rebuilt and the parts are discontinued, check out www.terrysrubberrollers.com. He will take the old roller, remove the cracked and hardened rubber and replace it with new. I just had him do the pinch roller and idler pulley on my Tandberg open reel and he did a very nice job. (I don't think he does belts, but those should be easier to find.)

only126db
05-28-2007, 06:52 AM
I got an email from a guy at a vintage audio shop who says $140 for new belts/tune up and shipping back and forth....seems awful pricey to me, I suppose $5 a belt x 5(?)= $25, shipping =$50, then laborfigure 3hrs @ 25 hr, sounds about right.....

mlsstl
05-28-2007, 08:45 AM
$25 an hour for shop labor from a technically competent person? That is either dreamland or this guy is giving the store away. (Labor rates also include overhead such as rent, insurance, utilities, equipment amortization costs, etc. It is usually double or more what the fellow puts in his pocket.)

The two rollers for my Tandberg were $35 each plus $5 shipping. (However, round pinch rollers are harder to make correctly than belts.) Belt cost will depend on just how rare those belt sizes now are. Also, don't forget the pinch roller(s). They come into direct contact with the tape so should be checked carefully.

If you are confident about this guy, $140 is not bad at all.